Pre Natal Vitamins/Thyroid: Question and FYI

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Pre Natal Vitamins/Thyroid: Question and FYI

Postby Second_Chance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 am

HI Everyone

Happy Monday. Hope you all had a great weekend.

This is a FYI as well as a I need feedback post........... :) I hope I am not all over the place with this post and you can follow what I am asking and saying.

I wanted to check in with you all and get some feedback on pre natal vitamins. I started taking them in July of this year, and did fine with them until about a month ago when I started getting sick every day, lasting almost all day long about 2 hours after taking it. This is the FYI part for those of you with a thyroid condition.....I did make 1 fatal mistake, I was taking it at the same time each morning with the rest of my supps and my synthroid, same as I have always done.... BIG MISTAKE. Some of the stuff in the prenatal (mainly the calcuim and the iron and maybe others) severly effected my synthroid absorption and now my I am having hypo thyroid level issues as a result. (mind you, I have been taking synthroid for 21 yrs and my levels have been great and stable for years and years and I always took it with my multi vitamin). so.... with all this said, last week I stopped taking the pre natal vitamin and I have not had any dizziness or neusea since.

The question I have is:
Has anyone else experienced issues with taking a pre natal? It does seem to be common from what I read online, but is there a alternative out there to taking prenatal vitamins? like children's vitamins, gummy vitamins??? (I do have a call out to my OBGYN to see what else I can do, but I cannot continue to feel sick like I have been, so now I am nervous to try other prenatals for fear of feeling so sick).

FYI- If you have a thyroid issue I know now, you are suppose to take the pre natal 4 hours after you take your synthroid.

Side Note: My Dr has increased my synthroid and is closely monitoring it until I get back to normal and stay there, I already can tell its working, because the exaustion and muscle weakness has improved. I also had mid cycle spotting in October which is another symptom as well.

I am also going to add another post on COQ10 for feebback which is the other supp I was taking and have now stopped because I am not sure if that also was not built up in my system and making me sick.

FUN STUFF....

Aside from that, I am DPO9 and my temps are LOOKING LOVELY only thing is I have not 1 post O symptom this month so I dont know if that is good or bad. I will test on Thursday AM if my temps are still up... I would sure love to be able to tell the ENTIRE both sides of the family on Thanksgiving day some GOOD BABY NEWS.. Say some baby prayers for me. :D
Me: 44 DH: 45
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

June, 2013- AMH level .016 (low) they want it over 1.

June 2013- Antral Follicle Ct- 6 (low) they want it over 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: Pre Natal Vitamins/Thyroid: Question and FYI

Postby JenniHavingFaith » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:50 am

So I never take my supps with my Synthroid and T3 Thyroid meds. I take my thyroid immediately after I temp each morning. Then I wait at least four hours to have any kind of dairy at all: no milk, no cheese, no yogurt (butter is ok). Any form of calcium interferes with the Synthroid. The T3 I'm taking is a natural form of thyroid and has no contraindications for any interference. I am now in the routine of taking the first round of supps after I eat my lunch, the second round after dinner and my last round right before I go to bed AND I make sure I have some milk or toast in my stomach. You really shouldn't take any supps on any empty stomach unless they say so in the directions. Most of my supps require multiple doses per day which is why I'm on three rounds a day. I've been taking supps for over 24 years, esp CalMag since I had a pretty severe Mag deficiency in my early 20's which was causing all kinds of problems for me.

Also, what brand are you taking? I had a terrible experience with Shaklee years ago. They would literally make me throw up within an hour of taking even if I had food in my stomach. I have been using Puritan's Pride for years now, but am switching all my supps to organic and non-GMO as they run out and I need to buy new bottles. My EPO is non-GMO and organic.

Maybe you should go back to the regular multi you were taking and had no issues with? If it doesn't have Folic Acid in it, just get that separately and add it in later to your supp routine.

Hope this helps!
me 43 ~~ dh 44 ~~ Low AMH - .3 ~~ Normal FSH
DSS 6 y.o. ~~ Fur Babies: Fergus my 12 y.o. Westie, Bailey DH 7 y.o. Lab/Beagle
TTC since Oct 2012
1/20/2013 9dpo First HPT
1/29/2013 Beta Test - great range!
2/5/2013 5 weeks HB 100bpm
2/25/2013 8 weeks HB 174bpm
3/28/2013 12 weeks 2 days, HP 115, clear Nuchal Translucency and all genetic test negative.

JenniHavingFaith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Second_Chance » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks Jenni, I was taking Nature Made Pre natal. Agree with everything you said......... I now take my synthroid right after my temp in the AM and then wait 4 hours for any food or anything else. I did speak with my OBGYN nurse this morning and she told me that is perfectly fine for me to take my multi vitamin that I was taking before just also add extra folic acid 800mg, but now I am so nervous about it I think I am going to try the gummy vitamins and add the folic acid in addition. I have just felt so bad for the last month and now I am feeling better day after day that the thought of potentially going back to where I was is UNBAREABLE... even thought really the old vitamin I did fine with. Just gun shy I guess.

Do you BBT by chance? I notice that my temps seem a bit higher this month as well, either its because of the changes I am making now or due to the new thermometer I got last month, which by the way I LOVE. its the CVS brand and I for the 1st time ever feel like its spot on for my temps. :D
Me: 44 DH: 45
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

June, 2013- AMH level .016 (low) they want it over 1.

June 2013- Antral Follicle Ct- 6 (low) they want it over 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby JenniHavingFaith » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:39 pm

Yep! See my chart in my sig. I have the Nexcare BBT that I got from Amazon. :)
me 43 ~~ dh 44 ~~ Low AMH - .3 ~~ Normal FSH
DSS 6 y.o. ~~ Fur Babies: Fergus my 12 y.o. Westie, Bailey DH 7 y.o. Lab/Beagle
TTC since Oct 2012
1/20/2013 9dpo First HPT
1/29/2013 Beta Test - great range!
2/5/2013 5 weeks HB 100bpm
2/25/2013 8 weeks HB 174bpm
3/28/2013 12 weeks 2 days, HP 115, clear Nuchal Translucency and all genetic test negative.

JenniHavingFaith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to TTC in our 40s