Blood test results...PCOS?

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Blood test results...PCOS?

Postby ShayBaby » Mon Oct 12, 2015 2:39 pm

Hi ladies! So, I've suspected I have PCOS for years, but with all the crap I've been through and all the bloodwork I've done, I was never tested. Until today. I saw my OBGYN for my 6 month check up after our baby girl Rosie was stillborn in April (due to an incompetent cervix). We weren't supposed to be, per doc's orders, but we've been trying again since almost immediately after we lost her, knowing it would probably take years again. I went off BCP and we stopped using protection when my sunshine son was about 6 months old...that was in roughly September of 2007. It took 7 long years of unprotected BD to conceive her.

Anyway, I started charting with FF in October 2014 and, funny enough, that's the cycle we got pregnant with Rosie. I've always had super long and irregular cycles, but never followed them closely until I started charting, so I can't say for sure exactly how wacky they were. I mean, I can't even fathom it when women speak of "monthly" cycles, "28 day" cycles, etc. Sounds miserable, but wonderful! I was really surprised, though, that since I started charting, my cycles have been long (52-55 days), but fairly regular! And O'ing every time, apparently, between days 38-44. Then came this current cycle... Currently on CD 85, no O, no AF. :( (The lousy thing is, DH is leaving for half a year on military business in 2 weeks and we were crossing our fingers that it'd happen before he left...not likely now.)

Reasons for believing I do have PCOS. For starters, my younger sis has it. Also, going through the PCOS symptoms on this board, I have:
~Reduced menstrual cycles than normal or complete lack of having any cycles. (Check. I remember a couple years at least where I only had one or two periods a YEAR.)
~Heavy bleeding during your period, and spotting in between cycles. (Bleeding is usually very heavy. Never have spotting, though.)
~Hair loss on your scalp (Super thin, fine hair that sheds constantly and a lot. Also probably attributed to my hypothyroidism.)
~Excess hair growth on your body such as your face, chest, back, stomach, thumbs, or toes. (Check. Have annoying, embarrassing patches of dark hair that grow on my chin, left cheek, and stomach.)
~Acne and oily skin (Check. Don't remember a single time in my life when I didn't have a pimple on my face.)
~Weight gain that is mostly gained around your midsection. (I'm not exactly overweight, 5'4" and 140ish lbs, but my extra weight IS carried in my midsection.)
~Miscarriage and infertility (Yes.)
~Insulin resistance. This can cause miscarriage, poor egg quality, and irregular periods. (I had gestational diabetes with sunshine son, and with Rosie, but was also diagnosed with type 2 diabetes during/after our loss. Insulin level was normal on this last BT, though.)
~Cysts on your ovaries (Not sure about this, yet.)
~Multiple positive OPKs throughout your cycle, but no ovulation happens. (YES! I get multiple positives throughout the cycle in every cycle.)

NOW, for the question. Here are my blood test results from today. Just wondered if anyone could help shed some light on the meaning. I've read that a low FSH:high LH ratio likely means PCOS?

LH: 22.54
FSH: 4.28
Insulin: 12.26
(Normal range 3-25)
Prolactin: 11.5 ng/mL
DHEA-S: 132
(Normal range 18-391)
TSH: 7.560 (Normal range 0.358-3.74) (I am on Synthroid, but haven't been taking it as regularly as I should..)

I also have an appointment for an ultrasound to look for PCOS (and other stuff), but that's not until December 7..
Doc spoke of putting me on Metformin, but we'll speak more about that at my next appt in Dec. Thought I'd put myself on Vitex and Royal Jelly in the meantime (want to get cycles as regulated as possible while DH is away, so hopefully quicker and easier with the TTC when he gets home), so I'll probably go out and get that in the next day or two. Doc said it couldn't hurt.

So, does it look like PCOS to you?
Last edited by ShayBaby on Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Emily: 28
DH: 29
Married since 8/10/07
DS Shay: 3/21/07
DD Rosie: born with wings at 20 weeks 4/4/15
MC: 4/30/16
TTC sticky baby since ~Sept 2007 :cry:

PCOS. Hypo/hyperthyroidism. Retroflexed uterus. Incompetent cervix. Etc..
My Ovulation Chart
ShayBaby
Friend

Re: Blood test results...PCOS?

Postby Wishfull » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:43 am

Good luck in ttc. Sorry you dh will be away for six months. However that will give you time to get you hormones sorted out. I have Pcos caused by insulin resistance. Did the dr have you do a glucose test? I had to do a three hour test to show how my insulin levels react. I wouldn't want to guess based off the numbers listed, but it looks like your insulin is ok. I believe Vitex has been a big help as well.
http://FertilityFriend.com/home/5eb089/]http://FertilityFriend.com/home/5eb089/[/url]
Wishfull
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Blood test results...PCOS?

Postby ShayBaby » Tue Oct 13, 2015 1:35 pm

Thanks for the reply. :) I didn't have a glucose test done yesterday, but have had them done a few times in the past. My last 3 hour test was at the beginning of this year some time, and confirmed I do have type 2, but a mild enough case that I'm not doing anything about it, outside of pregnancy. Ordering the Vitex today, hoping it helps!
Emily: 28
DH: 29
Married since 8/10/07
DS Shay: 3/21/07
DD Rosie: born with wings at 20 weeks 4/4/15
MC: 4/30/16
TTC sticky baby since ~Sept 2007 :cry:

PCOS. Hypo/hyperthyroidism. Retroflexed uterus. Incompetent cervix. Etc..
My Ovulation Chart
ShayBaby
Friend

Return to PCOS Support