No Luck with Clomid, stopped taking it, anyone else?

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

No Luck with Clomid, stopped taking it, anyone else?

Postby BetsyLoo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:53 am

I took Clomid for 5 cycles, AF arrived last week, now onto my next cycle, just about a week in, but I'm not taking the Clomid this month, I feel like a Chemistry project with that and a couple other things my OB/GYN had me taking. Hubs and I have been TTC for 18 months, I'm 34, he's 36. He's had a SA and all counts are good. I've had blood tests, all normal counts, and an ultrasound, physically everything looked good. During that ultrasound, which I had because Clomid changed my cycle and symptoms like crazy, so they were checking for cysts and/or fibroids!!! Thank God they found NOTHING! They found a 'spot' in my uterine lining, said it looked hopeful, in the right spot, lining was nice and thick, so they had me get a blood test to see if it was early pregnancy, NOPE :( I was devastated!!! Of course once we started TTC, everyone is popping up pregnant around us! I'm happy for them, I truly am, but I can't help but be down, like when is it our turn? Unexplained infertility is soooo frustrating. If I knew there was something wrong, then we could do something....I've made an appointment with a RE for the 20th of April, so we will see how that goes and what comes of it! I'm just not starting to stress when seeing how much things cost with them....

I've started temping and using a fertility app along with OPK this month....so hopefully just going off the drugs will be our BFP, praying and hoping!

ANY women out there have similar issues with Clomid? Didn't work for them, tried something else, got BFP's??????? Need a little encouragement! Wasn't receiving it on another thread I was on, so I decided to start my own!
BetsyLoo

Re: No Luck with Clomid, stopped taking it, anyone else?

Postby Ard529 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:08 am

Hey Betsy,
I am so sorry to hear about your struggles! I completely understand how frustrating that may be. I also totally get about everyone around you getting pregnant except for you! I swear every day on FB someone is announcing their pregnancy, and same as you, I am happy for them, but cant help but feel so down and depressed.

My first cycle with clomid ( 50 mg) was unsuccessful, I am trying again this month to see if it works, I also talked to my dr where he only wants me on clomid for 2 more months, if nothing happens, we move to IUI. Same as you I got checked and everything seems just fine, my hubby too, the only sort of explanation is a short luteal phase, thats about it. And, I am charting my temp as well.

Let me know how the appointment goes on the 20th, hopefully they will help figure out a plan. If you need to vent or anything, I am here! I am trying my best to be positive and hopeful, but its hard.

Try to have a great day!
Ard529

Postby BetsyLoo » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:50 am

Thanks soooo much Ard!!! Yeah originally my Dr said to take it for 3 months, and if it didn't work, then we'd move onto something else. But when I went back in, he kind of pushed me out of the office, said to continue the Clomid...so I switched OB/GYNs, that's when I had the ultrasound.....unfortunately the new Dr said there was nothing else he could do, that I needed to go to RE....I'm hopeful that they can help, just now trying to remain calm and positive without freaking out about how much all of it is going to cost!!! I thought IUI wouldn't be too bad as a next step if necessary, but at this place it's still gonna range from $1500-$2000...I don't know where you are financially, I'm not rolling in the dough LOL, I can pay it, but honestly I don't want to have to, ya know?! Ahhhhhhhhhhh LOL! Thanks for reading, listening and responding! I appreciate it!

I'll be praying for you as well! Clomid success stories are everywhere, hang in there, this can definitely be your month!!! Just wasn't for me I guess.....I was ovulating on my own, Dr prescribed it as a boost since we weren't having success....I was on 100mg...are you seeing a RE or is this just your OB/GYN?

Yeah my Hubs is such a positive person, which is wonderful, I love that about him! But it does make it difficult for us because I get sooooo down when AF arrives, and he's just like, it's ok babe, we just keep trying! So then when I'm down, he gets frustrated cause he doesn't understand the way I deal with things. He's learning, and seeing that I just need that first day to cry and be disappointed, then I get over it LOL! Plus it doesn't help women who are TTC that AF arrives first of all, then she brings pain and agony with her along with hormone rollercoasters...I tell him it's a recipe for disaster LOL!!! Poor guy, he's been a trooper!
BetsyLoo

Postby Danaa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:57 am

BetsyLoo im so sorry you are feeling so down and frustrated,I can understand you really good,it seems like everyone else is getting pregnant except me,Ofc i get really upset but I try to shake it off,I have been TTC for 2+years,I have had all the tests I could possibly imagine,is not easy to stay positive and not let TTC get to you,I wish I could say getting off clomid or starting doing something it will help you get pregnant but unfortunately I can't,no one can't say this,we can only pray for you and stay hopeful, help you when you need an advice or anything else!i have no experience with clomid but in what I read the side effects,the effect that had on ur lining i don't like it,I would choose GonalF over clomid any time!I think when you are dealing with fertility drugs is bound to have some effects on your cycle!!I hope your RE apoiment goes well and you will find a good doctor to have a good relationship with,I think having a good relationship with ur doc is very important bcs TTC is a really emotional time and we all need a bit of support from our doc not too just treat us like files!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ard529 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:35 am

Betsy,
Of course, I am here for you! And same as you, I am not rolling in the dough either. I am seeing a fertility dr and the tests we have done so far is already costing us so much! My husband has been great too, we must be very similar because i cry and get down and he says the same things to me, he is so supportive and always there for me. Its hard though because they are not going through exactly what we are, I know they get down as well, but their bodies and minds are not in the same place as ours.

Danaa- totally agree with you on finding the right Dr- we are going through so much and you need someone you can trust and feel open to talking to about anything. My Dr. has been great, so I am lucky!

Praying for both of you and hope we will all hear some good news soon enough!!
Ard529

Postby Danaa » Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:54 am

Pffff the costs of everything....I stopped counting long time ago,I payed for everything so I understand!I have a great doctor but I have seen about 2 other before the one I'm currently seeing now!,he is really nice we joke around,he even said he is not seeing me until I don't get pregnant:))Are you doing something diferent this cycle?besides injectables im drinking grapefruit juice,i will be using preseed and softcups!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby BetsyLoo » Thu Apr 16, 2015 5:07 am

Thank you both so much!!!

Ard, yes it's great having a supportive man, but you're right....they don't get it exactly, and they are men LOL! They process things differently than we do, we are definitely more emotional :) But as you know, having their support is wonderful :) I just keep trying to remind myself of that....how terrible I feel inside, but imagine how terrible it would be if he wasn't supportive and there for me, I'd be a basket case LOL!

Danaa, I'm praying that this RE I'm seeing on Monday is that Dr that I feel comfortable with. My new OB/GYN that I switched to, I felt much more comfortable with than my original doctor, but for his expertise, there wasn't much more he could help me with which is why I'm off to the RE.

I've used preseed quite a few times, keep it around. Before Clomid and preseed, since we were just TTC not knowing it would take us this long, all I used was OPKs after about our first 6 months of trying. I've been using those ever since. After over a year, that's when I was put on Clomid and told to BD EOD which we did for 3 cycles, then 4th cycle BD everyday that OPK had a smiley face, then 5th cycle back to Dr orders of EOD from CD10-CD20. So this month, I'm not on any medications or anything. I've tried fertility teas in the past as well, now I wasn't drinking like 3 cups a day like some people say, but I drank a couple cups a day of it, and that didn't work either, but I also wasn't faithful to it. I guess as much as I want a baby, when it has to be soooooo much work and all this stuff, I get overwhelmed. Like drink this, take that, BD at this time, no BD at this time.......it has all become too much for me, which is why this month, nothing, just going to enjoy my marriage, still try, but try my hardest not to think about it. Have the appt on Monday, and then go from there! I should O this weekend, so we shall see what happens!! I did start temping the end of my last cycle, so I've been doing that faithfully so far this cycle....thanks again for reading and responding, just typing it out and getting it out has been a huge stress relief for me!!!!

Keep me posted on your status :) I'll be praying for BFPs all around :) I'll let you know what happens after my appointment on Monday....
BetsyLoo

Postby Ard529 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 8:38 am

Betsy,
Glad it helps you getting it all out there. I think it helps me too, its just always on my mind and its all I think about. I don't blame you for taking time off from clomid, I will start my 2nd round on saturday and i am already over it all, its just so unfair that it wont happen for good people like us. I completely get that life is not fair, but its just so hard.

Let us know what the dr. says next week- hopefully good news and a better plan to make this happen for you!

Praying for everyone!! :)
Ard529

Postby BetsyLoo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:43 am

I'm excited and nervous at the same time for my appt this afternoon with the RE!!!! I've been temping, and using OPK, and I got flashing smiley Saturday and Sunday, and solid smiley this AM, sooooo I'm going to be O in 24-48 hours! So we were able to get BD in Sat morning, and last night.....with the appt today, I know they won't be able to tell anything obviously, but I just think it would be awesome if our first month off all the medications and such, we got a BFP!!! That's what I'm praying for :) Or at least that it's something they can confirm is 'wrong', the 'unexplained' part is the worst for me....not understanding what the hold up is, ya know?! IF there was something 'wrong', then I would know what was going on or not going on.

Well just needed to get that all out LOL! Relax my nerves a little bit....more to come after the appt!
BetsyLoo

Postby Ard529 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:12 am

Betsy!
I was just going to message you and wish you good luck! Everything will go great this afternoon! And thats awesome you got the smileys!! I completely understand getting frustrated with the " unexplained part" thats the same for me, its like why is it not happening!!! Let me know how the apt goes!! Wishing you luck, everything will be great!!

I am on cycle day 7, ( day 3 of taking clomid) I felt super sick yesterday! Today I am doing ok! I am praying this round works and I can also see a BFP in May, but we will see! I am just going through the motions at this point, once second I am positive and the next I am down and think it will never happen! I met with a friend on Friday night who is also having fertility problems and she just failed with her first round of IVF- I felt so bad for her and I know I am not at that stage yet, but I still couldn't help to think, I hope that my situation does not come to that!

I will be thinking about you today! Good luck Lady! :)
Ard529

Postby BetsyLoo » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:23 am

Awwww thanks!! I have all my questions written down to get my monies worth LOL!!!

Were you put on Clomid for PCOS or ovulation problems? If so, the increased chances of conception are high! Sorry you weren't feeling well, Clomid symptoms of course vary per person, but I had major symptoms when I was on it...like my body was playing tricks on me. Praying you feel better, and that YES this is your month for BFP!!! I can completely understand about your friend, feeling bad and relating to her situation, but also hoping that doesn't become you!! Totally get it! It's perfectly normal to feel that way. That's nice though that you have a friend that can relate to what you're going through. My girlfriends are sympathetic, but they haven't experienced it so of course they really don't understand. Like I don't want to talk to them about it since they don't get it cause to them it's like that's all I talk about, but that's ALL I think about! Wanting a baby with my Husband to start a family, ya know?! As it is way easier said than done, keep on the positivity train, and I'm here for ya!

I have one girlfriend from home that is empathetic because she is in a similar boat to me, but she's home in NY and I live in SC now....we text and talk, but we say all the time, I wish I was home so we could do lunch, cry together with ice cream, etc LOL! This thread has really brought me relief and support, I know we don't 'know' each other, but I really appreciate it!!! Truly!!

I'll update this evening after my appointment, praise God too that we have supporting Husbands!!! Makes a world of difference :) Just something I was thinking about on my positivity train this morning LOL!!! I've been making lists of blessings when I start to get really low, helps me remember all that I have instead of what I don't have....girl I'm trying hard to be optimistic! I'm such a realist that I tend to be pessimistic....BUT trying to change that! Ok good luck to us!!!!!
BetsyLoo

Postby Ard529 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:41 am

Good! yes ask lots of questions!

I was put on clomid because i have a shorter luteal phase i guess? Thats what the dr said anyway! I had everything checked and I am even Ovulating, but still nothing is happening. And yes It is nice I have my friend to talk to, all my other friends either have kids or dont want kids so I really only have her and this group! And I am sure its hard your friend is so far away, but thank god for email, texts, facetime, whatever you need! I am in Ohio, so not so close either, but I am always here too!

And I am more of a realist/ pessimist as well, but maybe this time around we can be optimistic and be positive that good things will happen! Yes, thank god for amazing husbands! I don't know where I would be without mine!

Good luck today Lady! Let me know what happens!
Ard529

Postby BetsyLoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:30 am

Soooo it was a long and very emotional appointment, lasting 2 hours. Met with the RE, explained the testing by my OB/GYN, how long we've been trying, etc. She of course walked us through the 3 main causes of infertility in couples, then I had an ultrasound. I had an ultrasound a month ago at my OB, and was told no cysts and no fibroids!! Well, the RE thinks she spotted a fibroid in my uterus!! I immediately was devastated. However, it wasn't looking like a normal fibroid, but something was there, so I had to change rooms to an older ultrasound machine in order for her to get a better look. She is still not 100% sure, so IF my period comes in a couple of weeks, I will have the HSG to check it and my tubes. She also is going to do my BW again since before mine was just done the day of my appt, I don't know if it was CD3 for me, which apparently that's when the blood should be drawn. We still tried for this month conception as got the solid smiley yesterday morning which if you've used them, carries over to today. One positive from the ultrasound is that she could see my left ovary and follie nicely, so she said I'm ovulating on that side! So that was nice to see.

I knew there may be more that we had to do to conceive, and we agreed we'll do what it takes, but honestly I wasn't emotionally ready for the option of insemination with drugs.....it makes me so sad because it's expensive, and it's not guaranteed. So what if it doesn't work? We spent most of our savings, and still aren't pregnant, and IVF, OMG that is wicked expensive, we can't afford it. I just felt so overwhelmed, I just cried!!!! I'm trying though to see the positive that IF AF shows up in a couple of weeks, I'll get more BW to pinpoint specifically, and the HSG will determine what's going on in my uterus, and if it is a fibroid, that can be removed, and that may be it! That may be the problem....AND because it was coded for insurance as fibroid, I only had to pay my copay instead of the full amount. Which was a HUGE blessing!!!! So overall really, I'm glad I went. I got more information than I had before, I have a plan of action, AND there is still hope that we conceived this time! I'm literally am just praying for our miracle to happen now, and then AF won't show up!!!

IF it isn't fibroids, then I'll be on a new drug and injectables, which I have a needle phobia, so Hubs will have to do it for me, then insemination. That is her plan for us after the BW and HSG depending on the outcome of that! On a positive side as well since it was so much to process, they have a great setup there. I have a Nurse specifically that I'll communicate with, so any questions or issues, I can just call or email her. So if I have any questions arise from the appt, I can just email them to her, so that gives me some more comfort. I just don't know how I'm feeling, ya know?! I'm happy to have some answers, some options, a plan, but also scared about surgery and the outcome of insemination.
BetsyLoo

Postby Ard529 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:06 am

OH Betsy!!
Well at least you went and there were positives in the conversation, not all negative! So still have hope that you will not get your AF and will get a BFP! But, if you do get your AF- at least you have a dr that can help with a plan! IT is VERY expensive, and my hubby and I probably dont have the money either, luckily my in laws have already said they would give us whatever we needed if it came down to it, but I still dont know how i feel about that! However, what if you spend all the money and it does work!!! Then it will all be worth it! There are lots of decisions for all of us on what steps to take and how far we want to go in the process!

If you have to get the shots, just try to remember that it will be worth it in the end, I am not a big fan either, but if we dont try, we will never know. And thank god once again for our amazing husbands that will support us and help us through it all! I had an HSG done a couple months ago, I was in a lot of pain after, but I am also a baby lol they say to just take advil an hour before and it wont be as bad!

I love the setup they have there with communicating with 1 nurse! Thats so nice! I think I signed something in the beginning about being able to email questions, but I never got an email? LOL It will be nice to have one person there to answer any questions and support you along the way!

I am praying your AF doesnt come this month! What day in the cycle are you? I am glad you got some answers, and I think at the point you wait ( which sucks) and go from there.

I am here for you!
Amanda
Ard529

Postby BetsyLoo » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:39 am

Thanks Amanda so much!!! After I got it all out, I decided to email the Nurse a couple of questions to try to keep it all from overwhelming me....I think that's what is causing me so much anxiety, is all the info. It's great to have, but sooooo much to process. So I decided to take it one step at a time...starting with no AF LOL, IF that witch shows up, BW and HSG, IF there is a fibroid, getting it removed. I asked this AM if there is one, could have that been the issue all along? Could be try ourselves after removal, or is IUI our only option? The Nurse emailed me back with the Dr response that yes we could try that first before IUI if that is the case. It gave me soooo much relief to hear that! Yes you're right, at least there's a plan with whatever outcome comes now. I'm just so verbal that typing it out or talking it out gives me relief, but if I don't do that I drive myself insane with over analyzing it LOL!!! Thanks again, this has been so helpful for me the last week or so!

That is a blessing! My parents just don't have the funds to help us at this time, and his Mother unfortunately does not either. I understand, it's great that they've offered, very very nice of them, but I get what you mean about not knowing how you feel about it. You'll know if you get to that point though, the right decision will bring you peace. But you're right...I could stress myself out all day about it not working, but it COULD work also! And yes, as much as I can't see a needle going into flesh (yes I'm very dramatic LOL), it will totally be worth it, and Hubs has no prob with needles, so I'll just close my eyes, and he can do it :) Truly we are lucky!!! What I needed from all the info was some peace, it really was overwhelming, and I got some clarification after processing it, and I feel soooo much better now! So it is a great and positive thing that we went. Now I kinda wish I went sooner LOL! All well, we started the process!

Today is CD12 for me...I ovulate early without Clomid, did before it, and my body bounced back pretty well without it. So the solid smiley was yesterday and today....I've felt some slight pains on my left side this AM, so I'm assuming it's dropping now or soon today! We BD last night, so I literally prayed that God would allow us this blessing to happen today! That we could be a testimony of His blessing and power! So I'm on that TWW :) Part of me has this strong hope that this IS our month, but then my realistic self sets in to say, ummmm it hasn't happened for 18 months, you need more than a consultation to help you out! So I'm sticking to my plan of each time negativity sets in, I remind myself of a blessing and concentrate on that!
BetsyLoo

Next

Return to Clomid and Femara