No cycle, pcos, & when to get on metformin?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

No cycle, pcos, & when to get on metformin?

Postby laurabf » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:20 pm

Hi All,

I was diagnosed with pcos years ago. I have been eating right and working out to get my weight under control. I have wanted kids for years but the time wasn't right. Now hubby and I are on the same page, I feel like I can hardly wait. The only way I have had my period in the last 6 years is by regulating my cycle with the pill and progesterone. We have only been ttc for a few days. Aside from making sure I have periods a few times a year I have been off by for 6 years. While I know I should try for several months before going to the Dr for metformin it seems like a waste as the only thing I can improve our chances is frequency, which I have doubts about how effective that will be. Now that we are are ready, I am completely consumed by it.
laurabf

Re: No cycle, pcos, & when to get on metformin?

Postby redmeetsfood » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:06 am

Hi Laura! My doc diagnosed PCOS and prescribed met at the same visit. There was no reason to wait as we had already been trying for a few months. I say trust your gut. If you've never had regular periods, it might be good to just start the met. I've been on it for almost 5 months and we're still trying to get my cycles regulated (CD86 over here, boo!).
31, Married Feb 2014
TTC since March 2014
Diagnosed w/ PCOS Sept 2014
Metformin since Sept 2014
redmeetsfood

Postby Jzscott » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Hi Laura, I've not been diagnosed with pcos although my doctor has prescribed metformin because I have very long irregular cycles (no less then 45 days, averaging about 60. My last one was 108). We had been ttc since sept 2013 and I had a miscarriage in December. I had an appointment shortly after to talk about taking clomid and he went ahead and prescribed metformin as well. I'm waiting for AF to come then I'll start clomid. But I've been taking metformin since January 14 and I'm now up to 1500 mg. if you think you'd like to take this medication just ask our doctor. Most of the time they give you what you want, especially if you've already been diagnosed with pcos. Keep us updated! Hopefully I see some bfps soon!
J&M <3
DS: 12/15/15
TTC #2
Jzscott
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby bluenoser » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:13 am

I was diagnosed with pcos in August and was put on Met that same day. I had 2 regular cycles after starting Met and using provera to jump start me. Then my cycle stopped again, so we're still working on regulating me.
If your cycles are irregular it wouldn't hurt to ask your Dr about starting Met.
Me: 36
DH: 34
Stepdaughter: 11
Stepson: 9

dreamingoftwopinklines.blogspot.ca
bluenoser
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support