Should I ask for Clomid!?!

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Should I ask for Clomid!?!

Postby hero7 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:23 am

Hi All!

This is our 7th cycle TTC #1. During cycle #5, my gyno suggested we do a SA for DH & depending on those results, start me on Clomid. That was the same cycle I had my CP, so the doc then said, "well everything is working, you fertilized an egg, so I expect you'll get pregnant in the next couple cycles".

I'm trying to decide if I should go ahead and ask for that Clomid prescription. DH & I will be traveling when AF is due - and I know you start Clomid day 3 or day 5 of the cycle (we'll still be out of town). Of course I am REALLY hoping AF doesn't show, but should I be prepared with the Clomid? (I realize the doctor has a say in this and may want to monitor me, etc.)

If I don't get the Rx, then it'll be another cycle before I can start it...bringing us to Cycle 9/June/July. DH thinks it's OK to wait, but of course I have the "this must happen now" mentality. We would like to have more than 1 and at this point I'll be almost 39 by the time a baby is born...so I just worry...and I'm sure that doesnt help

Anyways, just curious what you all would do!
Me: 38
Hubby: 42

Married 11/2/2014
TTC #1

March 2015 - confirmed early MC/CP
May & June 2015 - Clomid 50mg - BFN
July 2015 - Testing done: AMH 0.72, FSH 10, DH SA #s are great, but lowish morphology
Aug 2015 - Follistim w/ timed - BFN
Oct 2015 - Follistim w/ IUI - BFN
Dec 2015 - New RE!! Updated labs - AMH is now 1.3! Started IVF meds 12/31, retrieval mid-Jan
hero7
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Re: Should I ask for Clomid!?!

Postby inthemetro » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:48 am

Just figured I'd throw in my two cents as someone in a similar boat. I had an early miscarriage and the doctor said the same thing to me, that it showed that things were working alright, but left me the option of whether to do Clomid he had prescribed before I found out I was pregnant. I waited out one cycle, but the next (this one) started Clomid. For me, I wanted to increase my odds I'd ovulate--I have PCOS and stubbornly irregular cycles, so even though I'd definitely been ovulating at least some of the time (hence the pregnancy), I wanted better chances. We did, however, opt out of a SA for DH, which also suits our opposite TTC preferences: I want to feel proactive and like I have control over at least some parts of the process, and he generally wants to worry about it less.

The one thing to add: my doctor wanted me to have a day 2 blood test. So I would check in with your doctor if you need that. Other than that, though, I don't think being out of town matters, or at least it wouldn't have for me--I took the clomid days 5-9 and had no side effects at all, and didn't need to see the doctor till I did an ultrasound on day 13.
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)
7 cycles of clomid: bfn
first cycle injectables: bfp!

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby hero7 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:33 am

Thanks for your reply! I appreciate your insight. I will probably call the DR and see if he'll give me the prescription. I just figure I'd rather have it so I can start it if needed when we're out of town... If I were going to be here, I'd be able to wait to see if AF comes and then get the Rx. But with that approach I'd have to wait another cycle and I just don't wanna! :-)

Married 11/2/2014
TTC #1

July 2015 - Testing done: AMH 0.72, FSH 10, DH SA #s are great, but lowish morphology
Dec 2015 - New RE!! Updated labs - AMH is now 1.3! Started IVF meds 12/31, retrieval mid-Jan
hero7
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby frankme1 » Mon May 04, 2015 8:26 am

I wouldn't wait, I would ask for the Clomid 8)
TTC for 17 months
8 rounds of 50mg Clomid = BFNs
2/14 - started first round of Follistim, trigger, and IUI.
Me=28, DH=41
frankme1
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby hero7 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:03 pm

Hey! I did, I called last week & they called in the Rx for me! If AF shows on vacation, then I will start the 50mg on CD 3!

FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Married 11/2/2014
TTC #1

hero7
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby inthemetro » Mon May 04, 2015 12:11 pm

It makes sense to me--the more options the better. And good luck! It'd be great to have your vacation and your BFP all at the same time!
30 years old, TTC #1

PCOS, blood disorder
mc (March 2015)
7 cycles of clomid: bfn
first cycle injectables: bfp!

My Ovulation Chart
inthemetro
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Return to Clomid and Femara