Going vegan to conceive and be healthier

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Going vegan to conceive and be healthier

Postby Whisper342 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:05 pm

So I started in Nov. with just a vegetarian diet and have been slowly working towards vegan but the eggs, cheese and butter are hard to cut out.
I am 41 dh is 40 we have 3 kids at home, I have 3 older also, they have lived with their dad most of the time back east so didn't get to raise them. Still we want a big family or at least as many as possible before time runs out.
I was taking supplements for a few months but after a mc in Oct. i stopped Nd did a juice cleanse, I think it helped but then I had a cp last month, so not sure but am feeling healthier.
Hoping this month is our time, ovulating now and dtd every 12 hours. :)
trish and rob soulmates since 1999[url]
My Ovulation Chart
[/url]
Whisper342

Re: Going vegan to conceive and be healthier

Postby JenniHavingFaith » Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:41 am

I don't think going Vegan is going to help you conceive. Our eggs and fertility count on specific types of fats to be healthy and have the energy they need. You can't get everything you need from supplements. In fact, I've read that women that are the most fertile eat a healthy balance of pasture raised red meat, poultry and a nice selection of organic produce along with FULL fat dairy: milk, yogurt, cottage cheese and cheese.

Vegan's and vegetarians also try to substitute soy for protein. Soy can mess up your cycle and is one of most unhealthy forms of proteins since 99% of soy grown in the US is from GMO seed. GMOs are Genetically Modified Organisms made by biotech companies and have pesticide inserted right into the gene of the seed. This is known to cause obesity, autism, diabetes, cancer AND infertility. There are several studies that show direct links from eating GMO filled food to cancer and infertility. Rats who ingested a regular diet of GMO filled food became completely sterile in 3 generations.

If you are committed to going vegan, then find non GMO sources of soy or other proteins. You will also need a good sustainable form of good fat: Omega 6 AND Omega 3. If you are committed to staying vegetarian ten make sure you are eating pasture raised eggs, pastured butter (Kerry Irish Gold is a good one) and either raw milk (from a local farmer) if you can stand it, or full fat regular milk from a local or regional dairy.

Most doctors will NOT recommend a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle for those actively TTC'ing.
me 43 ~~ dh 44 ~~ Low AMH - .3 ~~ Normal FSH
DSS 6 y.o. ~~ Fur Babies: Fergus my 12 y.o. Westie, Bailey DH 7 y.o. Lab/Beagle
TTC since Oct 2012
1/20/2013 9dpo First HPT
1/29/2013 Beta Test - great range!
2/5/2013 5 weeks HB 100bpm
2/25/2013 8 weeks HB 174bpm
3/28/2013 12 weeks 2 days, HP 115, clear Nuchal Translucency and all genetic test negative.

JenniHavingFaith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Whisper342 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:29 pm

I know all about GMO's that's why I gave up wheat, everything you said is in soy is also in wheat, every kind of wheat and flour including whole wheat in fact it is so hard to get non GMO flour that our church has resorted to ordering ancient grains organic wheat berries and grinding their own flour.
The reason I decided to do it was based on the book Eat to Live by Dr. joel Furhman, he is world famous for helping people get healthy, by eating vegan. Everything fresh and raw that we eat restores our cells and rebuild healthy tissue and btw it's working!
I am sure you think you mean well, but support is what I am looking for, not criticism. Thanks!
My Ovulation Chart
[/url]
Whisper342

Postby JenniHavingFaith » Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:21 pm

The first two paragraphs were factual. I was offering information. How could I know what you do and do NOT know based on your post. Rather than say nothing I shared what I know.

I never said wheat wasn't GMO too. Corn, soybeans, wheat, mango, papaya, and some squash are GMO. My main comment regarding soy is that vegetarians do try to replace animal protein with it. I was trying to be helpful. I have a ton of friends that are vegetarian and they try to use soy but since learning about GMO's have had to get more creative about their protein sources. Also, soy is a natural source of estrogen and can screw with fertility if not used properly and in the right amounts. It's not right for every one when TTC.

The last paragraph was supportive. I was not criticizing. Sorry you feel that way.
me 43 ~~ dh 44 ~~ Low AMH - .3 ~~ Normal FSH
DSS 6 y.o. ~~ Fur Babies: Fergus my 12 y.o. Westie, Bailey DH 7 y.o. Lab/Beagle
TTC since Oct 2012
1/20/2013 9dpo First HPT
1/29/2013 Beta Test - great range!
2/5/2013 5 weeks HB 100bpm
2/25/2013 8 weeks HB 174bpm
3/28/2013 12 weeks 2 days, HP 115, clear Nuchal Translucency and all genetic test negative.

JenniHavingFaith
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Whisper342 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:05 pm

No problem, sorry I was so harsh, I am glad for your comment because I actually did some research on gmo's and found some good info. I don't use much soy, but from now on I will look for organic. I eat nuts and seeds and get most of my stuff from the whole foods store so I know its safe.
I gave up wheat too, and now am thinking I should cut out corn since it is mostly all gmo. So hard to find nutritious foods these days. :(
My Ovulation Chart
[/url]
Whisper342

Postby Whisper342 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm

I only want to thank God for what He has done in giving us our BFP this month! Can't get my photo to post, sorry.
My Ovulation Chart
[/url]
Whisper342

Return to TTC in our 40s