Metformin, Spiro, and Weight Loss?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Metformin, Spiro, and Weight Loss?

Postby essiejames23 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 am

Hi Everyone! I was diagnosed with PCOS last week by ultrasound (multiple cysts - she said definitely pcos). She didn't bother to do blood tests, but started me on Metformin and Spirolactone. I was previously ovulating 5-6 days before AF or not at all, so she thinks leveling out the hormones could help. I am also on blood thinners. I weigh 230 and she would like me down to at least 200 to start TTC again, but feels confident it will melt off with the Met/Spiro combo. Any luck with anyone else? :D
essiejames23
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Metformin, Spiro, and Weight Loss?

Postby Little_Bits » Wed May 06, 2015 11:41 am

Sorry you've got PCOS too! It's not a club you want to join :(

One thing I found that helped me lose weight was a low GI (glycemic index) diet. This means you cut out all the highly processed carbs - white bread, white rice, cookies, you get the idea. Apparently because low GI foods cause less of a blood sugar spike (and insulin response) it's really good for PCOS.

I'm glad someone's diagnosed you and given you some medication so you can get moving with treatment and babies! I'm not on metformin, but it's an option I'm looking into. Keep us updated on how they go!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
Clomid 50mg (6/15) - no response
Clomid 100mg (8/15) - scan shows ONE follicle!!
DH: 34, perfect in every way
TTC since August 2014
First ever BFP October 22!! :bfp:

http://wishingformyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to PCOS Support