First RE appointment tomorrow...Laparoscopy?

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

First RE appointment tomorrow...Laparoscopy?

Postby Kacykw » Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:30 pm

I have my first appointment with the RE tomorrow. I have done the ultrasounds, HSG, blood tests, all normal. My husband’s morphology is not great but count and motility were good. I have unbearable menstrual cramps. I would rate them 8-10 on the pain scale each month. Last month I had my first panic attack from the severe pain. I felt like I was dying. I have tried different pain killers and muscle relaxers over the years but have never been diagnosed with endometriosis. From all the reading (way to much) I have been doing I feel strongly that I suffer from endometriosis.

I would really like to do laparoscopic surgery to know definitively.

Has anyone had laparoscopy? Is it something that doctors are usually willing to try? What was the procedure like for those of you that have had it done?

I am 29, DH 29.

19 months TTC
Kacykw

Postby Jazzi » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:21 am

Hi Kacykw,

Im from the uk and this was my experience. I had a lap done just over a year ago and they found endometriosis on my uterus (mild and they removed the endo) & on my left ovary this was moderate and to big to remove so they left it for now, I recoverd well and was back to work after a week off. before hand they wanted me to try different contraception etc but i wanted the lap as i knew myself that was what was wrong. I have painful periods (at this time i would also have pain during bowel movements and urination) intercourse, painful ovulation. Heat pads work best for me or a very long hot bath. My mum also has endo so i think thats why they went ahead and done the lap. My advice is to push for the lap as you know your body best!

Best of luck Jazzi 
Jazzi

Postby tasmom1 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 pm

Hello....I just had my 2nd laparoscopy last week. My first was 5 years ago, when I was diagnosed. The only way to diagnose endo' is via lap. My doc said I displayed all the symptoms and everything else was ruled out, so he suggested the lap' for a definite dx. I'm glad I did because it turns out I had severe endo' and adhesions. 6 months later i was pregnant with my baby boy. I say go for it. It's an outpatient surgery, so you only spend hours in the hospital, and the recovery time is short, but the benefit is life long. HTH :D
DD)16yrs
DS)12yrs
DS2) 4yrs -My first TTC baby~ BFp 2/26 @10/12dpo~ HCG- 2/27-24, 3/1- 137, 3/13- 20,416 :)
tasmom1
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: First RE appointment tomorrow...Laparoscopy?

Postby Holly_1983 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:09 am

I'm booked in for a laparoscopy on the 28th Nov and I can't wait.
Been trying to conceive for 16months now and have had 3 rounds of Clomid.
Hoping this will give me answers and results !
Good luck !
xxx
Holly_1983
Friend

Postby LilAussieGirl » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:51 pm

I had a lap last September... they were going to do Ovarian Drilling, but they also found Endo and removed that aswell.
I was pretty out of it afterwards, and was out of action for about a week... but the doctor said my uterus etc were now in the best shape they'd been in, after they'd cleaned it all out!
TTC since OCT 2011
Diagnosed with PCOS NOV 2011
Lap and ovarian drilling SEP 2012
Clomid started OCT 2012
On 4th round of Clomid
LilAussieGirl
Friend

Postby MDC0908 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:52 am

I had a laproscopic surgery for endometriosis in 2007, I was out of it the first 2 days then after that I was completely fine. I went back to work after a week at home. Aside from the gas pain you will get from changing positions, that was my only complaint, keep moving and it will disperse quicker. Since then i havent had an issue with pelvic pain during my periods. Good luck!!!
MDC0908

Postby kylie3108 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:32 pm

At the age of 19 I was told that my painful bowel movements were due to IBS but when it came time for me to try for a baby nothing was happening! I was convinced that I had endo and pushed for the lap! Turns out I had servere endo, on my ovaries and bowel. During the lap my ON/GYN burnt away as many cells as possible. I was then put on a monthly injection for six months (I can't remember what it was, might have been danazol?!? Will double check though) but it basically put my body in a temporary state of menopause in an attempt to stave the endometrial cells.
Go with your gut instinct! As the other ladies have said its well worth it... It's the only way to get the answers you need! Good luck
Me: Kylie (37) Diagnosed with endo in 2006.
DP: Nige (39) healthy
2007- 12 months to 'prepare' for TTC and control/minimize endo
2008- 4 failed IUI's
2008- natural cycle BFP- miscarried at 6 weeks
2008- December IVF cycle #1- 20 eggs, 15 fertilized, 8 frozen- (5-day blastocyst), 1 transferred- BFP- DD arrived 08/09/09. Our miracle girl
2013- TTC #2
FET cycle #1 July 2013- BFP- miscarried August- 5 weeks
FET cycle #2- scheduled for September 2013.
kylie3108
Friend

Postby Menehune » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:02 am

kacy, firstly, sorry you have to go through this...i know it's a tough road. my experience has been that it really depends on your doc. some are willing to go the lap route right away. some avoid it at all costs. some docs will say that if you're planning to go through the IVF route, there's no point to having a lap. others, will argue there are benefits. i had to seek 2nd and 3rd opinions before i could finally have one done. and, they did find endo. i have yet to conceive, but i found some relief and answers to some of our infertility questions. hope it does the trick for you if you go through with it. my recovery was pretty quick. best wishes!
Me - 36 (PCOS/Endo/polyps), Him - 37
TTC #1 since Jan 2009
MM/C Apr 2010 @ 5wks
Clomid only Sept-Nov 2010
Clomid/IUI Feb-Mar 2011
Acupuncture 2011
IUI #3 Oct 2012
Started Metformin for PCOS
Clomid/IUI #4 Nov 2012
Laparascopy/Hysteroscopy/D&C Dec 2012 - Endo removed from both ovaries and bladder, uterine polyps removed
Clomid/IUI Jan-Mar 2013
Mar 2013 - Acupuncture to prep for IVF
Hysteroscopy/Endo scratch/polyps removed May 2013
IVF #1 June 2013, Long lupron, follistim/menopur, 30 eggs retrieved, 27 mature, 15 fertilized, 11 5-day blasts, freeze all due to OHSS
8/23/13 FET 3x5-day blasts transferred, BFP 6dp5dt, betas 380 @ 10dp5dt, 810 @ 12dp5dt, 38,185 @ 22dp5dt, U/S 9/26 Twins!
The twins arrived at 34 weeks, baby boy spent 2 weeks in NICU, baby girl spent 3 weeks in NICU
Menehune
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby debrown01 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 am

Hi there this is what I have done so far.
Progesterone test- put on progesterone for about 8 months no success
Hysteropinogram- all good
femara 3 rounds
follicle study- found 8 cm cyst that they think is endo
scheduled laparoscopy for this March after ttc for a year and 3 months to remove any endo and drain cyst to try to save my ovary. (they would have done this anyway even if I didn't have the cyst. I hope this helps!)
Dawn
debrown01
Friend

Return to Endometriosis