I need advice, please!

TTC with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome? Find support here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

I need advice, please!

Postby Holly128 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:46 pm

Long story short, ever since I first got my period at age 13, it never came back. I'm 24 now and .My doctor put me on Metformin to start my periods but that didn't work.. I have no cysts on ovaries and all my hormone levels are normal but she says I have pcos. Now she wants me to start taking Provera to induce periods. My husband just gave us the okay about trying to have a baby and I am super excited! BUT, what am I supposed to do now that I'm supposed to be taking Provera?? I'm so confused. :( If anyone has any advice, please help.
Holly128

Re: I need advice, please!

Postby AmySmith » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:10 am

Ah, tough situation, honey. Don't worry, though, I'm sure we can think of something. I would suggest staying in contact with your doctor. Your situation doesn't look that bad. There can be something, I'm sure. If nothing else works, you can always look into opting for IVF or even IUI, you know? Lots of love and baby dust!
AmySmith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:50 am

I've done a small research on this. Provera drug is the synthetic form of a hormone (progesterone) that naturally produces after ovulation in women. It is a drug that helps PCOS women to get pregnant. But if you are diagnosed with PCOS and you are planning to take Provera drug for losing weight, then it might not be a good suggestion. It may help you to get your periods monthly only if you are missing your periods for a long time. Taking Provera to start period can be both: safe and unsafe! Provera medication is a progestin challenge test which is taken by a gynecologist to examine a PCOS woman who is not having her periods from a long time. Usually, 10mg medroxyprogesterone aka Provera tablets is given to the patients for a period of time to induce menstruation. Also some women face severe side effects when they are on this medication. While for some, it’s a miracle; they don’t face any side effect. Also, depending on its quantity, if you are taking less dosage of provera, it might be possible that you wouldn’t face any side effects of it. After taking Provera, women get heavy blood flow. And it’s completely normal. Also, women can feel tender breasts as well. They can try using hot water bags to get relief. Well, there’s no doubt that provera helps PCOS women to get pregnant. In 70 % of cases, PCOS Women who are on Provera have higher chances of getting pregnant. Usually, it takes 3 months to 7 months to see the results. Usually, your doctor will advise you to take 5-10 mg provera for 10 days along with estrogen at the same time. After a few days, when you stop taking the tablets, the woman may have withdrawal bleeding. This is the induced bleeding that has been taking place. And hence, it’s not appropriate to say that they may get their periods next month as well without medication. But if the woman takes provera along with proper nutritional diet, she can fix this problem within months.
Also, if by any chance provera is not working in some PCOS women, that’s because they are not maintaining their diets. They simply need to cut three things in their diet to get results: Gluten food. Dairy food and last. High carbohydrate food.
Foods to avoid while on Provera: Avoid sweetened and unsweetened sodas. Avoid carbs. Avoid gluten products. Avoid fast foods. Limit dairy products. Avoid processed foods and processed juices.
What to do while on Provera? - Exercise regularly. Drink a lot of water. Eat fruits and boiled vegetables.
Hope my message helps you. All the best X
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby @whenmytruerainbow » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 am

AmySmith wrote:Ah, tough situation, honey. Don't worry, though, I'm sure we can think of something. I would suggest staying in contact with your doctor. Your situation doesn't look that bad. There can be something, I'm sure. If nothing else works, you can always look into opting for IVF or even IUI, you know? Lots of love and baby dust!

Hi there :wink: In improving infertility, PCOS IVF is considered by many healthcare professionals to be a great option. PCOS is characterized by hyperandrogenism, which occurs when women experience high levels of androgens (male sex hormones, particularly testosterone). Due to hyperandrogenism, the eggs that are released during ovulation may be of poor quality. Although IVF has been proven as an effective fertility treatment, it is not a surefire method of conceiving a child. As with all fertility treatment options, IVF has many pros and cons that should be weighed before the procedure is undertaken. Women who are considering IVF are encouraged to speak with their doctors about the treatment. It all takes strength, courage, and perseverance. I'm 40 yrs oldie. Time ago diagnosed on endo & pcos. Our first doc advised lapos. So i did but frankly, with no actual result. Together with dh we ttc for 2 yrs with no luck. So decided to have a fertility app and soon found out my eggs were useless. Dh was ok. As a natural optimist I thought IVF would be relatively straight forward. It was an opinion that didn’t last long though.. One unsuccessful IVF cycle was enough to crush the idealist in me. I was naïve and uninformed in equal measure.. I had multiple false starts. I also had many cancelled cycles. Lazy, underperforming ovaries meant that egg pick up didn’t necessarily equal eggs when it came to my rodeo show...I also had my lef ovary removed with lapo. Tried 2 fresh cycles with OE - both BFN. Afterall, having put my brave face on i began making investigations. It was clear we'd need donor egg to proceed with ivf treatments. Both confused but desperate for a baby. So soon found ourselves in ukrainian clinic. (Mainly for affordable ivf costs) and got luck from the very first shot with donor eggs. (the clinic guarantees at least 3 A grade 5 day blasts for the ET). I'm a couple of weeks before delivery..
Every case differs so much..I'm praying for everyone on this path.
@whenmytruerainbow
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to PCOS Support