What would you do?

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

What would you do?

Postby AmandaAnthony » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:20 am

I have been a member of this board for a number of years.
I conceived my son at 39, delivered at 40. (my 4th child, 6th pregnancy). I had severe pre-E and delivered via C-sect at 36weeks.Im now almost 42.
I had an ectopic and 1 tube removed many years ago.
I have been on no BC since the birth of my son Jan 11. My cycles are very consistently 24-26 days. BBT Chart shows O on ave CD11. (CD9-12). This is about the same as before I had my son. But are they too short?
Obviously Im working with 1 tube and 1 Ovary, so my odds are already diminished.
Most cycles we BD on or near O regularly.
I am a few pounds overweight, but not horrible.
Im not sure if I want to go the medicated route. But I would like to hear what worked? Before I go in and talk to a RE. I would like to be better informed with my options.
Ive heard good and bad things about Clomid.
Any advice/comments would be appreciated. :)
Amanda (45)~ Anthony (47)
DS~ 28
DD~ 20
DD~ 17
DS~ 5
twin ectopic- 1999- right tube removed
dec 25, 2009- angel 12 weeks
feb 14, 2013- angel 7 weeks
november 15, 2013- angel 6.5 weeks
Feb 2014- 5w loss-chemical
May 2016- 6w loss
AmandaAnthony

Re: What would you do?

Postby Bristol » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:03 pm

I am just 2 months shy of turning 42 and I had my daughter who is 22 months old when I was 39. I got pregnant with her taking Femera/Follistim and IUI. Since her birth I have been pregnant twice on my own but miscarried both at about 10 weeks. I did do one cycle with clomid and it was actually my clomid challenge test. I had great response with 3 mature eggs but my lining was thin. I was told it should be thick enough by the time I had my IUI. However, I can tell you that my AF that month was barely anything. So, I doubt my lining was sufficient enough for implantation. I also got a cyst after that and had to skip a month. The following cycle I did the femera and follistim and got pregnant. My lining was very good as it did not thin it at all. So, for me clomid did not work well. However, it is much cheaper so since I had a good response then I thought I might take it with some estrace to increase my lining. My OB agreed to do three months of unmonitored cycles which I can afford. So I am seriously considering doing it. If you decide to then please post your results because I am really interested how it works for you. Good Luck!
Bristol
Friend

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:49 am

I had my DS 1 month shy of my 40th birthday via Letrazole and IUI. However, since than I have had 2 IUI's and MC then 6 IUI's (with Meopur, Puregon, Letraole and Prometrium) and nothing. My RE will no longer treat me and said my next option is donor eggs or adoption! Ummm no ...... So I went to a Fertility Naturopath as my last resort. Although I have only been with her for a little over a month (2nd cycle however first has horid as I didn' get a +OPK) I am sticking with it. She advised fertility treatments rarely work for women over 40 (unless it is donor eggs of course) .... now there are always exceptions to the rule but I have been on this forum since March 2012 and out of the 12-15 frequest posters I have seen 6 BFP over 40 mostly au natural (with supplements no RE).

I am not trying to sway you either way, you know what is best for you. No doubt going natural takes a lot longer and may in the end not work. I spent over $13,500 in the last year on fertility treatments and that didn't work either. You have to do your homework, feel comfortable (very important to decrease stress) and realistically look at which path you want to take.
Me 42 in September 2012 ~DH 35 in June 2012 ~DS 2 in July 2012
Angel #1 March 2008 6 weeks 6 days
Angel # 2 May 2011 6 weeks 2 days
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kewpidolll » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:09 pm

I am 45...called RE office for appointment. I have regular AF each month, FSH 6.3 month ago before tubal reversal, +opk week ago. I just wanted labs for peace of mind like progesterone and estrogen. Girl who answered phone said " at your age donor eggs only option". I'm not happy. I don't know what to do. I don't want meds yet. I'm older yes but dang.
ME & DH Over 40 Club

3 failed iuis
All natural until decide on ivf
kewpidolll
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:22 am

Kewpidoll, I know that is so hard to hear ... I cried for 3 straight days and actually did not O last month after the news (due to emotional distraught and stress). See another RE, your FSH is amazing for 45 my gosh most 35 year olds would be envious of that FSH! From the advice I got on these boards.. some RE's just see an age not a patient (like mine). I mean our diagnosis was unexplained fertility and only inital bloodwork was done, sonohysterogram, later AMH test but that is it! My Fertility Naturopath has asked more questions about my overall health and wellbeing than my RE ever has. My fertility Naturopath also wanted to see all RE tests, BBT charts, is sending my for a full Thryoid test and I had to answer 10 full pages of questions anything from how well I sleep to if I tend to be cold or hot all the time.

Sorry I'm rambling ... my advice get a second option from a different RE. At least talk to the RE not the girl answering the phone.
Me 42 in September 2012 ~DH 35 in June 2012 ~DS 2 in July 2012
Angel #1 March 2008 6 weeks 6 days
Angel # 2 May 2011 6 weeks 2 days
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AmandaAnthony » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:59 am

Thank you for your responses. I am a little leery of messing with my hormones, thats why I wanted the opinions. And even natural supplements you hear differing opinions on. Im mainly worried about shorter cycles and a thinner lining. I Od on CD9 this cycle, which is early, even for me. Currently 8DPO.
Amanda (45)~ Anthony (47)
DS~ 28
DD~ 20
DD~ 17
DS~ 5
twin ectopic- 1999- right tube removed
dec 25, 2009- angel 12 weeks
feb 14, 2013- angel 7 weeks
november 15, 2013- angel 6.5 weeks
Feb 2014- 5w loss-chemical
May 2016- 6w loss
AmandaAnthony

Postby kewpidolll » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks TT...appreciate the responses. I am going to look into the naturopath. Not sure if any available locally. DH says I need to relax and wait since we just had reversal done end of Sept. We have started the supplements about 2 months ago...again, time is needed. I was just shocked she would blurt that at me without knowing anything about us BUT my age. :(

Praying for all of you...you are an inspiration in kindness and understanding.
ME & DH Over 40 Club

3 failed iuis
All natural until decide on ivf
kewpidolll
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Return to TTC in our 40s