Follicle ultrasounds - a lubrication question

Adding Clomid or Femara to your cycle? Find some friends here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Follicle ultrasounds - a lubrication question

Postby Vault101 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:04 am

I was reading the leaflet from the pre-seed box the other day, and after the bit about 'this is the first FDA approved sperm-friendly lubricant' it said something very interesting about 'this can be used for clinical applications'.

Which got me thinking - what actually is it they use on the ultrasound probe during follicle tracking appointments? Is this pre-seed, or some clinical version of it? Or more likely, is it just standard-issue hospital gel for general use - potentially containing alcohol and other chemicals, which could perhaps be quite drying to your insides...? They say Clomid dries up your cm - but could it be the regular insertion of medical-grade lube that actually does this? Haha... I guess it's sperm-safe stuff, but I don't know this to be the case. Never thought to ask - you don't, do you? Enough going on at these appointments without wondering about the gel stuff. But now I'm curious.

Anyone know what it is they use? Hell, if it's cheaper than preseed and essentially the same, might track me some of that stuff down...(!) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Me 31, DH 32
TTC #1 - 4.5 years and counting, never been PG
2017 - learned I don't ovulate (big surprise as regular 27/28 day cycle always)
2018 - finally starting Clomid!! :o
Vault101
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Follicle ultrasounds - a lubrication question

Postby Danaa » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 am

I think the doctors use something meant just for hospital use,I’m not sure about the ingredients but is definitely not preesed what my doctor uses or any of the ones I saw but I’m in Europe.I think preseed might be too expensive for the doctors to use daily on their patients.you could definitely ask next time if the gel they use can mess up ur vagina lol.
Good question!!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a very early loss,chemical pregnancy.
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 MMC at the 10 weeks ultrasound.
FET#4 2018
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: Follicle ultrasounds - a lubrication question

Postby Hopefulrosey » Thu Mar 15, 2018 3:38 am

I do not think they use Preseed because they don't need just a lube for insertion. They need a medium that helps with US transmission. I believe that use a special US gel which makes insertion easier as well allows US imaging. US gels are believed to be quite safe, or else they wont be using it on pregnant ladies ;)

For it being sperm-friendly, there are studies which show that US gel can slow down sperms but the studies practically made sperms dive in the gel. I do not think this happens with most of us during US. They just use a little bit ;) I won't worry about the gel unless I am asked to dtd immediately after US. Our ladybits are good at expelling unwanted stuff out.
TTC#1 since Feb 2016
Me: Rosey, 33, mild endo
DH: 32, 4 SAs. varies between normal to MFI :doh:
IUI #1 Sep'17 - BFN and ended up with 2x 20mm+ cysts
IUI #2 Nov'17 - cancelled. O'd spontaneously on CD10 before trigger
IUI #3 Dec'17 BFN... moving on to IVF in 2018
IVF #1 - ER (16 follies,14 eggs, 7 mature, 3 fertilised), 3d transfer of 3 embies (only 1x 8 cell, 2x 4 cell), no frosties, BFN
Lap Mar'18 - Dx mild endo
IVF #2 - Jul'18 - ER (10 eggs, 5 mature, 5 fertilised), 5d transfer of 2 expanding blasts, 1x frozen, BFN
Hopefulrosey
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Return to Clomid and Femara