Lap on April 5th

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Lap on April 5th

Postby KMP » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:44 am

Hi ladies,

I'm having a lap for suspected endo on April 5th...yikes...getting close. I've talked with a few friends who've had laps for various reasons (including endo), but I'm open to suggestions to help with faster recovery, reducing scarring, dealing with the CO2 pain, how long to ask for off work on the doctor's note, and anything else a rookie should know!

Thanks!
KMP
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby 35ttc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Good pain medication!!! Tylenol 3 doesn't cut it.....

And lots of rest. The gas pain can make it difficult, but it should only last couple days. Good luck!
35ttc
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby KMP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:03 am

Haha...I had a bad experience with T3s when I had my wisdom teeth out, so I had already planned on asking to avoid them! I've heard the pain in the shoulders is the roughest part of recovery. Good, fun times :wink: !
KMP
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Britnee1 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:16 am

I had my lap 2 days ago (Wed, March 28). This is my second one that I have had (my last one was between 6 and 8 years ago). First things first: TAKE CHAP STICK with you to the hospital! Put it on before they take you back! Being intubated makes your lips SO SO DRY! Make sure you have someone with you 24/7 for about 3 or 4 days. Even if you think you are "feeling better" and can "go without" your pain meds... dont. Because they are the REASON you are feeling better. The first couple nights I highly recommend setting an alarm to go off when your meds are due to be taken so you don't wake up in excruciating pain... FYI, make sure who ever is with you to take care of you you are comfortable with, because they will need to help you sit/stand (including toilet visits). Carry a pillow with you for coughing, sneezing, laughing, etc, to put pressure on your stomach. Drink water the next day and eat lots of fruits, fiber, etc so (sorry tmi) you have diarrhea and don't have to push to go #2. Prepare your house (cleaning, picking up, putting stuff where it can be reached) before you go in to surgery so that when you are home you don't have to ask for help as much. (I am very independent and hate asking for help, but when you have no ab muscles, you have no choice). The more you work/strain, the more scar tissue you will have so TAKE IT EASY!!

(BTW my lap went well, My dr removed alot of endo, I also had a cyst on my right ovary, which he removed, and he checked my tubes with dye and they are all clear! My stitches are healing good and I'm in very little pain as long as I keep up on my meds. Last night I thought I would be okay not waking up to take them and just taking them when I got up on my own... bad idea. Lots of pain.)

Good luck and let us know how everything goes!!
Britnee1

Postby socialite_baby » Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:42 pm

Ugh. I was on Darvocet (discontinued now) for pain after my lap. I had been on it for a month leading up to my surgery since the pain was so bad so I was basically used to the meds. They did absolutely nothing for me! In recovery right after surgery I woke up in intense pain and flat out told my doctor I needed Percocet (oxycodone and Tylenol, had been on it for kidney stones in the past) and he told me no. So by day 2 after my surgery I got no relief from the Darvocet and just switched to OTC Tylenol and it honestly worked better.

Recovery wasn't so bad. Sitting/standing up was hard for the first 3 days, I couldn't use my stomach muscles so I had to have someone there to help me. You don't dare cough so I had some cough drops handy as well as some snacky foods like cashews and teddy grahams so I could use them when I took my meds. Even though pain meds didn't work for me I can't imagine getting sick from taking them on an empty stomach. If I could hardly sit up because my stomach felt like it was going to split open and spew guts everywhere I'd probably die if I threw up!

As for the gas the only thing that helped me was walking. I found that when I sat down I couldn't breathe because it would all come up, but when I stood up/walked around it took the pressure off! I would ask for about 5 full business days off work, I was feeling better around then, but it will obviously vary. 6 days post op was when I was released from my doctor with minimal pain, I was just sore. It actually felt like I had done 1,000 sit ups! That pain lasted for another week after, but it was tolerable... Good luck! You'll do great! :D
Lindsay (Mild Endo, thin PCOS, Hypothyroid, implantation failure)
TTC #1 for 7.5 years...

April - November 2011 - 7 Rounds of 50 mg Clomid, 3 IUIs. All BFN.
February - March, June 2012 - 3 Rounds 5 mg Femara. BFN.
April 2012 - "Immune Protocol" Follistim IUI. BFN.
May 2012 - Diagnosed activated natural killer cells and told we'll NEVER conceive naturally... *treatment break*
October 2015 - IVF #1. OHSS. Freeze all. 9 blasts on ice.
November 2015 - FET #1. BFN.
January 2016 - Holy *NATURAL* BFP!!! WTF?! First ultrasound 2/1/2016. Praying for a healthy sticky baby. <3
socialite_baby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ete29 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:44 pm

I know this sounds illogical, but before I had my lap I read about gasx helping with the co2 pain. I scoffed at that, but by day two post surgery I hurt so bad I couldn't breathe or lay down. I took the gasx and felt better a few hours later. I highly recommend it.
ete29
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Endometriosis