So overwhelmed

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

So overwhelmed

Postby Caymiane » Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:44 am

Hello. I'm new here and really needing to find someone who understands what I'm going through. We've been ttc for 11 months. My dr put me on clomid,estradiol and prometrium 3 months ago. My insurance doesn't cover infertility treatments so I'm not being monitored. She believes I wasn't ovulating. This cycle I added opks and did get a positive. I've been temping since May and everyone shows ovulation.
Every month I get pregnancy symptoms and every month they seem to get stronger. Always a bfn though. My so is taking meds that I'm convinced are the problem but he hasn't been tested. I have two children already one with him but she is ten so it's been a while. We decided a year ago to try again. I'm beginning to feel like this is pointless. The side effects from the meds are crazy. I've gained a ton of weight in the last three months after working hard to lose 30 lbs. the exhaustion is something that can't be explained. Then there's the cramps,hot flashes, headaches and mood swings. I don't even know if these meds are working. I'm so over whelmed. Oh yea, now my rt breast leaks a little at different points in my cycle. Im ready to give up. I'm spotting and cramping so I know AF is on her way so we will begin cycle 4. How long did I take you on clomid?
Caymiane

Re: So overwhelmed

Postby orangecat » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:02 am

Hi Caymiane
I have no answer to how long it takes cause I'm still trying:(
But...I wouldn't go ahead and keep on taking fertility drugs until your SO gets a Semen Analysis and you get your tubes checked. I'm shocked and disappointed at how many doctors prescribe Clomid as a "miracle cure" without doing their due diligence and having everything checked beforehand. If you are O but your tubes are blocked or your SO has sperm issues no amount of fertility drugs are going to help you.
Clomid also has a tendency to create cysts and thin lining both things that will inhibit TTC (both happened to me the one cycle I took it. I've sinced switched to Letrazole)....having ultrasounds are the only way of knowing what is truly going on inside our bodies. Also they don't reccomend Clomid for more than 6 times total.
I would definitely stop taking it until you fully know what is going on with you and your SO.
GL with your journey.
It isn't easy. Trust me:) There are lots of other women on here who know a lot about this TTC journey and I hope you find some support.
xx
Me 37
DH 39
"Unexplained Infertility" diagnosis Feb 2014
IUI- planned for May 2014
Surprise BFP April 18/2014 while waiting for IUI!
Natural miscarriage April 29/2014 - 6 weeks
IUI #1 50mg Clomid and 24 mil sperm July 4/2014= BFN
IUI #2 letrazole 2.5mg Aug= CANCELLED due to cyst and midcycle bleed
IUI #2 letrazole 2.5mg Oct 7/2014= BFN
2015 NOTHING
2016 New RE gives us hope
April 19/16 Ectopic Pregnancy while waiting to begin IUI again
Right tube removed
DH 3% Morphology
ME AMH 4.4PMOL (British scale)
"I may not be there yet. But I am closer than I was yesterday."
orangecat
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Re: So overwhelmed

Postby B Michaelson » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:49 am

I totally agree with orange on all of this. We were offered clomid by our OB as well but I declined since I felt we needed a little more time on our own first. Knowing the risks of clomid I wanted to use it only after we had some tests done and tried a few more months.

I too feel that it's handed out too easily as a quick fix for a lot of people and I really wish they would monitor everyone on it.

I also think it's worth getting some testing done since you don't really know what's else might be going on. For example if your tubes are blocked no amount of clomid is going to help. Or it could be something simple that could be helped without clomid. Both you and your SO should get preliminary tests at the very least (blood work, semen analysis, etc...).

Good luck!
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical