Have lap to diagnose?

Support for anyone who has been diagnosed with endometriosis, or thinks they may have endo.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Have lap to diagnose?

Postby AndiA108 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 6:35 am

Hi ladies, really hoping I can find some support here. For a couple years now docs have told me they think I have endo. but it can only be confirmed by lap. When my first doc. thought I had it I wasn't currently trying to conceive so she put me on bc. We've been ttc for a year now, and symptoms are back. I thought I had a uti went to doc, they saw a cyst. Originally told me it was a dermoid and it wouldn't go away without surgery. The pain kept up for over 2 weeks, I went back and the cyst was gone!? So the doctor told me all symptoms point to endo. but the only way to diagnose is with lap.

How do you make that decision? What if it's not endo and I go through surgery for nothing? I'm having such a hard time making that decision. She was a doctor on call and I meet with my doctor next week to talk things over. My questions for any ladies out there, were they able to do anythinnngggg else to give you a better idea of you having endo than surgery? I did just get more bloodwork done, hoping something in that gives her a sign too. I just want to know it's a GOOD chance this is what it is before I do surgery. I've been ttc for over a year, so doc said this could be why.
ME: 29, DH: 31
TTC #1 since November 2014

01/2014 - MC 6wks
12/2015 - MC 5wks
2 Rounds Clomid 50mg - BFN
(NTNP Feb 2016 - April 2016)
09/2016 - Round 3 Clomid 50mg + 200mg CoQ10 3xs Day
10/2016 - Clomid Challenge Test 100mg - Responded well
11/2016 - Clomid 100mg - BFP 12/03/2016 -- Ended in a miscarriage: 12/22/2016

3 months after our miscarriage... 03/22/2017 - Unexpected BFP. Praying this is our rainbow baby.
04/11/2017 - 6w5d saw the heartbeat!
04/19/2017 - 8w5d heartbeat still strong @ 178 :D
06/28/2017 - It's a boy! <3

AndiA108
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Have lap to diagnose?

Postby Danaa » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:49 am

Hello,im sorry to hear about ur cyst and your problems conceiving!I had a lap over a year ago,it was a diagnostic lap,to see what is preventing me to get pregnant,I have 3 small incisions,one in my belly button and 2 on the sides where my ovaries are,they didn't found any endo but they did cleared some adhesions and unblocked my right tube,the surgery was really easy,the pain after the surgery was something like AF cramps but worse that was just in the first hours,my doc cleared me to go home after 12h,it took me around 3 days to feel good!If i had to do it again I would in a sec!The surgery wasn't a big deal for me but we are all different and our bodies are different!I can't say if you should have the surgery or not but if it were me and I had all necessary tests and nothing showed that could prevent me to get pregnant I would go for the surgery!Good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Have lap to diagnose?

Postby Tina03 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:30 pm

Hello Andia,
I had a lap 2012. I had cysts on my ovaries which wouldn't disappear or wouldnt get much smaller over the next cycles. Pain got worse and worse to a point it disrupted daily life. My doctor told me, he can see on the ultrasound it didnt look like hormonal cysts which are filled with clear liquid and would apear dark on the ultrasound. My cysts seemed filled with a denser material and appeared milky or white on the ultrasound. He said it could even be dermoid cysts maybe. So I decided to have the lap to get rid of the pain and the cysts. I was diagnosed with endometriosis and the dense material in the cysts was blood which is thick like liquid chocolate, that's why they call them chocolate cysts.
Ask your doctor how the cysts appear on the ultrasound or let him show you the pics. Hormonal cysts usually will disappear after 1 or 2 cycles with your period. Chocolate cysts won't disappear really or even get bigger with each period. I have to say though that after surgery after a few months I seemed to have cysts again and also experienced some pain again but not as bad as before. I changed my diet and took natural med and got pregnant and before or while I was pregnant no cysts were discovered. So I don't know what made the cysts I had disappear if they were again chocolate cysts. Maybe they were just hormonal this time, but I don't have the clear info to that and wasn't going to regular visits either. All I know is I had cysts again at some point and they disappeared.
So important is to know what kind of cysts they seem to be on the ultrasound. Might have to question your doctor a bit more about that, filled with dense or liquid material? If he's convinced the cysts aren't hormonal and seem not to disappear after a few cycles, you should go for the lap. But your cysts did go away after a short time I guess, so in that case if all seems clear now and ok on the ultrasound I wouldn't go for it unless you just want to make sure. Cause during the lap they can also discover and solve other problems that wouldn't be seen on an ultrasound.
2012 diagnosed with endometriosis, surgery/lap, diagnosed with subseptate uterus 2017...TTC since almost 3 years before first BFP in 2015
2015 August 4 - MC identical twins at 7 w, BFP @ 13dpo - squinter BFP @ 12 dpo, Betas: 152, 310, 1982
2016 Oct 10 - MC at 5-6 weeks, BFP @ 9dpo, Beta @ 4w 199

2016 Dec 30 - BFP @ 9dpo > EDD Sept 13, 2017 It's a BOY (av. BPM 130)

Tina03
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Endometriosis