Maybe Endo?

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Maybe Endo?

Postby alanatx » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:05 pm

Sorry but I wasn't really sure where else to go on what board. But I had a very low thyroid level and my ob referred me to my regular physician and two months after that test I had my TSH, T3 and T4 retested to see if my thyroid turned hypo or hyper. Turns out my levels ended up great! We don't know how that happened (didn't take any meds) but it did! Lots and lots of prayer helped I am sure :-) Anyways, to see what is causing heavy AF and irregular cycles my doc says I need to go back to my ob and get a transvaginal ultrasound done. He said maybe it's endo. However, I don't have other than minor pain with AF but I did get O pain. He doesn't seem to think Endo but said we need to rule it out. But can't endo only be diagnosed by lap? He also said maybe it could by fibroids, cysts (same thing as fibroids?) or uterine cancer...UMMMM what!?! So freaking out now.. My last 3 months of AF have been completely normal though. Should I be extremely worried?
alanatx
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Lulubee » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:24 am

Try not to worry. I'm sure there's a simple explanation and that it's nothing as sinister as cancer. Your doctor was probably wanting to outline every possibility, though that is undoubtedly a highly unlikely one.

Endo. is one of those conditions where you can never quite tell from the symptoms. Whilst many people have the classic symptoms - like pain during AF and at other times, painful BD, heavy periods etc. - other people can be completely asymptomatic. And apparently the severity of the symptoms does not necessarily correspond to the severity of the endo. - people with severe symptoms can very well have mild endo., just as those with little or no symptoms often turn out to have severe and extensive endo.

From what I understand the transvaginal ultrasound may be useful in detecting endo in some cases but it is definitely not definitive. So you're right - the only way to diagnose for sure is via laparoscopy. If your doctor wants to completely rule out endo. as a possibility then you do have to have a lap., the ultrasound won't do.

It's great that your thyroid tests came back normal. I'm sure the heavy AF will turn out to be harmless, so try not to worry.

Keep us posted and good luck!
:luck:

P.S. I have suspected endo. - I also have few symptoms but both my sisters have it. My symptoms are odd and not necessarily endo. but I feel certain I have it. I am going in for a lap on December 9, so hopefully I'll get it worked out. The oddest thing I have going on (apart from pre-AF spotting, clotty and heavy AF) is that my uterus has been twitching/contracting noticably for the past four months. Annoying! Oh, and I feel increasingly bloated these days.

Hope you get some answers soon.
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby alanatx » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:49 pm

Thank you kindly for answering LuluBee :-)

I will keep you updated on what is going on. I am kind of excited and anxious for my appt this coming up week. Hopefully it will at least provide more answers on what the problem is.

Babydust to you!!
alanatx
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Lulubee » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:47 am

Pleasure. I hope I helped put your mind at rest a bit.
Yes, I too feel excited (as well as a little anxious) about getting things looked into - feels good to be getting the problem worked out and hopefully will get us both closer to that BFP.

All the very best with your appointment and do keep me posted.
:luck:
Lulubee
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Endometriosis