Can anyone interpret these blood work results?

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Can anyone interpret these blood work results?

Postby SimoneTTC » Sat May 26, 2012 10:00 am

Hi there - I grew some facial hair (eww I know) a few months ago this year so rushed to the DR. to see if I had any signs of PCOS. It turns out that I don't (according these blood results).

Can anyone look at these and see if all of these numbers look normal? I was CD7 of a 34 day cycle when the blood was drawn.

Serum follicle stimulating hormone level (XM01x) 5.4 iu/L - FSHCOM
Female FSH Reference Range.
Follicular phase 0.5 - 5 IU/L.
Mid Cycle 8-15 IU/L.
Luteal Phase <8 IU/L.
Post Meopausal >30 IU/L

Serum LH Level (XM01v) 2.0 iu/L - LHC
Female LH Reference Range
Follicular phase 3-12 IU/L
Mid Cycle 2-80 IU/L
Luteal phase 3-16 IU/L
Post Menopausal >30 IU/L

Serum Oestradiol Level (4465) 122.0pmol/L - E2C
Females
Female follicular phase 90-716 pmol/L
Luteal phase - 147-958 pmol/L
pre ovulatory phase 243-1509 pmol/L
post menopausal 37-145 pmol/L

Serum testosterone level (XE2dr)= 0.8 nmol/L (0.2-2.9)

Do these results look all normal? I presume I was in the follicular phase of this cycle. Is "oestradiol" estrogen or is that not linked in anyway and they just sound alike. Are these results satisfactory for someone TTC?

I can kick myself for not obtaining an appointment to have these explained to me - they just said that "my bloodwork results were not compatible with request" which they told me meant "my bloodwork results were not compatible with someone who has PCOS" and not to worry.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.
SimoneTTC

Re: Can anyone interpret these blood work results?

Postby Ravyndancer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 am

SimoneTTC wrote:Hi there - I grew some facial hair (eww I know) a few months ago this year so rushed to the DR. to see if I had any signs of PCOS. It turns out that I don't (according these blood results).

Can anyone look at these and see if all of these numbers look normal? I was CD7 of a 34 day cycle when the blood was drawn.

Mid Cycle 8-15 IU/L.
Luteal Phase <8 IU/L.
Post Meopausal >30 IU/L

Mid Cycle 2-80 IU/L
Luteal phase 3-16 IU/L
Post Menopausal >30 IU/L

Serum Oestradiol Level (4465) 122.0pmol/L - E2C
Females
Female follicular phase 90-716 pmol/L
Luteal phase - 147-958 pmol/L
pre ovulatory phase 243-1509 pmol/L
post menopausal 37-145 pmol/L

Serum testosterone level (XE2dr)= 0.8 nmol/L (0.2-2.9)

Do these results look all normal? I presume I was in the follicular phase of this cycle. Is "oestradiol" estrogen or is that not linked in anyway and they just sound alike. Are these results satisfactory for someone TTC?

I can kick myself for not obtaining an appointment to have these explained to me - they just said that "my bloodwork results were not compatible with request" which they told me meant "my bloodwork results were not compatible with someone who has PCOS" and not to worry.

Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

Yep, you were in the follicular phase of your cycle.
The test shows your results and then what the lab's expected normal levels are for the different phases of your cycle.

Your level looks like you're 0.4 iu/L higher than the expected range (0.5 - 5)

Your level looks to be lower than the expected range. LH = luteinizing hormone is important for fertility so I would ask the doctor to explain why these results are outside of the expected range.

The other 2 results were in the normal range.

I would definitely ask for a follow up for descriptions of the first two results though. Good luck! You have a right to know and understand your test results. Just because they didn't indicate PCOS, doesn't mean that you can't learn something else that you can do to help improve your fertility :)
Me: 39 multinodular goitre, completed 3 cycles of heavy metal detox, HSG Sept 20/12 - R tube open, L was slightly blocked, cleared during procedure, exploratory lap Feb 25/13 found mild endo (2 spots) removed and tubes flushed.
DH: 40 (healthy SA!)
TTC #1 since June 2011
Clomid cycle #1 100 mg CD3-7 April 2013 = BFN
Clomid cycle #2 100 mg CD3-7 May 2013 = didn't BD during fertile window = BFN
June 2013 - 2 years TTC. I give up. No more Clomid, no more temping, no more OPKs. Distraught :(
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SimoneTTC » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:21 pm

Thanks very much for that. That would probably explain why I never get a blazing opk (even though I am temping and ff confirms o) I have been kind of sceptical.

I am going for cd 21 progesterone blood draw this month and I am taking SI days 3-7 to see if that helps get a blazing opk.

Ugh this is all do hard!
SimoneTTC

Postby Adorabella » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:22 am

Are you taking any supplements? I was advised by my RE to take DHEA and also started growing facial hair, too. Nothing major but it was definitely there.
Adorabella
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby tiffanynp » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:18 am

I agree with Ravydancer. I think the concern (if any) with our age might be the barely higher then normal FSH. But, honestly your bloodwork looks pretty great for ttc to me.

I have been told that chin facial hair is always hormonal.

I do hope you get some answers soon and a pos OPK!

Fitblonde (she is VERY knowledgeable about this stuff) did just tell me this morning that as we age our LH gets shorter and shorter.
Me, Tiffany: 40. DH: 43. DD: 17mo's.
TTC#2 since June 2012.
Cycle #1: Chemical bfp June 2012 :(.
Cycle #4: Clomid 100mg cd3-7 Angel baby @ 9w1d on Nov 18, 2012 :(.
Cycle#5: Clomid 100mg cd3-7; BFN.
Cycle#6: Femara 5mg cd3-7; Angel baby#2 @ 5w4d on March 3, 2013 :(.
DIAGNOSED with MTHFR by RE on 4/8/13 as possible cause of mc...FX next preg is take home baby!!!
Cycle#7: Femara 5mg cd3-7, Ovaboost, Aspirin, and Foligard; BFP!!!!!!! :)
DD conceived on first cycle of Clomid 100mg after 3cycles BFN on Clomid 50mg.
tiffanynp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC in our 40s