GP says I'm 'not entitled' to Clomid - is there another way?

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

GP says I'm 'not entitled' to Clomid - is there another way?

Postby MemmaJ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:25 am

Apologies in advance for the long post....

I went to see my GP last month - even though we'd only been TTC 6 months, I felt very strongly that something wasn't 'right' as I was having this irregular bleeding/spotting, which I'd never had before, intercourse was becoming painful (in my pelvic/abdominal area), and some months I wasn't getting what I would class as a definitely positive OPK.
Call it woman's instinct, but I know my general cycle and my body, and I knew something wasn't quite right that was contributing to us not conceiving.

I was told by GP that OPK's are a waste of time and money (as I expected her to say), but luckily she did agree to look into the irregular bleeding. She arranged a pelvic ultrasound, a speculum examination to look at the cervix, some general 'infection' swabs, and some baseline hormonal bloods (not at any particular point in my cycle, just 'whenever'). She also commented that I looked quite anaemic, so threw in a Full Blood Count test too.

The first result back showed that I am quite anaemic so I was started in iron tablets. Kind-of expected that anyway to be honest.
Next result back was the swabs, which showed I had bacterial vaginosis (never had it before and didn't have any symptoms) - so I had a 5 day course of Metronidazole gel pessary. Cervix was said to have looked normal.
Then came the scan - which unfortunately showed that I do have ovarian cysts. The sonographer told me at the time that I had cysts, and showed them to me on the screen. She counted 9 on my left ovary, and said there were 'more' on my right. She also said that the size of my 'dominant' follicle at the time, didn't really tie in with where I was in my cycle, so it appeared I'm not ovulating properly.

Went back to the doctor who confirmed I have 'mildly' polycystic ovaries and my hormone blood results were 'borderline'. She therefore said I'm 'probably' not ovulating regularly - but after being so thorough before, I felt she then completely then dismissed me. She basically said to just keep trying and it 'might just happen'.
I asked about Clomid and was told I'm not entitled to it as I am not a first-time mother - and she basically just sent me on my way without any indication of the PCOS being monitored, or even a repeat swab to check that the BV has gone. But before that, she had the cheek to ask if we're 'sure we even want to do this' because we 'haven't even been together that long' (my partner was with me)

I feel very deflated and now just feel like it's never going to happen. I knew something wasn't right, and I was right - but now I know that nothing's going to be done about it (short of going private, which we can't afford any time soon - we'd have to save), I feel really flat.

I've been looking into other ways to induce ovulation and Vitex has been mentioned a lot...

I just wondered if anyone has any experience with this, what has worked for them/other people, or any suggestions as to how to go forward or get any further with the GP. I know funding etc is different in different healthcare trusts, so whereas some people may have got Clomid when TTC their second/third child, I've basically been sent away and told I can't have it. Is there any way around this?

Thank you all very much :-)
MemmaJ

Re: GP says I'm 'not entitled' to Clomid - is there another

Postby s4mm13 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:14 am

Sorry to hear about this.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but didn't want to read and run.

I do hope that someone can come and give some relevant advice soon. I'm assuming you're based in the uk? But correct if wrong as this will have a big effect on what you might be able to do.

The only thing I could suggest is that you maybe try to register with a different doctor or if there is more than one in your practice you get a second opinion.

I hope it gets better for you soon
Me 29
DH 30
Oscar forever 5 months
Our beautiful son Oscar, born 24/2/14 at 32 weeks with Tetralogy of Fallot, oesophageal atresia and tracheo oesophageal fistula. Earned his wings aged 5 months and 1 day.

Oscar is going to be a big brother. BFP #2 29/11/14

s4mm13
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Yelibaby » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:19 am

Sorry you had to go through that, some doctors are so insensitive. I agree with what's been said above. Try and check if you can go to another doctor for a second opinion. Good luck and baby dust!
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.
Hoping for twins!! :D

BFP Feb 2015 - Mc at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo) - EDD 2/5/2016

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

My Ovulation Chart

Yelibaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MemmaJ » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:38 am

Sorry, yes I should have said - I'm in the UK.
Thank you for your replies.
MemmaJ

Postby MandyKTTC2 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 1:19 pm

I've been on vitex for about a month and it seems to be helping me get regulated. I have also been taking Maca root and milk thistle, along with eating a spoonful of coconut oil everyday. I had extremely irregular cycles and suspected I had cysts but don't want to see a doctor for personal reasons. I found some good natural ways of dealing with them. Have you looked into castor oil packs? They have really helped me a lot. http://natural-fertility-info.com/castor-oil-therapy
Hope some of this helps you!
Husband (29), Me (29)
Surprise BFP 8/22/10
DD (3) emergency c-section 4/22/2011
Married 2/6/2012
NTNP Feb 2013-Sept 2014
TTC #2 since Sept 2014

My Ovulation Chart
MandyKTTC2

Postby Leilani1984 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:53 pm

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a hard time. I have not tried vitex but I am on my second cycle of soy isoflavones. My dr wouldn't prescribe me clomid because I have a "normal" 26/27 day cycle. Since taking soy, I havnt had any pre Af spotting, I ovulate on cd 13 and I'm a perfect 28 day cycle. It's worth a try as its nick named natures clomid. Also, check out the success rates on Google. I didn't get pregnant last month, but we have male factor infertility. I think that is why we havnt had any luck. Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck Hun.
Me:32 DH:40 DS:15 DD:12
Ttc my 3rd, DH's 1st since Oct. 2012
DH's SA= TERRIBLE, taking vitamins and Clomid

Hsg: 10/2015 Tubes Clear!
BFP! 11/21/2015 after 37 cycles ttc, 1st cycle after HSG
Angel: 11/30/2015

Lap: 7/2016 found NOTHING wrong
Now taking Clomid 3-7 50mg, mucinex, grapefruit juice, soft cups, and folic acid. Cmon sticky BFP!

http://fertilityfriend.com/home/4bc191/ ... %5B/url%5D
Leilani1984
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Leilani1984 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:01 pm

Sorry meant to specify, my first cycle (last month) it was 28 days. I don't know your medical history, nor am I a dr. So take at your own risk. It is natural. You only take it 5 days out of the month. If you want to know more then let me know.
Me:32 DH:40 DS:15 DD:12
Ttc my 3rd, DH's 1st since Oct. 2012
DH's SA= TERRIBLE, taking vitamins and Clomid

Hsg: 10/2015 Tubes Clear!
BFP! 11/21/2015 after 37 cycles ttc, 1st cycle after HSG
Angel: 11/30/2015

Lap: 7/2016 found NOTHING wrong
Now taking Clomid 3-7 50mg, mucinex, grapefruit juice, soft cups, and folic acid. Cmon sticky BFP!

http://fertilityfriend.com/home/4bc191/ ... %5B/url%5D
Leilani1984
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MemmaJ » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:49 am

Thank you for your reply :-)

Excuse my ignorance, but is it something you buy over the counter in tablet form?

I too have fairly regular cycles - they vary between 25 and 29 days, but have never ventured outside of that range, so that's not a problem.. I'm seemingly just not releasing an egg each time :-/

I use OPK's but the doc told me they're a waste of money as a positive result doesn't mean you're going to actually/definitely ovulate so I don't really know how I can tell whether I have or haven't from month to month... How do you know?
MemmaJ

Postby Yelibaby » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:54 am

Charting your bbt is the best way to know if you are ovulating. You take your temp everyday upon waking with a special bbt thermometer. During your follicular phase your temps will normally remain low due to the presence of estrogen and, once you've ovulated, your luteal phase begins, and progesterone released from the corpus luteum will heat up your body, so you will have a marked temperature shift indicating ovulation has occurred. In order to confirm ovulation, your temps should remain elevated for at least 3 days, and the temps should be higher than the previous 6 temps.

You should really try temping, as it eases your concerns regarding ovulation.
Me: 31
DH: 29
TTC #1 since OCT 2014. After 1 year Nuvaring.
Hoping for twins!! :D

BFP Feb 2015 - Mc at 7 weeks
BFP Apr 2015 - cp
BFP May 24th, 2015 (My bday - 9dpo) - EDD 2/5/2016

Beta 10dpo - 35// 12dpo - 100// 14dpo - 255// 17dpo - 1186.4// 21dpo - 7763.4

Progesterone 10dpo - 56.4 (oral progesterone)
Progesterone 14dpo - 61.3 (vaginal supplements and shot)

My Ovulation Chart

Yelibaby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby MemmaJ » Tue Dec 23, 2014 12:38 am

I have been temping but only for the last 3 cycles. But again, my doctor 'advised' that it might not mean anything because your body can get ready for, and even 'simulate' ovulation without actually releasing an egg. Don't know if she just meant with PCOS or in general, but that was also her argument against using OPK's... :-/
Feels a bit like everything I'm doing/have been doing is a waste of time after seeing her..!

My temps have been all over the place this month and I didn't get anywhere near as much of a 'spike' as I have before, but FF still marked it as a spike. I'm still not convinced but I guess I'll just have to keep an eye again next month. AF due any day between yesterday and tomorrow!
MemmaJ

Postby mc306 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:01 am

I would be switching GP's so quickly. She clearly is not on board with you trying to conceive and thinks of herself as a therapist too. You can't trust someone who is inserting their personal opinions to do what's best for you to conceive. That is just mind blowing.
Married May 2014
Me: 28
Him: 28
TTC #1 since December 2014
OPKs & temping
May & June 2015 cycles - Clomid 100mg
July 2015 took the month off and "relaxed" out of frustration
Image7/16/2015!!!
HCG 7/16 @ 10 DPO - 17
HCG 7/20 @ 14 DPO - 182
EDD 3/28/2015
mc306
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby MemmaJ » Fri Dec 26, 2014 2:18 am

Yes, she is so uninterested I couldn't believe it. My partner asked her at the time if she could recommend any private fertility clinics and her response was 'well it's easy enough for you to pick up the phone or go on the internet and find one yourself'...!
Unfortunately though, I've done some research and it seems she is right - the healthcare trust in which I live, will not find any treatment unless you are childless :-(

It will take is forever to save for private consultations and treatment - I've been looking at buying Clomid tablets online, which is know is risky and very much warned against, but I'm feeling pretty desperate right now...!
MemmaJ

Postby Crroy89 » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:43 am

Hello! I am TTC baby #1. I went to my Dr in May of 2013 and was diagnosed with PCOS, she told me when I was ready to get pregnant to come back and see her and she'd get me on Clomid. I made an appointment to see her in november, and unfortunately she's not with that practice any more. So I saw a different Dr, told her we haven't been preventing anything for over a year and that my periods are anywhere from 35-60 cycles. She did blood work, then called me to tell me to just take OPK's.
So I find it funny your GP tells you they are a waste of time, which I totally agree with, and my OB/GYN tells me to take them, even though she knows my cycles are crazy irregular. I was so upset but I finally decided I needed a second opinion! Get a second opinion!!!!! I am going tomorrow to a new practice and hope someone will take me seriously! Secondary infertility is just as upsetting as it is for someone who is experiencing it the first time around.
I've looked into Ovaboost and fertilaid.... But I'll wait until I see what the Dr says tomorrow!
Hope you find a good Dr that wants to help!!!
Crroy89
Friend

Postby MemmaJ » Tue Jan 06, 2015 5:32 am

Would be great to hear the outcome of your appointment - good luck with it..!

Unfortunately there is nothing i can do - even a second opinion won't help because all the doctors/GP's within my healthcare trust will be working under the same guidelines and criteria for fertility referral. And if the guidelines say you must be childless (which they do), no doctor will refer me (whether they agree with it or not).

I've just started taking Vitex having read about it helping others, I've also looked into Soy and wonder whether that would actually be better for me than Vitex... But to be honest, I don't feel partiilarly convinced that it will do anything - I just want some Clomid!

My route is either going to be one of going private (which we would need £600-£700 for initially, then £300-£400 per subsequent cycle) - money we would have to save a few months for. Or buying it online now.... Which I know is advised against, but I am heavily leaning towards it at the moment!
MemmaJ

Return to Clomid and Femara