HSG before clomid?

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

HSG before clomid?

Postby pjju » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:30 pm

So I am super mad right now maybe someone can help me. Doc put me on prometrium for my long irregular cycles to start my period so that we could start my first round of clomid. Well just got my period today after taking the prometrium and called nurse n she tells me I have to get a HSG test done now... N she tells me that she has to see if the tubes are blocked first before they give u clomid. Wtf thanks for telling me this NOW I was all super excited to start my clomid n get pregnant but no. Now I have to get this test done and take ANOTHER round of prometrium and THEN clomid? I just want to give up this is so stressful. Not to mention it's gonna cost me 200$ to get this test done!!! Is it REALLY necessary? :((((
pjju

Re: HSG before clomid?

Postby laomy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:42 pm

I'm sorry :( that totally sucks, she should have been much clearer with you about what had to happen first. Ugh!

I think the reasoning is that you shouldn't take clomid for more than so many cycles, and if your tubes are blocked it would be a pointless exercise to take Clomid and waste a cycle on it. The HSG test sucks but its over very quickly and you know the results instantly. I had to pay about $160 out of pocket for my hsg test.

I totally agree that your doc screwed up by not telling you in advance and you got your hopes up... although I do agree that an HSG is the ideal thing to do before starting clomid. I do think the hsg is necessary though, just to rule that out. It will tell you if there is anything wrong with the uterus too, so its not just for the tubes.
Me and DH both 33 years old, TTC#1

laomy
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby pjju » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:36 am

Thanks for replying ! I JUST had it done yesterday 350$ out of pocket .. And yes I do agree I am kinda glad I got it done because now I know what's going on. Doc told me left tube clear and right tube partially blocked. I am going to call gyno on Monday to see if she will put me on the progesterone to start period and then clomid this cycle. The radiologist said they most likely would but who knows. But yes the test WAS painful for about 20 seconds and I spotted alittle bit too but I hope it makes me more fertile lol. We shall see. Infertility is so stressful... If the nurse tells me I have to get ONE more test done ima lose it >.<
pjju

Postby pjju » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:37 am

N ya ur right it would be pointless to start it if my tubes were blocked!
pjju

Postby mamabear1 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:01 am

I completely get your frustration but try not to think of it as a set back. You're still moving forward and having a "clean out" so to speak just might help you get your bfp. It worked for me - the same cycle I had it done,I got my bfp.

Fx for you.
[i]TTC one more precious bundle since Oct 2013 with my now 41yr old eggs, and severe mfi :(

m/c Jan 2007 7w5d
DD Nov 2007
DS Feb 2010
m/c Aug 2014 10w5d

IVF#1
EPU 25/1/16 - 5 follicles, 5 eggs (all mature), 3 fertilised (ICSI).
CGH testing on 1 day 6 embryo = abnormal.
Time for a new FS and a kick a*s protocol.
mamabear1
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby pjju » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:26 am

That's exciting :0 I spotted little bitty grey chunks the day I had it done and yesterday I don't know if it was the solution they put in me coming out or something else? I Duno I hope I can get pg too this cycle ttc for 2 years now :( 1 m/c
pjju

Postby pjju » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:09 am

Nurse let me know I can start clomid next cycle! I'm excited! I'll prolly need prometrium to start my period and then can start my clomid ^_^ happy
pjju

Return to Clomid and Femara