Ultrasound to check follicle growth

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Ultrasound to check follicle growth

Postby pumpkinseed » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:10 pm

I had an ultrasound done on cycle day 12. It showed 12 follicles on left ovary (4.0 - 8.4mm in size) and 16 follicles on right ovary (3.6 - 6.2 mm in size). The biggest follicle was on right ovary = 16.9mm.

Pretty sure I ovulated from the right side (cd15) as I had pain off and on day the before and then LH surged (both cheapie and digital positive). I don't have PCOS (labs normal, no symptoms, cycles regular) but have polycystic ovaries (seen on ultrasound). I tend to ovulate cd14-15. I have a 29 day cycle on average.

What is a normal amount of follicles to have for average person -vs- pcos person (natural cycle)?

AMH - 2.49 / FSH: 5.3 / LH 5.1 as of October 2014. Those appear to be good numbers but I worry as I had a miscarriage and it seems like the normal is 7-8 follicles per side, so does that mean I have good reserve but bad quality? Does more follicles mean bad quality?

My cycles are not spot on since miscarriage (due to spotting) but pretty close. Ovulation, I've been tracking with OPK's last few months, and according to OPK ovulation is pretty normal. This is first month TTC since m/c so nervous...

Thanks...
Me: 37 / DH: 43 / G-free / Autoimmune thyroid disease (nature-throid)
Lovenox, metanx, baby aspirin, prometrium, vitamin d3, prenatal, progesterone
MMC: 01-14-15
CP: 4-12-15
MMC: 7-13-15 (d&c, heartbeat was seen but gone at 8 weeks, 2 days)
TTC ON HOLD WHILE I AWAIT RESULTS, HOPING FOR RAINBOW BABY
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Ultrasound to check follicle growth

Postby pumpkinseed » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:29 am

Does anyone know the answer to this? I just had a CP (or am having one now). I had a mmc back in January.
I see women with PCOS getting pregnant all the time. I have normal cycles, normal labs, just polycystic ovaries on ultrasound. Seems mild from what I've found, so not certain this is the cause of my miscarriages.

Just trying to get to the bottom of this. Anyone have similar stories or info?

Thanks
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ricemill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:04 pm

Oh no pumpkinseed I'm so sorry you're going through this! I have PCOS (20 follicles on each ovary) when originally diagnosed by RE. I can tell you that I've experienced two early losses (chemical pregnancies). While I don't have a definitive answer, my doctor seems to think they are due to PCOS. With PCOS you have to keep in mind that hormones are a bit wonky. Usually there's a delayed ovulation which could mean diminished egg quality/lining quality by the time the egg gets there. My theory is that since PCOS is known to cause estrogen dominance, there wasn't enough progesterone to sustain a pregnancy. RE now has me on progesterone starting from CD3 throughout luteal phase. I'm hoping this will help me get my rainbow. I'm sorry I don't necessarily have all the answers for you and I'm sorry you are going through another loss. Sending lots of cyber hugs and future baby dust
ricemill
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby ricemill » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:06 pm

Also, are you seeing an RE? Are you on Clomid or fertility meds at all? I'm just wondering because you mentioned getting ultrasounds to check growth. Usually if you are being monitored like that you will also get a trigger shot to help you ovulate/produce stronger O. If you are not already under the care of an RE, I could not recommend it more highly. They will take very good care of you.
ricemill
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby pumpkinseed » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:09 pm

thanks ricemill, sorry for your losses as well. this whole waiting game sucks.

i don't have pcos, just pco, and ovulation seems to occur on time (no delay) but i'm still eating low carb just to see if it helps. no clomid or anything. my RI suggested metformin but I don't do well with gi stuff so trying diet which i feel is prob a better route for me.

my RI ran ultrasound on cd11 just to see blood flow as i started on lovenox for blood clotting mutations. blood flow and lining seemed to improve.

what are your lab values, fsh, lh, amh? is your testerone or insulin high? mine were all normal so i haven't a clue... just more questions.

what day are u in terms of ttc? i wish you lots of luck and thanks for responding!

oh and i was also on prometrium from cd3 this cycle. still ended in cp but i've heard it can help lining, etc and won't hurt. hope it works for u...
pumpkinseed
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby ricemill » Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:30 pm

I don't have my test result numbers, my doc has those. Everything was great besides the ones that correspond with PCOS, LH and AMH maybe? I don't have insulin resistance or problems with testosterone.

Right now I'm on 3dpo, had a trigger this cycle and took Clomid CD6-10 for the first time. We'll see what happens! Hope we get good news soon.
ricemill
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support