TTC after IUD and past history of severe endometreosis

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC after IUD and past history of severe endometreosis

Postby Lacilou » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:10 pm

Hello all! I am new to this board. A little background on me. I am currently 34. I have a history of severe Endometreosis. When I was in my early to mid 20's, my husband and I started TTC. I had 2 surgeries for my endometreosis within 6 months of each other, and had been on clomid for a couple years. My hormones were so screwed up. I had breast milk and everything. It was CRAZY! I never really had regular periods either, and they were super heavy and super painful. Used OPK's and was supposedly ovulating at times. Got pg twice on clomid, lost both very early. Doc said I'd probably never carry a pregnancy. So we quit "trying", quit fertility meds, and adopted a son when I was 26. Right after, I got pregnant. Yep! Totally happened to me! My pregnancy about killed me, and they didn't think I'd be able to keep the pregnancy. Had a pic line and it was HORRIBLE! Long story short, it all worked out and my kiddos are 9.5 months apart! Right after the birth of my daughter, I got the mirena IUD for 2 reasons. Birth control, and to treat my endometreosis and heavy periods. I had my first mirena for the full 5 years. Immediately got a 2nd one and had it in for almost 3 years. I had the 2nd one removed on February 17 of this year because of side effects and ready to TTC. While on the first mirena, I had almost no periods, ever. And when I did, they were very light and sporadic. Second mirena, I started having periods regularly every month, but they were extremely light and wouldn't last long. Maybe 4 or 5 days. Really didn't even need to wear a tampon or anything. But they were monthly and regular. I was very worried about what would happen to my cycle after removal. I had a period on February 11 prior to removal. Was super light (normal for the mirena). I was still spotting VERY lightly upon removal and had what I thought was a couple days of removal spotting. Basically just felt like it extended my "period" by a couple days. Other than that, had no symptoms from removal besides feeling a HECK of a lot better. Other side effects seemed to clear nearly immediately. I'll never do synthetic hormones/foreign objects in my body again! I wondered what would happen with my period though. Well like clockwork, I started my period yesterday. Right on time! It was very light yesterday, and today is a little heavier. Bright red blood today, something that was never really experienced while on mirena. It always seemed to be old brown blood because it was so light with the mirena. I've also had some cramping. NOTHING like before when my endometriosis was making me miserable. Totally manageable.. so far. So it seems as if my period is getting back to normal fairly quickly. I am anxious to see how long it will take to normalize and conceive. Between pregnancy and 8 years of the mirena, my endometreosis was cleared up. So if I am thinking correctly, I should be pretty fertile, unless that pesky endometreosis starts to grow and build up again. Has anyone had similar experiences after mirena removal? You hear horror stories about how long it takes to regulate after mirena removal and consequently getting prego. I haven't really experienced that as of yet. I'm hoping to conceive asap! I don't want Endometreosis to grow and take over! What has been your experiences?
Lacilou
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: TTC after IUD and past history of severe endometreosis

Postby Tina03 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:16 pm

Hi, I guess i have a pretty sad story so far. I never knew of my endo till i was 28 or so (today i'm 33). I was on the pill since i was about 16 till about 25. I got pregnant right after the stop of the pill, i think fairly quickly like the first or second month. Sadly my partner at that time thought it's not a good time to have a baby and i had an abortion which haunts me till today kinda. I didn't take the pill anymore, trying to stay as natural as i can away from hormones. Also my relationship went downhill from this incident. After about 3 years i started to have severe pain, i hardly could work or stand up straight. Cysts were discovered, which wouldn't disappear and i had to have a lap which confirmed my endo. I had a new partner by then and we tried to conceive about a half year after lap (which was kinda late already). I was 30 by then. We tried for over a year without success, cysts were discovered again and my first doc didn't even do anything about it although she knew i had endo, "just keep trying". I looked for another doctor. He did all tests and most of it were bad news. My tubes and uterus are fine, but my ovaries are damages, in the wrong position since they are grown together with other tissue and egg quality low. Now i have to go for another lap if i want to get pregnant to get rid of the cysts and put my ovaries back in position but the risk for more scarring is there too. My pain is fine, i don't really got much problems otherwise. So now I'm basically in between, either having the lap or just try my luck and most likely have no children. If i had known my diagnosis back then before i was pregnant my decision would have been completely different. I seemed like my only chance then. It's so important to know early if you have endo and how if affects you.
2012 diagnosed with endometriosis, surgery/lap, diagnosed with subseptate uterus 2017...TTC since almost 3 years before first BFP in 2015
2015 August 4 - MC identical twins at 7 w, BFP @ 13dpo - squinter BFP @ 12 dpo, Betas: 152, 310, 1982
2016 Oct 10 - MC at 5-6 weeks, BFP @ 9dpo, Beta @ 4w 199

2016 Dec 30 - BFP @ 9dpo > EDD Sept 13, 2017 It's a BOY (av. BPM 130)

Tina03
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Lacilou » Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:33 pm

Hello Tina! I'm so sorry to hear of your story. It's incredible how endometreosis can just reek havoc on your reproductive system. People just don't understand it unless they've dealt with it. I am glad you are not in a lot of pain though, that makes it even worse. I understand the laps. I had 2 within 6 months of each other. One of them they also drained my right ovary because it was 3 times the size it was supposed to be and full of endometroma. I think that's what it's called! Basically blood stuff. Right before I found out I was pregnant, they were going to take that ovary out. It's so hard to decide what to do. I totally feel for you!!! My prayers and thoughts are with you!!
Lacilou
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Tina03 » Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:36 pm

Thank you Lacilou, ya pain wouldn't be the reason for another lap right now, my pain is not so strong that i can't bear it, it has been way worse before the first lap, it really only is needed for me to get pregnant or reduce the damage it does to my ovaries. The first lap did improve my pain for sure as endo parts were removed from other places in my belly too but my ovaries somehow either healed wrong and grew together with other tissue or cause new cysts developed so fast during healing, I don't really know....I give myself some more time before another lap and we will see. It's hard on me to maybe never have children but I have to deal with it and make the best out of it. It's great you were able to have a baby of your own, it's funny how it happened right after adoption when you basically gave up, I hear often about such stories though. But it hasn't happened for me yet >< maybe I haven't given up yet completely but I'm also not the most relaxed person currently so that might be another issue. I hope all stays as manageable for you as it is now and you are able to have another baby!!!
2012 diagnosed with endometriosis, surgery/lap, diagnosed with subseptate uterus 2017...TTC since almost 3 years before first BFP in 2015
2015 August 4 - MC identical twins at 7 w, BFP @ 13dpo - squinter BFP @ 12 dpo, Betas: 152, 310, 1982
2016 Oct 10 - MC at 5-6 weeks, BFP @ 9dpo, Beta @ 4w 199

2016 Dec 30 - BFP @ 9dpo > EDD Sept 13, 2017 It's a BOY (av. BPM 130)

Tina03
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Lacilou » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:32 pm

Thankyou Tina03!!! Prayers to you too that it works out to your benefit!!!!
Lacilou
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to Endometriosis