Changing diet to help Endo

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Changing diet to help Endo

Postby ambernicole8484 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:12 pm

I've been looking into diet changes that can help with endo. One of the things I've seen that is bad for endo sufferers is red meat. Several months ago I cut out all meat aside from seafood so that bit is already gone. I think I might work on getting rid of dairy next. We just learned that my DH is lactose intolerant so we're already eliminating or replacing diary for him. I imagine it'll be the easiest thing to do next. I'd like to go gluten free, but it seems so overwhelming.

Anyone else trying to make diet changes to help endo?
Me 30 ~ DH 31 ~ DD 11 - DS 12/5/14

BFP ~ 4/2/14 <3

10 years and 11 months after our sweet baby girl, our sweet baby boy arrived <3

Blog <3
http://eatingmyselfpregnant.blogspot.com/
ambernicole8484
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Changing diet to help Endo

Postby wwATX » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm

Go girl! I've been making major diet changes since lap in January. Had no idea I had endo until last November when doc found huge cysts on ovaries, pressing on my uterus. In February I cut out meat, except seafood. Recently focusing on eating less seafood and also less tofu (soy being estrogenic). Starting phasing out alcohol in June. Really out alcohol and all caffeine (that was the hard one) in past couple of months. Trying my darndest to avoid gluten and dairy. Have become mindful of increasing my alkalinity- lemon juice and honey, apple cider vinegar. Trying to avoid plastic products, bleached products, and chemical cleaning products. Next step is water filtration system to eliminate chlorine (dioxin).

And of course I cheat on all of these things, but am really making an effort. I view the endo as a sort of good thing in the sense that it was a wake up call to all the dietary and environmental toxins that I have been throwing at myself. Poor body never stood a chance.
wwATX
Friend

Postby ambernicole8484 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:10 pm

It's crazy the amount of stuff you have to avoid, right?! Tonight I made my first endo friendly recipe. I got it from here...
http://mrsblondieskitchen.blogspot.com/ ... sauce.html

It was actually really good. This is the first time I've ever made green salsa and I don't really like corn tortillas, but it was pretty good with all the stuff in and on them. I had no meat in mine. Only black beans and pinto beans. I'm going to be trying shrimp primavera Sunday.
http://mrsblondieskitchen.blogspot.com/ ... avera.html

It's nice to meet someone else who's attempting the same thing. Changing your eating habit isn't easy under normal circumstances, but changing/removing all the things for endo almost seems impossible. Removing gluten will probably come last. It's really intimidating to me. Is the alkalinity something that endo peeps need to watch out for? I already eat honey in place of sugar when I can. Should probably look for organic though.

Have you noticed any change in your endo pain since you've been making these changes? I really don't want to have surgery every year or so to remove it and BCP just isn't an option.

BFP ~ 4/2/14 <3

Blog <3
ambernicole8484
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby wwATX » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Our modern diets are said to leave our bodies with too acidic of a ph level, causing inflammation. Inflammation is the endo link. To cut acidity, you should avoid anything processed, dairy, coffee etc and increase fresh fruit and veggies, and things like lemon juice and ACV. Lemon juice and ACV are acidic but work to create alkalinity in the body- it's fascinating!

Replacing sugar with honey is wonderful! Look for raw, unfiltered in honey and anything- that's where all of nature's good stuff is! Raw Bee products are antiinflammatory!

Because I like shortcuts, I also bought a juicer and find it a fabulous way to intake tons of veggies and fruit very quickly without filling up. The juice retains 95% of the nutrients.

It's great that you are going to recipes- that makes it fun and is truly a lifestyle change as opposed to just buying pre-made gluten free this or that.

Start with the low hanging fruit and easy wins- don't worry about gluten for now or anything intimidating. We aren't monks! Start with the small stuff, the easy stuff, the fun stuff!

Doctors talk like you will either have to keep having surgeries or stay on BCP, but they only have half of the picture. They are pathologists, and thank god for great surgeons. But you are the master of your wellness. Cheers!
wwATX
Friend

Postby ambernicole8484 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:03 pm

I have a juicer as well. I've been juicing from time to time for a while now. The more I learn about endo diets the more excited I feel about eliminating all this junk from my life. I've always wanted to eat healthier but always lacked the dedication and motivation. I'm pretty sick of feeling sorry for myself over not having insurance and not being able to go through fertility treatments or tests. It's about time I take responsibility for my own health and help myself.

BFP ~ 4/2/14 <3

Blog <3
ambernicole8484
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ABelle » Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:11 am

Hey ladies,
I also have endo and am Dairy Free, Caffeine Free, Gluten Free, Soy Free. It is hard because well, I love food! I have noticed that I don't feel so full and bloated after eating and my periods are way less painful and heavy. But I've also been doing acupuncture and accredit a lot of that to her treatments!

GOOD LUCK! and let's hope we all get some 2014 babies!!!!
Me {Anne}- 33 :hi: (Hypothyroidism, Single A1298C MTHFR, Endometriosis, ANA neg)
DH- 42. (amazeballs) :wiggle:
Married since 2005. TTC 60 months before finally getting our positive!

2 Lap Surgeries, 3 HSGs, 4 rounds of Clomid, 3 IUI's, 1 IVF cancelled (cysts) = all :bfn:

ABelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Pink14 » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:21 am

Hi There,

Quite new here so hello! Happy to find this section!
I have had endo for a long time. Official diagnosis was in 2009.
I had my first lap done then. I knew of the diet to eat and followed through until about 2 years ago. I lost some weight even. But my endo was back badly
And I stopped trying.

Had my 2nd lap, two weeks ago. It was a doozy. So now I'm back no red meat, chicken, fish or pork. Lots of greens!! Fresh juices and or smoothies. Berries, fruits, whole wheat (I did the whole gluten free thing...didn't work) next to no dairy.

I just try to eat as pure and fresh as I can. Sure I cheat for pizza.
But inside I feel much better just eating healthy. Drink lots of water and I heard from a Ted Talks on netflix, black tea actually helps your body fight autoimmune diseases.

All the best! Love to hear more of what people are doing.

Oh and I take a ton of vitamins too
1- son
1 divorce
1 puppy
Endometriosis/Adenomyosis:
2 Laps (2nd extensive)
Happily moved on and TTC #2
Pink14

Postby ABelle » Sat Nov 09, 2013 3:59 pm

Welcome Pink!

I feel your pain. I feel like an 80 year old with my pill box of vitamins lol
Me {Anne}- 33 :hi: (Hypothyroidism, Single A1298C MTHFR, Endometriosis, ANA neg)

2 Lap Surgeries, 3 HSGs, 4 rounds of Clomid, 3 IUI's, 1 IVF cancelled (cysts) = all :bfn:

ABelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ambernicole8484 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 8:40 am

Welcome Pink :)

I'm working at losing weight. I've lost a bit and am actually doing pretty well for a change. Hope I can keep it up. I also have next to no dairy, but cheat for pizza LOL! I've also been doing a lot of cooking with fresh veggies the past couple weeks. We have had some canned veggies a few times. I'd love to switch to organic, but I'm so afraid it'll cause our food bill to sky rocket. DH would freak.

I wish it were time for me to have my next lap, but I have to wait until the middle of next year :(

BFP ~ 4/2/14 <3

Blog <3
ambernicole8484
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby ambernicole8484 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:08 am

I'm so happy to come back here and say that I think I've had some success with endo pain! I did not feel like I was going to pass out or throw up during AF this month! I didn't have to camp out in the bathtub either :D I did have some dairy when I had that pizza two times during the month, but other than that I had none. Well, excluding the milk that is an ingredient to some stuff. That crap is everywhere!

I've never made any type of fried rice, but I'll be making my own version of it today. White pasta is bad for us endogals and I'm going to try to cut it out. I'm addicted to veggie pasta though. Hopefully my veggie rice will turn out okay.

Of course, I did take vitex last cycle so that could have had something to do with it as well? I'm going to continue it this month and hopefully I don't have all the spotting during my lp like this past cycle. If I do, I won't be continuing it the following cycle.

How are you ladies doing? Do you have any favorite, quick, easy, endofriendly recipes? I've been putting my favorites on my blog, although they're not 100% endofriendly yet.

Oh yeah, I'm going to try kale today. Nothing fancy. I'm just going to saute it in a little olive oil with salt, pepper, and garlic.

BFP ~ 4/2/14 <3

Blog <3
ambernicole8484
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Lifesabeach624 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 1:23 pm

Hi ladies,

I have severe endo diagnosed in 2010, went thru my first ivf cycle that was a BFN in Oct and starting my second one up at the end of Jan. I am trying to better myself in any which way for second battle. I just so happened to click on this link and started reading what you all are doing. I swear I feel like AF just gets worse and worse as the months go on and last month my husband wanted to take me to the ER. Its just so painful and I can't explain this to someone who doesn't have it. I recently joined weight watchers and am back at the gym, wanting to loose weight to make myself feel mentally and physcially better. But I always asked and never got an answer if there was anything to eat to decrease the pain of endo! Where do I start?

Thanks for listening,
Toni Ann
Toni Ann (ME) 29 Dom(DH) 31
TTC baby # 1- Sept 2012
Oct 2010-Cyst removed/Endo cleaned. Dx:severe endo
Oct 2010- April 2011 Lupron Injections
March 2013 HSG tubes clear
Aug 2013-dx:inactive thyroid

IVF#1 Oct 2013:
10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 5 fertilized (2 w/ ICIS, 3 on own)
5dt (2 embryos) (0 made it to freeze)
Beta BFN

IVF#2 Jan 2014:
15 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized (on own)
3dt(2 trans) (10 frozen)
BETA! BFP -HCG 10.3/Progesterone 8.2
BETA BFN Chemical Pregnancy

FET#1 May 2014
ET 2 embryos (7 frozen)
BETA 5/23 BFP- 143.6!! 5/27-588!!
6/23 no HB Baby made it's way to Heaven
D&C at 8 weeks

On break for a bit...
Lifesabeach624
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby ABelle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:19 pm

Hey tori,

I had less severe pain after my lapsurgeries but it wasn't until I started acupuncture that I started to feel better. My period are no longer as heavy, long, or painful. I stopped dairy. Going gluten free also helps with inflammation associated with endo and I love it. Best of luck to you sweetie. This is One. Tough. Road.

ABelle
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby have6furrybabies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:06 am

I've hade 5 laps in the past 4 years for stage 4 endo. In 2009 I decided to go gluten, sugar, red meat, dairy and alcohol free. I've had 3 more surgeries in that time, so not sure if diet really works, but am too scared to eat whatever I like in case the endo gets even worse... I reintroduced dairy after a year because my hair started falling out, despite being on all sorts of crazily expensive supplements.

My doc basically said that there is no evidence that says that diet will help endo, but it may help it. He also said that it helps those of us who are feeling helpless and out of control with what are bodies are doing, regain some control, and that in itself can help the endo settle because we're not freaking out so much.

Hope it works for you, Toni.
ME 37 DP 52

6 fur children
have6furrybabies
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Lifesabeach624 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 am

Hi girls!

Thank you for your responses!

So I went in for lap surgery in 2010 to remove a cyst and then while I was under the cyst was so large they had to stop lap & basically give me a c-section. (and put me on the maternity floor-what a tease! lol) Anyway when they removed the cyst they found endo covering everything and removed it all. I was told NOW that I should of tried then, but no one told me then! I have always asked what I could do and like you ladies the doctor never mentioned a diet. Abelle I want to start acupuncture too! Even tho it scares me, it is nice to know it might help with endo too! Have6furrybabies-the whole out of control thing is totally on point, I am always wondering what is going on in there if the endo is growing everywhere. It makes sense to regain contol (as much as we can), thank you for that! I feel like I can't explain the pain to someone who doesn't have endo, its so difficult.
Toni Ann (ME) 29 Dom(DH) 31
TTC baby # 1- Sept 2012
Oct 2010-Cyst removed/Endo cleaned. Dx:severe endo
Oct 2010- April 2011 Lupron Injections
March 2013 HSG tubes clear
Aug 2013-dx:inactive thyroid

IVF#1 Oct 2013:
10 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 5 fertilized (2 w/ ICIS, 3 on own)
5dt (2 embryos) (0 made it to freeze)
Beta BFN

IVF#2 Jan 2014:
15 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized (on own)
3dt(2 trans) (10 frozen)
BETA! BFP -HCG 10.3/Progesterone 8.2
BETA BFN Chemical Pregnancy

FET#1 May 2014
ET 2 embryos (7 frozen)
BETA 5/23 BFP- 143.6!! 5/27-588!!
6/23 no HB Baby made it's way to Heaven
D&C at 8 weeks

On break for a bit...
Lifesabeach624
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby have6furrybabies » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:01 am

Ambernicole, is there a specific reason for waiting so long for your next surgery? When I've had mine, the doctors have always been in a terrible hurry to get in and sort it out.

I saw you love pasta, not sure if you have the same brands in the US as we do over here, but we have a really good gluten-free pasta called Pasta de Oro. It's the least cardboardy sort of one we have here.
ME 37 DP 52

6 fur children
have6furrybabies
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Next

Return to Endometriosis