pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: pcos - TTC #1 - irregular cycle

Postby inthemetro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:42 pm

Hey Little Bits, I had a great Passover. DH and I had the Seders with my relatives, and it was really lovely we could do it before heading back to the UK. It was lovely and familial and kind of crazy, but fun. I'm glad you're getting to have a belated Scottish Seder, and how cool you've got matzoh and your mom's recipes. It's nice to carry on those traditions in the expat life. Here there aren't too many Jews, but there are some--there are synagogues and I'm going to dinner at an Israeli colleague's, so it's nice having that.

I've been bombarded by work since my return. My flight back went well--empty planes are always most welcome for lying down--but I definitely underestimated how much I had to do this week. It's been a while since I've had so much work I've had to be up til midnight and then waking up before six, eek. Though it sounds like your status quo, poor thing. How's work going? How are you juggling the late stage of pregnancy and how tough your job is? I'm sorry to hear your trip was cancelled--I both understand the decision and it's also sad. Though it sounds like you could use the rest--the abdominal pain sounds awful. I give you a lot of credit for barreling through.

That's amazing how you can feel Wriggles in all different ways. Do you feel how he's positioned in there? How amazing--and I love the gymnastics familial element (also, awesome you went to Denmark for gymnastics--seems perfect to combine your sports interests, your group of friends, and a fantastic trip). And it's amazing you're staying active so well. I'm sticking to yoga and walking for the time being, but I'd like to get back into swimming--it sounds really ideal. I miss running, but I think long walks are probably better now that my belly is getting increasingly dominant--I'm starting to feel what you mentioned, how it's harder to bend and curl up. Though luckily I can't complain, just the occasional back pain but otherwise I've been feeling pretty good. I've still been pretty hungry, and my belly seems to be growing constantly (I am almost alarmed by how big its getting!).

I'm still waiting on the results of the genetic testing--the doctor's office called the lab, who said it should be either Friday or Monday--and my fingers are crossed, but I feel hopeful. In the meantime I'm really excited that we're having a boy and a girl. I agree--I love that they'll have each other but since they're different genders will have their own spaces more easily (people will tell them apart, etc.). It seems ideal. They'll be an incredible handful at first, but I love that they'll have each other for ever--and I'm excited that they'll be the same age and going through things together. My mother gushed that she loves that she can shop for little girl clothes and little boy clothes, and there's something about getting both worlds.

That's awesome you started the NCT classes. People always seem to make friends there--I like that Wriggles will have a little cohort. I can't wait to do ours. And how smart you're getting serious about the hypnobirthing now. It's true, you never know exactly when you'll give birth--it seems worth it to be prepared early. With twins the risk is much higher of giving birth early, so I'd definitely like to be all prepared by 33-4 weeks or so (and also I'm worried about whether I'll be too big and incapacitated to do much toward the end). Though, of course, the best laid plans...

I'm glad you've got sunshine down there! We've been having exceptionally cold weather, including snow and hail! Of all the ridiculous things when it's nearly May. I'm happy that my winter coat--which thankfully is a baggier, more men's wear inspired style--still buttons, but if this weather keeps up for too long I'm in trouble! Things are mostly hopping, and it's nice seeing friends here, but it's hard to be apart from DH again. At least this is the last time--he moves over here in mid-May, so it's not as bad as it could be. Anyway, I hope your week is going well, your matzoh is holding out, and chag sameach!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)
7 cycles of clomid: bfn
first cycle injectables: bfp!

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:35 am

Hey Little Bits, I hope your week is winding down and you're ready for a restful week back. Your nursery looks great--do you still have much to do? And I hope you get some rest and some sunshine.

On my end, I'm still waiting on the Maternit21 results (given that it's in the US, it's possible it'll still be in today, but probably more likely Monday at this point). I went for my anomaly scan here, and the troubling news is that baby girl is now measuring very small. Baby boy is still big--really big, in fact, he's in the 95th percentile. But his sister is only in the 7th percentile, which seems all the more troubling that two weeks ago she was completely average. The good news is that they both look good, she's not showing any signs of distress, her fluid levels are good, etc. It could just mean she's small, and that can be okay. (Since they each have a placenta, TTTS--where he could be taking all her nutrients--isn't a concern.) But they'll want to watch her more closely to make sure that she doesn't fall off the growth chart, and it'll mean that for the rest of the pregnancy my scans will be more frequent than they'd otherwise be. The thing that's scariest about it is that I'm still so early--though I was talking to the sonographer, not the doctor, and she wasn't sure what if any options there are at this stage. They can monitor baby girl, though, and ultrasounds can show if her placenta is fully functioning and if she's in distress.

For now, though, nothing much to do but wait. I'm hoping she'll have picked up her growth by the next ultrasound. I have an appointment in two weeks anyway, but the sonographer flagged it to send to the high risk clinic and said they'd most likely want to see me earlier, possibly to do another anomaly scan. I asked, and apparently there's nothing I can do in the meantime--I asked if I should eat more or be gaining more weight (I'm up 12 pounds at this point, I think, and I guess it hasn't stopped baby boy from growing), but she said that wouldn't make a difference.

Ack, if it's not one thing to worry about, it's another. In the meantime, I hope you are doing well and Wriggles isn't kicking you too hard! I have to say, I like feeling the babies more and more--the flutters are getting bigger and bigger, but now I worry to be aware of who is doing the fluttering (which is tough to tell, given their positioning).
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun May 01, 2016 4:37 am

Hey inthemetro,
I saw your message right before I went to sleep last night - I'm sorry this response is so delayed, my cousin is in town and I'm playing tour guide. Plus we had our Seder last night which was lovely but exhausting to prepare!

I am so sorry to hear that baby girl is measuring so small! As there is nothing you can do about it, and it isn't TTTS, it must be so frustrating to just have to wait until the next scan. At least it should just be a week away, not that it's any consolation. When will you be able to talk to a doctor again? It would be much better to know about your options from someone who knows! At least she seems fine other than being quite small. I'll be thinking positive thoughts for you! From the ultrasound scans can you tell which baby is which? I know at 20 weeks it's still just a bunch of little bumps!

I can tell now when Wriggles is pushing with a head or bum (one or the other!) elbow or knee, and hand or foot - they are all different sizes. Moving around is definitely getting more difficult and I've had a bit of tailbone pain as well as some pelvic pressure as Wriggle practices going head down.

I'm sorry to hear that work is so stressful - you need rest, not all nighters! I can't believe you are still waiting for the Mat21 test as well, I would have thought it would have appeared by now. When is you NCT class scheduled? We had our last meeting yesterday but we have all planned to come together in two weeks time at one of the lady's house just to catch up before the babies start coming. I think you're smart to be prepared early, although it might be a good idea to have the carseats and cots up and ready by 30 weeks - even singletons sometimes manage to arrive that early! Although I know we're both hoping that you'll go full term, it's always better to be prepared, right?

Well I'm taking my cousin out whisky tasting so I gotta run, but please let me know your results as soon as you get them! Next week *should* be calmer for me, so I'll be around more. I hope you are getting a bit of a relaxing weekend!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
Clomid 50mg (6/15) - no response
Clomid 100mg (8/15) - scan shows ONE follicle!!
DH: 34, perfect in every way
TTC since August 2014
First ever BFP October 22!! :bfp:

http://wishingformyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Mon May 02, 2016 7:41 am

I hope things went well with your super busy weekend. Congrats on having held a Seder on your own--I can imagine that must be truly exhausting. I felt exhausted and I only helped with one (that I didn't even host). I hope you had fun, and that all involved like learning a bit about Judaism.

I *should* find out the Maternit21 results today, and I'm still nervous about baby girl, but I'm trying to resign myself to thinking positively and knowing there's not much I can do. I know that in the overwhelming majority of cases, even of babies who are small (babies are small for gestational age if they are under the 10th percentile), if they're doing okay at 20 weeks things end up just fine in the end. I would definitely be more comforted if I knew for sure she was kicking. It's hard to tell--first because it's just bumps and flutter (though that's so cool you can make out so precisely what Wriggles is doing! I love that you can tell when it's practice turning time and which limb is coming out where--that's amazing!). But also their positioning isn't totally clear--from the recent ultrasounds, it was like he was kind of spread out in front (and more toward the right) and she is curled up on my left, but also behind. So if a flutter is far off toward my right, I'm pretty sure it's baby boy, but unless it's far off toward the left I'm never quite sure it's baby girl. And by far the most flutters are center-left, where it could be anybody's game, though it worries me that it's all robust baby boy and she's too weak. And it's early yet--they only flutter when I'm resting, and I definitely can't tell any precision (e.g. what exactly I'm feeling).

THat's amazing that you're already done with the NCT classes! Congratulations on passing yet another milestone. I start mine in late May--I'm really looking forward to it. So far (besides being nervous about their health!) I've been still feeling good, though I've noticed I'm less comfortable on my feet for long periods of time. I went shopping with a friend from her wedding dress and after going to a lot of different shops I had to sit down for a bit. How are you feeling? I'm crossing my fingers that the pain is manageable, and that you can find the time (and the place) to get a prenatal massage to help sooth at least the back pain. And in the meantime, good luck with yet another busy work week!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Wed May 04, 2016 11:14 am

Hey inthemetro,
My cousin left yesterday and today is my first day at home without having to entertain. I'm not going to lie, I feel completely shattered and I don't know how I'm going to wake up for two more days to go to work. I'm really looking forward to doing NOTHING useful this weekend, but we've got a list of baby related things to tackle. Sigh, I suppose I should get used to being exhausted as that's all that's in the near future! I've been checking anxiously to see if your Mat21 results were back - have you still not heard anything? I completely understand how frustrating it is not to know which baby is which, and it feels like it is taking so long to have them get bigger and grow. Is your next scan this week sometime? Do the days feel like they are crawling by right now as you wait? I can't even imagine what you are feeling right now.

Not much new going on here, except Wriggles seems to be happy being head down and pressing enthusiastically on my bladder and pelvis. The movements seem to be slightly less frequent but much more pronounced which makes me think s/he is just running out of space down there. I hear you on the need to sit down, I had to teach a lesson sitting in my chair today because my back hurt and I felt so knackered and the kids were really testing me. How is work going for you, has it calmed down a bit? Are you getting enough sleep? Only a few short weeks until DH joins you again, you've been so amazing so far on your own. And now you're really over the halfway mark - congrats! I'm sorry I've been such a rubbish poster, I just feel like at the end of the day the energy is sucked right out of me and it's all I can do to finish my work at home and then crawl into bed. I'm worried that I've set myself up for failure for deciding to stay at work so late. Everyone at my NCT class and Pregnancy Yoga go off at 36-37 weeks, while I'm aiming for 38+3. At first that seemed okay, but now it seems ambitious. As another mother at work said, no one is going to give me a medal for being exhausted and at work so late in the pregnancy. I guess I'll just have to take it day by day.

Thinking good thoughts your way! Send an update when you have one!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Thu May 05, 2016 2:43 pm

Man, Little Bits, I hope you can finally get some rest after tomorrow! Did you have a good time bonding with your cousin, or is the exhaustion just too dominant? I hear you about the frustration of not being able to handle everything you can pre-pregnancy. I also hear you on pushing yourself too thin, and I hope you can put off some of the baby-related to-do list for another week so you can just relax. I think you should give yourself credit for being so dedicated to your work, though you should realize that if something comes up and you and/or Wriggles need you to stop working earlier, that'll be okay. It seems like your colleagues are pretty supportive, but if they need to hire a sub for a few extra weeks, so be it. I trust your judgment and you'll see how things go as you go along.

I'm hoping to keep working right until I give birth, but I'm lucky in the timing. My teaching ends in mid-June, when I'll still be in my second tri (and any administrative things I have to do over the summer can be done via email). Over the summer I'm doing my own research and writing, which is pretty adaptable. I'd like to do some research in late June in France assuming all's well, and afterward I can get a fair amount done just with my computer and books at home (and DH can always pick me up extra things from the library if needed). But i'm hoping to get as much as possible before they come.

My first piece of news: I got the Maternit21 results today and both babies look good. Phew! The test is quite accurate overall (including for twins), and is extremely accurate for Down's, so it's really put my mind at ease. I feel very good not having an amnio. In hindsight I wish I hadn't had the quad screen, but it was nice to be able to have a non-invasive option to put my mind at ease.

Otherwise, things have been going pretty well. I ended up going in for a scan this week, just because baby girl was small and when I called to ask about whether I should come in again, they asked if I could feel both twins moving around. I couldn't--and there seemed to be less movement on my left side (where she was). So I went in for an extra scan just to be sure, and they looked great. They didn't measure either baby, but they saw baby girl's blood flow and fluid levels (all of which looked good), and she was moving around. She'd also shifted a bit toward the center--adorably I could see what looked like the two of them interacting--which helps explain why I haven't felt her down to the left like before. I think it's also just so early I don't feel that much: even as they were clearly moving on the screen I actually wasn't feeling either of them. My next appointment is with the consultant a week from today, but all seems good for the moment.

Other than that things are good, but crazy busy at work. I have a bunch of work to do this weekend, but I'll at least get to sleep in. And I'm hoping to take my marking outside to enjoy the beautiful spring weather that's finally here. I hope you're getting some rest, and remember: the weekend is so so so close!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun May 08, 2016 2:48 pm

I was so relived to hear of your positive results and ultrasound! Hurray! It must be so reassuring to see both little ones, especially things as detailed as the blood flow and fluid levels and movements. Before you know it their movements will be so pronounced that you will at least have that indicator to keep you sane!

It sounds like your schedule pre birth will be absolutely perfect for you - it's funny how things like that work out, isn't it? If I had gotten pregnant even s month earlier, it would have been so much more stressful but it's so nice to have the end of term around when I was due. This weekend has been busy but great, we went to an NCT nearly new sale and picked up some more sleepers and looked for a jogging stroller (no luck though!) and then today it was so sunny and warm I sat outside to write all of my reports. We got the chance to catch up with some neighbors I haven't seen in months (and now I appear VERY pregnant to everyone!) and I even had some hubby time. I probably should have done more work and ticked a few more things off my list, but there's always next week.... Right? :)

It's late here already and not much else is happening on my end so I'm going to call it a night. I hope you got the chance to relax this weekend and that your was equally as beautiful!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Tue May 10, 2016 12:25 pm

I'm glad you got to have a fairly relaxed weekend, and good for you for putting off a few things. I think you're totally right that the rest should be your priority. Plus, as stressed as I am about getting everything done (and I am!), I realize that much of it can wait. Even buying more stuff, sigh. It's hard to even know for sure what we need. We've gotten an assortment of clothes from friends, but I realized we have absolutely no newborn clothes, so second hand shopping is in the near future to start stocking up on that.

Things are going well on my end. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday, so I'm looking forward to getting to check in on the babies again. They've been particularly active--the flutters and kicks are stronger as I can even see my belly move. Sometimes it feels like there's a baby dance party going on in there. I like just resting with my hand on my belly and feeling them do their thing. i've also noticed I've been more achey. Sunday, to take advantage of gorgeous weather, I went out with a friend walking for a few hours. Nothing too intense, mind you, but i was actually sore! The pilates and yoga helps, but it's funny feeling my body changing. How have you been feeling? How's your abdominal pain?

I've also thought about you in terms of cravings--I can't get enough fruit lately. I hope you're still managing to get tons of fresh fruit. Anyway, I'm sorry to run quickly, but my week has been insane. Is it bad that I'm looking forward to the weekend already? Yeek! but I hope you're feeling good and are not too exhausted!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Thu May 12, 2016 1:40 pm

Hey Little_Bits, I hope you're holding up okay despite all the aches and pains. At least the weekend is unbelievably close, and I hope you focus on resting up and having your DH pamper you a little.

On my end, I had an appointment today. It was initially just for a cervical scan (which is long and good and I don't seem to be at risk of preterm labor), but they also measured the babies because of how small baby girl was last time. Baby girl is still a peanut--she dunked down to around the 5th percentile. The sonographer was good, though--she chalked up the difference (she was in the 7th percentile the last time) to randomness (different machine, different sonographer, etc.), and said the more important thing is she's grown a lot since the last time and she's basically stayed on her growth curve. If she's small, that's okay--what they're really worried about is her not growing. Otherwise things look good. And her brother's still super big and growing perfectly. He's clocking in around the 95th percentile, and he's already 1 pound 4 ounces, which seems like a lot at not even 22 weeks (baby girl, meanwhile, is just over 12 ounces).

I'll continue to get monitored a lot (probably scans every two weeks from here on out)--I'm back for a consultation with the doctor and another scan in a little over two weeks. It's worrisome, but for now the operating assumption is just that she's small. Her fluid levels were perfect, and given that baby boy is so big it seems unlikely there's some kind of uterine flow problem. And since she's growing she seems okay for now. I did have the thought that it's a relief baby boy is so big--he'll be more ready if she shows signs of distress later on and they need to be born earlier than is ideal.

Anyway, sorry for going to worst case scenarios. Overall I felt real call for confidence. The most likely explanation (that she's just small) is a fine one. And, as a friend of mine said philosophically, this is where it begins: I'll be worrying about them for a long time! I'm going to go get some blueberries for a late night snack as I mark papers and respond to work emails.

How's it feeling as you're getting so close to you due date? Are you projecting more or dreaming about what Wriggles will be like? Have you made any headway with your DH on names? And I hope the kicking is enough so you get to enjoy but not so much as to be uncomfortable!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Fri May 13, 2016 9:02 am

Also, whoa, happy birthday!!! Isn't it the greatest to turn 30 while pregnant? It really takes any potential sting out of entering a new decade. But I hope you had a good celebration--ideally a restful enough one! It's nice that you get to enter such a new and much desired and anticipated phase of your life. My 30s feel so right to me, for whatever it's worth--I think I won't miss those elements of my 20s I'm giving up (e.g. i'm thrilled to focus on motherhood, my career, etc.). It was great doing so much travel and having adventures, but it's nice to settle down and feels just right.

I hope there are a lot of presents and happy celebrations!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sat May 14, 2016 10:49 am

Oh my goodness, I am so sorry that I haven't responded this week! Reports were due on Friday, so I have spent the last week madly trying to get them finished before the deadline.

I'm glad you are getting so much movement now, and I totally know what you mean about a dance party! Also, how wonderful that you had positive things coming out of the scan, even if your baby girl is still small. From what I've read, boys are generally just bigger although your boy is very high in the percentiles! Like you said, at least it means he'll be being and strong in case you need to deliver earlier for baby girl. I can't believe your 22 weeks already, at 24 a fetus is viable - you are so close! I'm so glad they'll be scanning you every two weeks, it seems so important with twins (always higher risk) and your babies in particular. I am dying to meet my little one and see what s/he looks like as we decided not to pay for another scan. I can feel the baby is okay and all the tests have been good so I'm not worried.

Things over here are nice and relaxed this weekend - now that my reports are done! It means I can really relax into my job as I've only got 5 weeks left and if I go off early it's no big deal. I'm still eating as healthy as possible with lots of fresh fruit (and the occasional ice cream and curry!). Hubby and I went for a nice walk in the sunshine today as the weather is beautiful here. Tomorrow the girls from my NCT class are coming over for tea and cakes and a chat and then it's back to work as usual. I'm feeling very large and awkward and I bump the bump into something nearly everyday. I just can't get used to how big it is! I'm putting on about a pound a week, but it still looks like it's only going to my tummy so I'm A-OK with that. We have our big delivery of things from John Lewis in a week and a half, and then the cot will be put together and the nursery will be almost done. I really can't wait! I think by week 35 I'll have my hospital bag mostly packed, just in case. I had a dream the baby came out June 10th, and I'd like to be ready- you never know! Part of me can't believe it's almost time to meet my little Wriggles while the other part wants that time to come more quickly. Thanks for the birthday message, it was nice turning 30 while pregnant - I don't know what I would have done if I wasn't pregnant yet... It brought me back to all that struggling and it feels so distant now but I still haven't forgotten how I felt.

I hope your weekend is lovely and relaxing and you aren't doing too much work!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Sun May 15, 2016 1:36 pm

I can imagine how hard work is getting. I hope you're managing to balance all the aches and pains and just the general aspect of getting to be lugging around such a big belly with work. And from your photos I can assure you you're all belly (and all adorable)! Of course that doesn't take away from all the discomforts of late pregnancy, but it should reassure you. And it's a good sign that Wriggles is bulking up as s/he should be. I like the you're almost 34 weeks. At my last visit they talked to me about 34 weeks being the cutoff where everyone just gets way chiller about babies being born. Apparently being born early once you've crossed the 34 week mark is not so bad, and if it needs to happen, babies do great--I think this is just the kind of thing people talk about in the high risk world, but still it can't hurt to know. So I'm sure Wriggles will be full term (but hopefully kind to you and not too late!), but it's just to say, you're crossing into a safe zone.

Telling all my colleagues about the pregnancy ended up working out well. I'm going to take a leave for the whole fall term, and everyone's been unbelievably gracious about it. So it's all worked out so far. I'm assuming it's unlikely that anything'll happen that will really jeopardize my ability to work this term--given that it ends June 17th and I don't even need to be on my feet, I teach sitting down--but everyone (students and colleagues) have been super accommodating when I've had to reschedule for medical appointments.

I'm glad things are really coming together in getting ready for Wriggles' arrival. Having the cot set up will make it more real for sure! And it's probably a good idea pulling the hospital bag together, if nothing else you'll feel better about it. Do you live near the hospital? I figure that's a good thing for us--we're pretty close, so worst case if something's unexpected DH can always go grab whatever's needed with minimal fuss.

That's great you're still eating so healthy. I've been fairly healthy--bread is my downfall, I love fresh bread so much, but I've stayed away mostly from sweets. It was funny--I went out to dinner with friends on Friday and had ice cream after, and the babies went so crazy afterward. I worried that it was a sign sugar did bad things for them, and I realized I haven't been having much added sugar. Besides a teensy bit in my oatmeal with breakfasts, etc., but I think staying away from desserts has probably been a good thing.

Thanks for pointing out that I'm almost near viability! That is definitely something to celebrate. By the next scan I'll have crossed the 24 week line. Of course hopefully they have way (!!) longer to go, but it makes me feel better that we're over on that end of things, particularly given concerns about baby girl's growth. The sonographers had mentioned that boys are bigger than girls generally too, but the difference is so huge and baby girl is so small that it's what's had people worried. At my last appointment they were relieved I'd had the Maternit21 done, because apparently sometimes size can be a sign of chromosomal problems--so it turned out okay we had that scare over the quad screen, to have had something else productive done. Whew. For now I'm hopeful baby girl keeps her growth curve, though it's a shame they couldn't both be happily right in the middle.

I'm sorry to hear that you don't get any more scans, but it's great that things have been so on track for Wriggles. That's the amazing thing--how the overwhelming majority of babies are perfectly fine. I mean, even babies who are SGA (small for dates) like baby girl mostly turn out okay--and that's something that triggers lots of monitoring. But for babies who look perfect, they just turn out to be a non-eventful thing. I wonder, though, how do they know if the baby's breech? Can they tell without an ultrasound? Or is that only an important thing for twins (they told me that policy with twins is that if the baby closer to the cervix--baby boy in my case--is breech, they need a c-section)?

I'm glad you got to have a low key birthday with celebrations from students and your DH. I hear you about how nice it is to cross the threshold into a new decade while pregnant. Funnily enough I was also pregnant when I turned 30 (it was when I had the mc, but of course I didn't know that yet). But it feels like a perfect thing, to be settling into one's thirties and parenthood at the same time. I also hear you about feeling both connected to and also distant from the enormous struggles of ttc. It was such an intense chapter of our lives, and how beautiful that we got to where we are now. It makes me so, so grateful, and I've thought about what you said about the ttc process making us better parents. You're going to be a great mother--patient, determined, and settled.
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Wed May 18, 2016 9:44 am

Hey Inthemetro,
Sorry again for being such an intermittent poster. I feel like everyday rushes by with too much work and not enough resting/sleeping. I'm glad to hear telling your colleagues worked out well. I felt so weird being in my new job and suddenly pregnant - but that is life circumstances for you! It's nice to have such supportive people around you, although I feel in general in an educational setting people are more understanding that you are person with a life, not just someone to make them more money!

We're about 15 minutes from the hospital/birthing centre that we've put as our first choice. Apparently, however, if they're having a very busy night we might get diverted to a different hospital I've half an hour away (more than an hour in bad traffic!). Fingers crossed that doesn't happen! It's all getting very real now as it gets closer - with only 6 weeks to go I can't believe that I will have a little person to show for it all.

As for the position of the baby, at my appointments the midwife uses a combination of feeling my tummy and using a droplet to find the heartbeat to know the position of the baby. I'm not so sure about twins, it might be quite hard to feel them! I will tell you that I know where the head or bum are at this point, because both are very large and round so when they are poking out of my tummy I can see it! It's funny, I never realized that at some point the baby would be so big that I basically would feel like I was actually carrying a person. I think I just thought it would be a big round tummy and not quite so much protruding baby!

Well I'm off to get my hubby from the airport, I hope your week is less brutal than mine. I'm exhausted and irritable and just need a good long weekend... But it's only Wednesday...
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inthemetro » Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 pm

Oh wow, I learned a lot. It's funny--I'm still fuzzy on how the third tri works, I hadn't even realized you could feel how Wriggles is positioned--or a midwife could feel through touching your belly! That's amazing. Even though I feel them moving and kicking, my guys are still too small to have a sense of how they are positioned except via ultrasound, and I hadn't realized how that changes (though of course it makes sense). I also am not sure how much different it is with twins--I think one big difference is that it's tough via doppler to tell that it's two of them and not just the same baby twice (which actually makes me glad I didn't get a doppler early in pregnancy, because I think I would have driven myself crazy). But that's amazing that you can really feel like you're carrying a protruding baby--it's both so cool and a little crazy.

Also, fascinating about how there are contingency plans for the birth. Makes sense, but still, my fingers are crossed you can stay at the birth center that you chose. I have no idea how it works for me, but I'll ask (I'm hoping I'll definitely be at this hospital, both because I like the doctors, I'm high risk and it seems the best in the area for that, and also because I've gotten to know the place really well since I'm there a lot).

I like what you said about our jobs being naturally more understanding. It makes a lot of sense--people don't do what we do if you're just in it to make money. There's a labor of love aspect. I was nervous in part because my department is overwhelmingly male, but actually everyone was really understanding and warm about it and it doesn't seem like anyone resents me for taking leave. It was a big relief all around.

I'm sorry to hear about the brutal week--and no need for apologies, I totally understand. It's a hectic time, it sounds like work's been especially taxing, and I can only imagine how hard it must be on you physically these days. At least your DH is back (enjoy!). My DH leaves on Friday and gets here on Saturday, and I couldn't be more excited. In the meantime I'm looking forward to starting my NCT class on Thursday. I'm psyched to get to meet the others and to learn a lot. For now I'm off to do yet more work (eek), but I'm rooting for you making it to a relaxing weekend!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Sun May 22, 2016 1:58 am

It's Sunday already here (noo!!!!) although each day brings me closer to meeting my little Wriggles so I guess I'm okay with another week starting. I've only got 18 real work days left, which doesn't sound too bad actually. Also in the mail I got written confirmation of 100% maternity pay for the first 13 weeks then a weekly stipend after that. Even though I knew I was eligible, it's nice to have it official and have that little bit extra to keep us going. I'm definitely large enough now that everyone tells me I look like I must be due any day! It just makes me think that people don't really know what someone pregnant is supposed to look like, because there are women who look WAY more pregnant than me. Still, I try to be kind and just smile and say that I've still got 5ish weeks to go (maybe more!).

This weekend is full of baby things - we put together the chest of drawers, I'm washing all the baby clothes, writing my birth plan, packing my bag and reorganizing all the cupboards. I feel like with only 5 weekends left I am rapidly running out of time to get things done! I haven't had any new or weird symptoms, although I am noticing more braxton hicks contractions. Luckily they don't hurt, they just make my tummy go a funny shape and really hard.

How are you feeling now? Your DH should be back with you (YAY!) and that means you need to get pampered. You deserve it! You are growing TWO people, how miraculous is that? I don't think we give ourselves enough credit for how much work it is just to grow one person (and a placenta) and I agree that it's amazing how many babies turn out just fine. My emotions were a little wobbly this morning as I watched Grey's Anatomy and there was a baby being born. My goodness how sappy I am, I hope it doesn't get any worse. Did you settle on a babymoon in the end? I hope work for the rest of the week wasn't too bad and that you're getting a nice rest in. I get Monday off this week, and I think it's a holiday Monday next week for you in England.

I had a funny situation with my students this week when they asked about another teacher that was hanging around the classroom. She is my emergency helper should I go off early, and then they started getting very worried that the baby would appear in the classroom! We had to talk about how long it takes babies to make an appearance (lots of hours!) and how I could walk to the hospital before the baby came if I had to. They seemed very relieved that I wouldn't just give a scream in the middle of class and a baby would drop out of me. 8 year olds can be so fun sometimes! I've got another midwife appointment this Friday, then one just two weeks after that as they'll start monitoring me more. I'm hoping Wriggles is still head down and will stay that way until the birth - I certainly don't want a breech baby! Are you hoping for a vaginal delivery, and then having the c-section as a last resort? Or do they just put down a c-section as normal for twins? I would think once you got baby boy out, baby girl would follow so easily, but I guess it all depends on positioning. How's the collection of baby things going? Have you started picking out the big and small things? Made a registry? I keep pouring over lists checking to see if I've missed anything although I know that I can always go out and buy something I need it's so much harder with a baby. Thank goodness for Amazon and on-line shopping! My colleagues are throwing me a baby shower on Wednesday and I am very excited to celebrate with them. I know it will be much more low-key than my American one but still sweet to be with friends.

Oh and your NCT class starts next week, very exciting! I hope the other couples are as lovely as the ones that we've met, and that you learn helpful and useful things. We really enjoyed our course even though it was two intense weekends. Well I'm off to another second-hand sale, my last one before the baby comes. I'm still hopeful about finding a gently used jogging stroller but so far no luck. Fingers crossed!
TTC since August 2014

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

PreviousNext

Return to PCOS Support