Starting metformin... help!

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Starting metformin... help!

Postby pumpkinseed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:41 am

Anyone on metformin that can give me some advice. I'm starting on 500mg extended release (one a day) and increasing from there.

What should I eat or avoid? With meals? Anything to help with side effects if I do get them?

Trying to avoid feeling like crap ...

What are the actual side affects. I've read it causes GI issues, but it's kind of vague.

How soon after the pill did you start feeling side effects, for how long each day (all day?), what were your exact symptoms and what helped you feel better? How long until you felt better on metformin.

How did you adjust your diet? Thanks so much!!!
Me: 37 / DH: 43 / G-free / Autoimmune thyroid disease (nature-throid)
Lovenox, metanx, baby aspirin, prometrium, vitamin d3, prenatal, progesterone
MMC: 01-14-15
CP: 4-12-15
MMC: 7-13-15 (d&c, heartbeat was seen but gone at 8 weeks, 2 days)
TTC ON HOLD WHILE I AWAIT RESULTS, HOPING FOR RAINBOW BABY
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Starting metformin... help!

Postby bluenoser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:57 am

I'm on 500mg twice a day. I take mine with meals.
At first I had some stomach upset, but after about 2 weeks that settled. I don't recall when the side effects showed up, a week or 10 days after I started taking it maybe.

I know some people who have taken it without issue. Everyone is different when it comes to meds, you may have no issues at all.

Good luck!
Me: 36
DH: 34
Stepdaughter: 11
Stepson: 9

dreamingoftwopinklines.blogspot.ca
bluenoser
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby pumpkinseed » Sun Feb 15, 2015 12:29 pm

Thanks, bluenoser!

So your symptoms started 10 day after taking? When you say stomach upset - do you mean nausea or diarrhea or both? Was it constant all day? Did anything help it?

Thanks again
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby bluenoser » Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:14 pm

I had diarrhea. It started roughly at 10 days. I started it back in August, at this point I don't remember exactly. It was pretty much an all day thing. I just let it run its course, I didn't do anything to try to counteract it. It wasn't the kind that I had to always be close to the bathroom, rather an unhappy tummy.
Me: 36
DH: 34
Stepdaughter: 11
Stepson: 9

dreamingoftwopinklines.blogspot.ca
bluenoser
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby kflores31 » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:43 pm

I've heard that the extended release tabs are really good and many people don't experience a ton of side effects. I'm currently on 1500mg of the regular Metformin. I started on 500mg for a week, then 1000mg for a week, then up to 1500mg. I didn't experience any side effects until the second week I think and it was only diarrhea. And not the running to the bathroom all day kind, just whenever I did have to go that day, it was diarrhea and not the normal #2. Certian foods like greasy/fast food tend to make the diarrhea and tummy upset worse. I take one pill at breakfast, one with lunch, and my last one with dinner. I've been taking Met for 44 days now, and no ovulation for me yet. I'm not giving up yet, I heard it can take a few months to see its full effect. GL to you!
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby redmeetsfood » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:22 pm

I take 1500mg a day, one 500mg pill with each meal. AF came three times in the first month I was taking it, but I was really nauseas at first, so my doc said back off to two pills. Then no AF for three months. So my new doc said go back up to three pills a day and that my body could probably handle it, but if not we could consider an anti-nasuea med. I had some nausea and diarrhea in the first couple days after upping the dosage back to 1500mg, but then it went away and I've been fine since. I upped the dosage on CD90-ish and on CD106 I finally got a period.

So that's a long story, but the point is, you may have some side effects and you may have to mess with the dosage a bit. They usually recommend starting with 500mg and upping it by 500mg each week, but clearly my body needed a longer adjustment period to be able to tolerate the higher dosage.

Good luck and keep us posted!
31, Married Feb 2014
TTC since March 2014
Diagnosed w/ PCOS Sept 2014
Metformin since Sept 2014
redmeetsfood

Postby charlieeex » Tue Feb 17, 2015 3:44 am

Metformin has made my cycles so much better. I've gone from 90 day cycles to around 34.

I would suggest not to eat much take away and fatty foods as they almost always make me suffer the next morning. Everything else im ok with, it's honestly not that bad. Although I did feel very sick moving from 1000mg to 1500mg but only for a little while.
I don't take mine with food, I take them every night before bed and sleep off the effects - that's what my doc told me to do. :)
Hope this helps x
Hubby and I both 26.

TTC # 1 since October 2013.

Diagnosed with PCOS, factor V carrier.

DH-- low sperm count - good morphology, low motility, also has a small varicocele.

June 1 2015 - Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, dye test and d&c.

March 2016 - Round 1 IVF/ICSI 8 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilised. 5 day transfer of a perfect A grade blastocyst = Chemical, none frozen.

June 2016 - Round 2 IVF/ICSI 13 eggs, all mature, 10 fertilised. 3 day transfer :bfp:
Beta = 169!
EDD MARCH 20 2017
7w2d scan = hb 148
8w2d scan = hb 167!

We welcomed our little boy, William Paul into the world on 27th of February 2017, 4lb 14oz. Life is good.

We are very lucky to have 5 little embryos on ice
charlieeex
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby pumpkinseed » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:38 am

Thanks ladies for the tips. I'm debating taking it to be honest. I prefer to stay off any and all meds if possible, like most of us would prefer to!

I notice most of u take it regulate your cycle, I don't have that issue so I'm confused about needing to take it.

I'm a little confused as to why doc wants me on it. She's an RI and my fsh/lh/amh, insulin, testoterone, etc are normal. I just had m/c and i am hypothyroid. she uncovered 4 blood clotting disorders and said the metforminn can help with egg quality. I have PCO but not PCOS (no symptoms - just ovaries have pearls). Always have regular periods (28-30) and ovulate day 14 every month.

Just got my first period after m/c. I started spotting at 29 days and full flow at 33. I'm happy about that as I've read it can take awhile for period to return after m/c.

I think she mentioned something about it helping egg quality but I feel improving diet could do it alone. I am not overweight, but have been eating more carbs, chips, etc since ttc due to the stress so I am going back to salads etc and more protein vs carb.

Any idea why she would want me on this? I plan to call nurse again. Dr appt was a lot of information and overwhelming. I understand need to be on lovenox for clotting issues but not understanding need for metformin. Here are my abnormal results:

CD19+ B cell level = 16.2 high (2-12 is normal)
CD5+ B-1 cell level = 16.6 high (5-10 is normal)
TH1 Dominant
Homocysteine - 10.5 high (<10.4 is normal)
Immunogolobulin A (IgA) = 75, low (81 - 563 normal)
Factor XIII gene (aka PAI-1 4G/5G) was heterozygous mutated.
B-Fibrinogen gene (aka 455g/a) was heterozygous mutated.
PAI-1 gene was heterozygous mutated.
MTHFR (C677T) gene was heterozygous mutated.
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby charlieeex » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:59 pm

I was also told that having Pco can make it harder for egg to implant and that's why you miscarry. If I ever get my bfp I will be taking metformin until 13 weeks and 1 day. This is what my doctor told me.
Hubby and I both 26.

TTC # 1 since October 2013.

Diagnosed with PCOS, factor V carrier.

DH-- low sperm count - good morphology, low motility, also has a small varicocele.

June 1 2015 - Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, dye test and d&c.

March 2016 - Round 1 IVF/ICSI 8 eggs, 6 mature, 4 fertilised. 5 day transfer of a perfect A grade blastocyst = Chemical, none frozen.

June 2016 - Round 2 IVF/ICSI 13 eggs, all mature, 10 fertilised. 3 day transfer :bfp:
Beta = 169!
EDD MARCH 20 2017
7w2d scan = hb 148
8w2d scan = hb 167!

We welcomed our little boy, William Paul into the world on 27th of February 2017, 4lb 14oz. Life is good.

We are very lucky to have 5 little embryos on ice
charlieeex
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby pumpkinseed » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:39 pm

thanks charlie for explaining...
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to PCOS Support