I'm new here and desperate for advice

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

I'm new here and desperate for advice

Postby Ashley01 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:54 am

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time using any site like t
his but was the only one I could find that had good information regarding pcos so bare with me please as don't know all the abreveations ect yet. And this may be a bit long winded.

I am 27 and me and my husband already have a almost 6year old daughter. When managed to conceive pretty much 1st time with her although when she was born had lots of health problems and spent the biggest part of the first two years in hospital therefor we never tried straight away for another but around 2 and a half years ago after my periods being irregular for a year or so they suddenly stopped therefore we first thought I was pregnant as was not on any contraception but I wasn't and after lots of test I was diagnosed with pcos and told I was insulin resistant.
The doc put me on Metformin which I stopped taking as it really upset my tummy and I wasn't seeing much difference then after 2 years I started to bleed which lasted around 9 weeks the first 7 or so weeks very light and brownish ( sorry to be graphic) but the last weeks or so was very heavy with lots of clots and bright red like a proper period so I visited the doc who said she was almost certain withought doing any blood tests that I had ovulated at the end of it and that the last week of it had been a proper period, so silly me got my hopes up that things may be returning to normal.

As we have been ttc again I got myself some cassanovum which is supposed to hyper stimulate ovulation but I'm now a full 30+ days from that last bleed and doesn't look like there has been any ovulation again and no period.

I bought Angus Cactus yesterday as saw people saying it was good for regulating your hormones but after reading into it, it says that it can actually make pcos worse so now I just don't know what to do. We are desperate to conceive again but I know I need my body to work first.

I am over weight and have struggled to loose weight for the past few years which the doc said is due to the pcos but I recently lost almost 1st.

What would use suggest I try? Going back on the Metformin? Going back on Metformin and using the Angus cactus or cassanovum plus or is there anything else I can do, I know lots of docs say loose weight but it's not as easy as said and I feel like time is running out for us to conceive again as we are having a good time with our daughters health at the moment where she would get the enjoyment of a sibling but her health can change again in years to come..

Please give me advice lady's I feel like I am going crazy and think about it all day and night.

Ash x x
Ashley01
Friend

Re: I'm new here and desperate for advice

Postby Danaa » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:23 am

Hello and welcome to this site is wonderful!Bcs ur period are irregular I suggest temping that will help you know ur body and confirm ovulation!I have no experience with pcos so I can't say what is the bet thing for you!Agnus castus(Vitex)does wonders I suggest you keep taking it,also keep taking metformin!Maybe ur doc could prescribe you some clomid!!good luck
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCBabyBoy » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:29 am

I would look into first of all the metformin is a good idea, but also a carb-controlled diet. Not necessarily low carb, but carb controlled with limited amounts of carbs per meal, and making sure you get complex carbs vs. sugar. (Like whole grains, limited amounts of fruit, etc.). That would help with your insulin resistance. I have the same problem and sugar just does terrible things to my body. When I follow the diet like I am supposed to, I ovulate more regularly. I have been doing bad the past couple years but now that we are TTC again I am trying to be better about watching the amount of sugars I get. Cinnamon also helps too and I am taking a cinnamon supplement in addition to a multivitamin, and also omega-3 fish oils which help with inflammation (I have that as well from IBS) Mybody is just a mess overall with IBS, PCOS, I grew a huge dermoid cyst at one point and had to have my ovary taken out d/t ovarian torsion, gluten intolerance, etc., so it just seems like we have to be extra careful about what we put in our bodies when we have these things going on. I hope that we both can get our sticky bean soon and good luck!!!
TTC #3 after IUD removal August 3rd, 2015.
DH: 36
Me: 29
DD#1 is 5 and DD#2 is 3!
TTCBabyBoy
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Little_Bits » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:44 am

Hi Ashley,
Welcome to the site, it can be a great place for support and advice, especially with PCOS! As you have irregular periods, I would also suggest temping. This allows you to see when/if you ovulate, and then check your LP to be sure it's long enough. I don't take metformin, but I've heard it's possible to break up your douses into smaller ones that you take several times a day that are less likely to make your stomach upset. Especially with insulin intolerance and the difficulty with losing weight, it's probably a good idea to consider going back on metformin. Have you talked with your doctor about TTC? If you aren't ovulating on your own, Clomid might be an option to help you along. Good luck!
Me: 28, mild PCOS, history of large cysts that rupture, stage 1 endometriosis resulting in severe abdominal pain, lap to remove endo and adhesions (4/28), HSG shows clear tubes.
Clomid 50mg (6/15) - no response
Clomid 100mg (8/15) - scan shows ONE follicle!!
DH: 34, perfect in every way
TTC since August 2014
First ever BFP October 22!! :bfp:

http://wishingformyrainbow.blogspot.co.uk/

My Ovulation Chart
Little_Bits
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Ashley01 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:16 am

Thank you ladies for getting back to me so quickly. I have started back the Metformin this morning doc suggested going on a lower dose and then building back up to a higher dose and has also given me something to try help with the upset tummy it causes.. I have spoken to them about chlomid but they said until my bmi is at a normal level they will not consider it..

I feel like I'm going crazy and can't think about anything else, also an emotional mess at the moment is that normal??
Ashley01
Friend

Postby Ashley01 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:41 pm

Little_Bits wrote:Hi Ashley,
Welcome to the site, it can be a great place for support and advice, especially with PCOS! As you have irregular periods, I would also suggest temping. This allows you to see when/if you ovulate, and then check your LP to be sure it's long enough. I don't take metformin, but I've heard it's possible to break up your douses into smaller ones that you take several times a day that are less likely to make your stomach upset. Especially with insulin intolerance and the difficulty with losing weight, it's probably a good idea to consider going back on metformin. Have you talked with your doctor about TTC? If you aren't ovulating on your own, Clomid might be an option to help you along. Good luck!

I have been told when diagnosed with pcos that I am not ovulating so I have wasted a ton of money on opks but always get a negative results obv including this last month..

May sound like a silly question but how do I do the temping, is this just taking temp as normal or is there a special method and thermometer x x
Ashley01
Friend

Postby Ashley01 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:38 pm

Danaa wrote:Hello and welcome to this site is wonderful!Bcs ur period are irregular I suggest temping that will help you know ur body and confirm ovulation!I have no experience with pcos so I can't say what is the bet thing for you!Agnus castus(Vitex)does wonders I suggest you keep taking it,also keep taking metformin!Maybe ur doc could prescribe you some clomid!!good luck

Thank you.. Could you give me more info on temping please, is there a special technic or thermometer or is it just the way you would normally take your temp? Sorry I know this may sound a little silly but never done this before..

Also how many vitex should I take I read about girls taking 2 twice daily but the ones I got from Holland and barret yesterday says 1 a day so don't want to be taking a little dose which is going to be a waste of time if it's not enough to take effect..

X x
Ashley01
Friend

Postby Danaa » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:59 am

Temping is awesome!!Download the app Fertility Friend,is great,you can chart ur opk's,cervix position add ur bd sessions,all that!Now for tempin you need a bbt thermometer or a digital one I used a digital one and it worked just fine.When temping you need to temp every day AT THE SAME TIME BEFORE YOU GET UP FROM BED,open ur eyes grab ur thermometer and stick it in ur mouth under ur tongue,add the value to ur FF chart.When temping you need at least 4 h of sleep!!After a few months of doing this you will be a pro lol!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ashley01 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:00 pm

Ok Ladies,

I need your help again. I have just done an ovulatuon test, I know it's very late at night and it should be done in the morning but for the first time ever I have got the faintest tiniest line ever, it's hard to see clearly but it's definetly there..

I don't want to get my hopes up but is it possible that I could have ovulated a few days ago or ready to go? When should I test again? Or does it need to be a solid dark line?

I have also gone with your advice and gone back in the Metformin and watching my sugar intake ect..

Thanks

Ash x x
Ashley01
Friend

Postby Danaa » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:50 am

Hello again,some women test with opk multiple times a day bcs they have a short surge and they might miss it,I do opks morning and night.Opk will always have a faint line there,for the opk to be considered positive the rest line has to be as dark as the control line or
Even darker,this being ur first time using opks I would suggest testing every day starting cd10-15 a few times a day until u get a positive then test until you get a negative this way you find out how long is ur surge,but of course if u have long cycles doing that might be a pain in the @ss and a hole in ur pocket!I suggest start temping!!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ashley01 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:42 am

Danaa wrote:Hello again,some women test with opk multiple times a day bcs they have a short surge and they might miss it,I do opks morning and night.Opk will always have a faint line there,for the opk to be considered positive the rest line has to be as dark as the control line or
Even darker,this being ur first time using opks I would suggest testing every day starting cd10-15 a few times a day until u get a positive then test until you get a negative this way you find out how long is ur surge,but of course if u have long cycles doing that might be ag pain in the @ss and a hole in ur pocket!I suggest start temping!!!

Thanks you, ok please tell me to calm down if I'm getting excited over nothing lol but I have been doing ovulation tests now for the past month and I've never even had a faint line until last night then I did another one this morning and the line was darker but still not as dark as the control line..

I also had very clear stretchy egg white cm that's the first time I've have it so clear ect for years so I then checked my cervix and there is a definet change its was so high up it was hard to reach also felt open and unusually soft. I read about if your during ovulation it should feel like touching fuller lips rather than the end of your nose like it usually feels like with myself ( but extreme I know but as I've got tiny fine lips and my lucky hubby has big full lips I had a wee poke at his lol) and its definetly felt right..

I have also been very hot through the night and today a lot hotter and more flush than normal Slough I have not started temping yet so it may be nothing..

Am I just being to hopefull and reading between the lines a little and getting excited over nothing or does it sound like something could be happening??

X x
Ashley01
Friend

Return to PCOS Support