Anyone starting a round of Femara in March?

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Anyone starting a round of Femara in March?

Postby FutureBabyBee » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:57 pm

Hi ladies,

I'm going to start a Femara/Ovidrel/TI protocol in March. We have been through 2 rounds of IUI with Femara and 2 rounds of IUI with Femara and Follistim, then Gonal-F with the 4th cycle being cancelled due to poor response. All BFNs. Before we move on to IVF per our new insurance we are doing 3 cycles of Femara 7.5, ovidrel trigger and TI. I really don't have a lot of faith in it working since we did not have luck with the IUIs. Is anyone else in the same boat for March?
Me- 26 dx PCOS, Hypothyroid
DH- 31 dx Low motility and morphology
TTC #1 for 4 years

IUI 1: Femara 5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 9 million post wash BFN
IUI 2: Femara 7.5 mg, ovidrel, 1 mature follicle/ 13 million post wash BFN
IUI 3: Femara 7.5 mg, Follistim 75iu 5-9, 3 mature follicles/ 25 million post wash BFN
IUI 4: Femara 7.5 mg, Gonal F, Poor response, cancelled.

IVF: July 2016
FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Anyone starting a round of Femara in March?

Postby mtw878 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:56 am

Hi there! I have done 4 rounds of femara with timed intercourse and 2 rounds of femara + ovidrel + IUI. This past cycle I did 7.5 mg of femara so my dr said I will do one more round of that and if it doesn't work she will have me try clomid since I've never tried it. She wants me to do that before we move on to injectibles since they are so expensive and our insurance doesn't cover any of this.

Is your insurance covering IVF? If so that is awesome.
mtw878

Postby FutureBabyBee » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:07 am

I'm sorry none of your treatment cycles have been successful so far. I know it's discouraging. I have never tried clomid either but I have lining issues so when my RE suggested we try clomid I declined. Injectables are expensive but doing the combo cycle like we did helped the cost. It unfortunately wasn't successful for us but I did have my best response from the Femara + Follistim! I wish that my insurance covered IVF :( The way it's set up, for some coverage with monitoring (u/s and labs) during IVF, we have to do the unassisted route first. My RE gave me some applications for discount med programs, first steps and compassionate care. I hope you don't have to move on to injects but that may help the cost!
TTC #1 for 4 years

IUI 3: Femara 7.5 mg, Follistim 75iu 5-9, 3 mature follicles/ 25 million post wash BFN

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:50 pm

I'm starting my first round ever of Femara in a few days! Just now waiting for the provera to work and start my cycle so i can take my Femara cd4-8. Have you already started? :D
My Ovulation Chart

Me (Lisa): 28 (PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Right Laproscopic Salpingectomy)
DH (Brian): 27 (no issues)
7/19/15: 6wk3d Angel Baby (ectopic) :angel:
TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:51 pm

Yay, cycle buddies!! I have not started yet because my PCOS decided I was going to miss AF so I have to wait until CD 35 to call for bloodwork so I can get provera and get the ball rolling!
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:42 am

Cycle buddies!!!! I know how it goes waiting for AF, i had to have provera start my last two cycles...49 days for one and 70 for the other! AF just stared today so i should have my Femara cd4-8 and hopefully preggo these eggos! I'll keep my fingers crossed for yours to hurry along! I noticed in your siggy that you have pcos and hypothyroid too! Finally someone who has similar issues to me :D
My Ovulation Chart

TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:28 am

Yes, I have the lovely dynamic duo lol It's nice to also find someone who deals with both! My AF surprised me and arrived on her own, in full force. So I had my baseline ultrasound and I start femara 7.5 mg tonight (CD 3-7). I have a follicle scan and bloodwork on CD 11! What's the update on you, has AF arrived yet? I hope we both get our BFPs this month!!
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:51 am

Oh yay!! We're closer in cycles than I thought! Congrats on the witch coming early so you can get this show on the road! I'm on 2.5 femara cd 4-8 and I'm on cd5 right now. AF is just ending for me and I have a u/s on cd13 and if the follies are big enough I get the trigger. This is my first round so I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, but fingers crossed it definitely does the trick for you! 7.5 sounds like alot! I'm only on 2.5 and I'm getting dizziness and a few hot flashes :(
My Ovulation Chart

TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:12 am

Oh wow, yes we are! Awesome! To be honest with you, I'm not putting all my eggs in this basket (pun intended) because it is kind of in the back of our minds that we'll be doing IVF this summer. With that said though there is always that ray of hope! I know it will happen in his time. I have taken femara before alone and in conjunction with injectable meds. My response has never been stellar but I've been ovulating aside from our last femara/gonal-f cycle which was cancelled because I had poor response :(. I started at 5 mg one time and was then bumped up so I guess I started a little higher. It gives me headaches and hot flashes, sometimes makes me feel emotional but I suppose that is nothing in comparison to the clomid horror stories I've heard. I will be keeping both of us in my prayers this cycle! I'm so glad I have a buddy!
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 10:04 am

Well keep your chin up, dear! It will happen when it's meant to happen and you'll cherish the little nugget so much more than if it were easy. Our very first pregnancy turned out to be ectopic and I lost my tube and the baby, so I'm having a rough go of it over here too. It's really nice to have a cycle buddy that understands the struggle. Especially when everyone and their sister is getting knocked up around me by blinking! My doctor put me straight on the femara so I didn't get the dubious pleasure of clomid first, she said that it has a better success rate with pcos patients. FX that our follies grow big and strong and BFPs are just around the corner, Christmas babies ftw!!!!
My Ovulation Chart

TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:20 pm

I am so very sorry for your loss. I am finally on my desktop and I can see your siggy- I couldn't before. I definitely can relate to the struggle of everyone and their mother being pregnant! My best friend is 17 weeks pregnant with her first and although I am overjoyed for them my heart breaks for myself and my husband. I know our time will come, as will your rainbow baby. I believe it wholeheartedly! My RE said the same, I was put on Femara from the get-go and had the option to try clomid after the first couple cycles but since I've already had lining issues I opted to stick with Femara. I've been drinking red raspberry leaf tea in hopes of having a better lining this go round, and I think that helped with my natural AF. TMI but I never get heavy periods and this one came in like a wrecking ball lol. Don't judge me but I googled what my due date would be if this cycle worked. Dec 19th in case you were curious haha :)
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:08 pm

I know EXACTLY how you feel about your best friend! My younger sister is a teen mom with no baby daddy in the picture and here me and my hubs are over here having this difficulty! I try not to get too upset, it won't do anyone any good and we'll all just come out of this stronger for it. I've been drinking the red raspberry leaf tea too! I d r ink that one for the fertility benefits and also green tea to help with EWCM since I don't seem to produce much ob my own. I also use preseed for this reason as well. I was on BCP for over a decade to control my PCOS so my periods were neat and tidy and short...now they are horrible! And trust me, you'll get no judgements from my corner, I have been spending way too much time Googling EVERYTHING. Are you going to be monitored this cycle? What's your game plan?
My Ovulation Chart

TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:48 pm

Wow, my younger sister was a teen mom too so it seems we have a lot in common! It hurt at first knowing that I couldn't give my parents their first grandchild, but my nephew is my little love. He will be 4 this year, which is another subtle reminder of how long we've been at this TTC game. :doh: I try to keep the same mindset as you; remain positive and know our time will come. There are good days and bad days, I totally understand. I have been off BCP since 2010 so we were technically NTNP. We got married in 2012 and started actively TTC that summer although I knew I had PCOS at that point so it made things difficult as you already know. My big thing has been trying to lose weight. What a pain in my butt! I have managed to lose 5 lbs but I've been eating healthier and trying to exercise more for about 6 months. I'm still at it! My cycles have been way out of wack off medications, like every 22 days a very spotty "bleed." Have you tried Ovasitol? My RE has had me on it for about 4 months now. It is supposed to have the same effects as metformin basically but naturally. I tried metformin and I refuse to go back on it :shock: I don't make EWCM so we use preseed also. I'm also going to be using soft cups after every BD around ovulation. For this cycle the game plan is baseline U/S which I had yesterday. Lining was at 4.9 but it was CD 2 so even though it was a little thick the nurse said that was okay. Take Letrozole/femara CD3-7, go in CD 11 for follicle scan and e2 bloodwork. Then the doctor decides on either waiting to trigger, coming back, or triggering that day. I use ovidrel. Then as the RE's office calls it, 'relations' night of trigger and the following 3 nights. I told hubs we were BD the two nights before trigger as well lol
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Novareon » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:43 pm

Oh wow this is getting spooky! My nephew just turned four! My husband and I got married December 2014 just before he deployed for 5 months. I went off BCP the month before he came back and we got pregnant that first cycle before i even had a period. That's also the cycle i had the ectopic which took both methotrexate and a tube removal to treat in mid July 2015. My doctor was going to make us wait a year to before medical intervention, but i havent ovulated since october 2015 and me and my husband are being restationed to Japan for 4 years in May, so the clock is ticking to get this taken care of before we go! I made sure the doctor was aware of that and she agreed to go ahead and start everything so that a plan would be in place to carry forwards in Japan if we didnt get pregnant before then.

I've never heard of Ovasitol...is that like Pregnitude (Myo-Inositol)? My current regimen is Femara (2.5 mg cd4-8), Synthroid (75mcg), Fish Oil, Rainbow Light Prenatal, Pregnitude, Red Raspberry Leaf Tea, Green Tea, and Preseed. Ive heard of soft cups, but they kinda creep me out, but i do keep my hips elevated for 10 minutes after BD. We try to BD every other day throughout the first half of my cycle until O is confirmed, the military doesnt pay for IUI or IVF, so it's the old fashioned way for better or worse! The trigger im going to use is called Pregnyl i think, it's hcg. Our OB told us to take the femara cd 4-8, come in for the follicle scan cd13, if they look good we'll use the shot and then in her words 'have sex like rabbits for three days' then go back in on 7dpo for the blood work to make sure i ovulated. She tried to tell me to come in for blood work on cd21, but i dont even ovulate until cd 21 sometimes, so what would the point of the blood work be then?! I showed her my charts and she agreed we'd discuss it further when ovulation was detected.

That sounds like good news about your lining, it's probably still just a bit thick from left over AF. Hopefully it thins down and then thickens right back up for a cushy home for a future nugget! On a side note, do you have your hubby on anything for his side of things? Ive heard there's special vitamins for guys who need a bit of a boost in that area and every little bit helps!
My Ovulation Chart

TTC Rainbow Baby!
Novareon
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby FutureBabyBee » Wed Mar 16, 2016 5:46 pm

That is spooky! Oh wow, the time frame you're on probably creates added pressure. That is a hard spot to be in. Yes, Ovasitol is very comparable to pregnitude! Aside from that I drink the RRLT, take Synthroid 125mcg, a prenatal, Vit D 2000iu, Fish oil, cinnamon, B-Complex, and CoQ10. Your protocol is very similar to mine and it sounds good My RE told me that if the SA comes back normal there is only a slight margin of more success with IUI. We went to another highly recommended RE who told us my DH's numbers were fine to conceive on our own; it was mainly my lack of ovulation. So that was confusing but were doing these TI cycles so that we can get monitoring coverage for IVF. If we have to go forward with that route. Im hoping it thins out and a nice plump lining takes place. I was very frustrated tonight because my RE's office called in the wrong dose of femara and I had no choice but to take it tonight. So i'll be doing 5 mg this cycle. Yay. I have my hubby on conception xr as well as motility boost fertilaid vitamins. It's like pulling teeth to get him to remember his vitamins. He works out of town often and he is constantly forgetting them :doh: Lately he has been doing better though I will give him that. I try to get him to drink a lot of water and not take scorching hot showers.
TTC #1 for 4 years

FutureBabyBee
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to Clomid and Femara