Clomid newbie

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Clomid newbie

Postby B Michaelson » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:56 am

Ok so it looks like I'll probably have to start using clomid. We were offered it with our first but I declined and we got lucky. Not so much this time.

I know a little about clomid and I'll do some research but I don't even know where to start. I don't know what I would even need to know.

I'm a bit nervous about the hormone changes and chances of multiples. I still nurse my son and I don't have issues ovulating. I have heard it can thin your lining but will have to read more on this.

Due to hypermobility, I don't think I could handle twins, but I also can't find any stats on how likely multiples are if you only have one tube, so maybe it's not a big concern?

I'm also guessing I would be unmonitored. This also worries me a little.

What info should I be looking into here?
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Clomid newbie

Postby KittyKat414 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:32 pm

Hi there!!

I'm on Femara (3rd round) and it works similar to clomid but it doesn't have as many side effects and is less likely to thin your lining.

I also O on my own and am unmonitored. I haven't had any issues at all. I am on the lowest dose (2.5mg) and my GYN will likely not increase my dose so I'm comfortable being unmonitored.

I discussed with my doctor the chance of multiples, I have Cerebral Palsy and use a wheelchair so I needed to know what the risks were too. He said femara had a lower chance of multiples and given the fact I'm older,(36) LOL he wasn't concerned.

Although I am not missing a tube, my left tube is blocked but he didn't say how/if that would affect weather or not I have multiples. I don't think it's a concern though because that was my biggest fear and I made that very clear.

As far as side effects, the Femara definitely gives me hot flashes, headaches, and I was quite moody this cycle. If the side effect of Clomid are too much for some, they tend to switch to Femara and have an easier time. So maybe that's an option depending on how you do?

I know Femara is slightly different but I hope it kinda answered some of your questions.

I know its a little scary, but I think you'll be okay. I was terrified but I seem to be responding well.

Good luck to you! I look forward to seeing your BFP soon!
(Me)Kat 37
(DH) 35
TTC on and off for 7 long years
DH=Perfect in every way
Dx: Mild PCOS
Metformin 1000mg
HSG: 11/08/16 shows left tube may be blocked
6 Femara cycles = :bfn:
NTNP and Praying for a miracle

My Ovulation Chart

KittyKat414
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby B Michaelson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 am

Thanks Kat! I'm planning on discussing with my gp first since I haven't seen my OBG since early 2015 when my son was born and I'm not sure if I need a referral to see her anymore. I doubt he will know much about clomid or Femera.

It's good to know Femera is an option. I'll do a bit more research on that too.
Me - 36
Hashimotos, JHS/EDS, ANA negative, 1 Fallopian tube
DH - 41
TTC #1 Aug 2012 - May 2014
DS - Born Jan 2015
TTC #2 since Aug 2016
May 2017 :bfp:

:angel: Our Angels :angel:
2004 - 7.5 weeks
Oct 2013 - 6w6d ruptured ectopic
Jan 2014 - Chemical

B Michaelson
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby sonamgupta2107 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:16 am

Hi dear. I am happy that you are seeking answers in such a renowned forum and I am sure you will get perfect answers. I am going to tell you my experience. My first Clomid cycle was a dream - I ovulated day 16 & got pregnant, though sadly miscarried. Then I had 3 which just didn't make me ovulate at all, and no-one can explain why. My last cycle I did ovulate but also started spotting quite early - 8dpo - and my luteal phase was only 11 days. Our consultant at the fertility clinic wasn't concerned, but based on my experience, yes, it can give you a shorter luteal phase (mind you, I don't ovulate at all on my own so I don't actually know how long my 'natural' luteal phase is). Anyone who wants to use Clomid must consult a good fertility clinic and I will suggest Lotus Clinic in Ukraine as they are the best. Best of luck for upcoming motherhood to all the pregnant woman in advance. Be safe and stay blessed.
sonamgupta2107
Friend

Return to Clomid and Femara