PCOS and one blocked tube.

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

PCOS and one blocked tube.

Postby Kacy123 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:01 pm

Hello everyone. I have never posted here before but decided after reading your stories maybe someone can give me a little hope.

So my husband and I have been ttc for about 20 months now. After the first year I went to an obgyn to have things checked out. We found out with an HSG that I have a blocked tube. Despite that she put me on clomid 50mg for 3 months. I ovulated while on it but had no success. So she referred me to an RE but gave me more clomid to use in the meantime, uping my dose to 100mg.

When I went to the RE he did some more tests and told me that I also had PCOS. My ultrasound did not show that I have it but he made this diagnosis based on the fact that my cycles are very irregular and some other symptoms that I have. In the end he told us that we can try IUI but with our situation the chances of success are only about 6%. His other suggestion of course was IVF.

We cannot afford that expensive procedure right now so I am just looking for a little encouragement that maybe the clomid will be enough. I am currently 10dpo after taking my first 100mg round cycle days 3-7. We have also been using preseed.

Anyone else going through something similar? Any success stories?
Kacy123

Re: PCOS and one blocked tube.

Postby orangecat » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:57 pm

Hi Kacy. I don't have PCOS but only have 1 tube due to an ectopic pregnancy.
How can they claim you have PCOS if they don't know for sure? Have you had any ultrasound monitoring? If your ovaries were indeed polycystic they should be able to see that on an ultrasound.....
I am by no means a doctor but I've been at this TTC game for almost 4 years and consider myself well read on the topic.
I wouldn't take any more Clomid unless you can do it in conjunction with ultrasound monitoring. That way they can be sure you ovulate and that your uterine lining remains healthy and you don't develop cysts. Clomid has lots of nasty side effects and ultrasounds are the only way to really know what is going on inside and to be sure you are ovulating from the side with the healthy tube. If you only O from blocked side you have no chance of success....
That being said Clomid on its own doesn't have a very high success rate unless ovulation is your only road block....IUIs with Clomid or letrozole/femara have a higher success rate than drugs alone. If you are going to put yourself through the drugs might as well give yourself the best chance.
We too were told about a 6% success rate with IUIs and letrozole. IVF we were told 30% but it isn't in our future either....how old are you? There are so many factors in everything and stats are only that....miracles happen everyday.
6% is better than no chance.
I wish you luck.
Me 37
DH 39
"Unexplained Infertility" diagnosis Feb 2014
IUI- planned for May 2014
Surprise BFP April 18/2014 while waiting for IUI!
Natural miscarriage April 29/2014 - 6 weeks
IUI #1 50mg Clomid and 24 mil sperm July 4/2014= BFN
IUI #2 letrazole 2.5mg Aug= CANCELLED due to cyst and midcycle bleed
IUI #2 letrazole 2.5mg Oct 7/2014= BFN
2015 NOTHING
2016 New RE gives us hope
April 19/16 Ectopic Pregnancy while waiting to begin IUI again
Right tube removed
DH 3% Morphology
ME AMH 4.4PMOL (British scale)
"I may not be there yet. But I am closer than I was yesterday."
orangecat
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby Kacy123 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 7:08 am

Thank you for you response. I am 33. I have had two ultrasounds, neither of which showed any evidence of PCOS so I also wondered how the RE could just make that diagnosis but I also talked to another doctor that I work with and he told me that a positive finding on an ultrasound is not necessary to diagnose pcos.
We probably will try IUI. The fertility clinic I go to is also doing a free seminar in a couple weeks and someone will win a free IVF cycle, so who knows, maybe I will win.
Kacy123

Postby Kacy123 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:28 pm

I just wanted to do an update for anyone in a similar situation as I was. The very next day after my post I got a very faint BFP! It has now been confirmed with a blood test and I am now awaiting my first OB appointment. I was 100mg of clomid, cd 3-7, and we were using pre seed. I also used an opk kit for the first time this cycle. So no matter what don't give up hope!
Kacy123

Postby mimimama » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:27 am

Kacy123- Great new, congrats
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to PCOS Support