PH level and TTC- Light Bulb moment Thanks to Momof2girls

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

PH level and TTC- Light Bulb moment Thanks to Momof2girls

Postby Second_Chance » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:11 am

I wanted to share my thoughts and reseach with you all:

Momof2girls said last week she was sure she got her BFP due to all the lemon water she was drinking.. so that got me to thinking about why is that... so I researched it over the weekend and here is some on what I found, and I wanted to share it with you all.. :)

in essense: your body PH is ever changing and especially as you age.. one of the things talked about when TTC making sure your PH levels are normal and not to acidic. If your body is to acidic you will kill the sperm before they even have a chance to do anything.. and one of the things I read over and over was lemon water helps keep the acidity in your body down. So just wanted to share that with you all. Not sure where I am with that so I purchased some PH test strips over the weekend so I can start testing myself.. They are cheap, 90 count for $9. I got the PHion brand which appears to be the best brand on the market. I have often wondered if I am a acidic person, as I cannot wear fake jewelry because it turns my skin green... :omg: Not saying that was Momof2girls issue, just saying I found that info to be very informative and insightful.. :)
Me: 44 DH: 45
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

June, 2013- AMH level .016 (low) they want it over 1.

June 2013- Antral Follicle Ct- 6 (low) they want it over 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Re: PH level and TTC- Light Bulb moment Thanks to Momof2girl

Postby tiffanynp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:25 am

That is VERY interesting..thanks for sharing!

Okay, so how do you test your ph..is it thru your urine?
KUP on what you find out! I love this type stuff!!
Me, Tiffany: 40. DH: 43. DD: 17mo's.
TTC#2 since June 2012.
Cycle #1: Chemical bfp June 2012 :(.
Cycle #4: Clomid 100mg cd3-7 Angel baby @ 9w1d on Nov 18, 2012 :(.
Cycle#5: Clomid 100mg cd3-7; BFN.
Cycle#6: Femara 5mg cd3-7; Angel baby#2 @ 5w4d on March 3, 2013 :(.
DIAGNOSED with MTHFR by RE on 4/8/13 as possible cause of mc...FX next preg is take home baby!!!
Cycle#7: Femara 5mg cd3-7, Ovaboost, Aspirin, and Foligard; BFP!!!!!!! :)
DD conceived on first cycle of Clomid 100mg after 3cycles BFN on Clomid 50mg.
tiffanynp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby shanessa91 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:28 am

Second - I too have that problem with fake jewelry. Like Tif asked, how does one test and for how long?

I am a lover of lemonade and frequently drink it so I am hoping that has helped me if I was acidic. Never want to hurt the sperm. :omg:
Me 43, DH 47 DS 6
MC – 4/06 (5wks, nat), 7/06 (blight ovum 6wks, d&c), 2/09 (molar 5wks, d&c), 4/10 (nat)
Fibroid surg. – 08/05, 09/06, 08/09
01/07 - BFP! - DS born 10/2007
HSG –12/10 convoluted tubes (adhesions?), left w/ slight hydro; HSG 01/13 -tubes open. Poss convolution/dilation on left
Took ttc break 2011 (new job/loss of father)!
IVF#1, 03/12 – 22 retrieved, 4 trans – BFP: Chem, beta = 4.3
IVF#2, 05/12 – 16 retrieved w/ Lupron, 5 trans – BFP: Chem, beta 6
FET 08/12 - 1 embryo - BFN
03/08/13 - 13DPO - BFP!!
03/13/13 Beta 170, Progesterone 13.51
03/18/13 Beta 1035, Progesterone 12.18

03/29/13 U/S - Saw and heard HB! 118bps
05/31/13 - DS loss at 15 weeks

"For nothing is impossible with God." (Luke 1:37)
shanessa91
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Second_Chance » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:45 am

I have been reseaching that as well.
Here is what I found so far:

the test stripes I got are for urine or saliva and from what I read CM can also be used on it. Once I get the stripes I will read the literature and do some research on how often to do and report back, your PH can be ever changing, I am curious to see where exactly I fall will proably do it a 3-4 times a day and see if I can see a pattern.. and discuss this with my Dr this week when I go Friday on what to look for... Its all so new to me, I have a million questions on it, what would the level need to be to kill sperm, when to test, etc..etc.. etc...

I will report back what I find out.
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby tiffanynp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:30 am

Okay, so this is what I found....

A woman constantly produces cervical fluid (or mucus) throughout her menstrual cycle. Most of the time this mucus is acidic and deadly to sperm. But as she approaches ovulation, the mucus changes and become conductive to sperm and actually assists keeping sperm alive (for up to 3-5 days) until the egg is released maximising her chance of conception.
You can tell the difference as the acidic mucus is white or cream in colour and is sticky. It can also be "rubbery", "tacky" or "bouncy". As she comes into her fertile period the mucus becomes clear and slippery - rather like raw egg white.

That leads me to think that you would need to check your cm and mostly the ewcm around O for ph. Wouldn't you think? Because that is the one we care about right???

Then that leads me to question if you use preseed wonder what the ph is of that and does that make it all null and void??? Hum...wondering minds!
TTC#2 since June 2012.
DIAGNOSED with MTHFR by RE on 4/8/13 as possible cause of mc...FX next preg is take home baby!!!
tiffanynp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby tiffanynp » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:38 am

Found some AWESOME info on preseed...see below...
Changes in cervical fluids (“cervical mucus”) are one of the best indicators of when a woman is fertile. Tracking the quality of cervical fluids can help identify peak fertile days. For women with normal hormone changes at ovulation, the cervical fluids become a higher pH (around 7) and draw in water. This added water attaches to sugars in the cervical fluids, making pathways in the fluids that are normally crisscrossed and jumbled (thus blocking sperm) into straight highways that act as road signs for the sperm to reach the egg.

Tracking EWCM requires analyzing secretions “down there” to look for the slippery, stretchy quality mucus our bodies make when we are ovulating. TTC gals are often using Pre-Seed Personal Lubricant when they are ovulating and producing EWCM. Pre-Seed looks and feels very similar to fertile cervical fluids (including having the same pH and salt concentration). We often get asked how women can tell if the secretions “down under” are their own EWCM or Pre-Seed.

For timing purposes, an easy way to tell is by swiping some of the secretions on your finger and swishing it into a clear glass of water. The healthy EWCM will ball up in the glass of water and sink down to the bottom. Pre-Seed will mix more readily into the water. However, both Pre-Seed and fertile EWCM will mix together during intercourse and both are “sperm-friendly” and an optimal environment for sperm on their journey. In general, if it looks like EWCM, but you applied Pre-Seed 2 hours or more before, count the secretions on your chart as EWCM!

TTC women in our surveys have reported using Pre-Seed lubricant because of inadequate cervical fluids including 35% using Pre-Seed to supplement low quality cervical fluids and 52% using it to supplement too little quantity of cervical fluids. In this survey, a total of 87 women used Pre-Seed lubricant for poor quality fertile fluids with 81% of these women saying it increased their fluid quality and 64% saying it improved their fluid quantity.
TTC#2 since June 2012.
tiffanynp
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Second_Chance » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:43 pm

Great info, and yes I agree, you really only care how the PH is during that "trying period" because I dont want it killing the sperm... intially I will be checking it thru out my cycle so I can see what the changes in PH look like thru out.. then may do a day where I only drink water, then my normal combo, diet coke/ water.. I will keep you posted.
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby momof2girls1017 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Awesome ladies!! Knowledge is powerful!!!

I must have been acidic. Last BFP I credited to EPO.. Which brought about EWCM.

I'm convinced it was the lemon water , every day since my last period jugs of lemon water w pulp, I tried it warm and hated it , but I was able to endure room temp, and for those interested in weight loss it suppresses appetite.

And I bd before smiley face day of then break then again ( legs up after)

I had exact period symptoms bc I wrote them down last month I was sure i wasn't

I was mad that we didn't bd everyday / I was convinced I wasnt!

Xoxo ladies.
Ps both RE and Ob saw sac, Friday RE appt, praying all is well / I'm not hungry or nauseas or extremely tired/ no real symptoms????? Oh well we will c
momof2girls1017
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby 10thtimearound » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:31 am

I have had a successful pg with using Pressed and clomid. .clomid was the reason I used PreSeed as a "just in case of hostile cm" This is very interesting!
Birth/Grief Support Doula, Busy Mom to 9 ttcing #10

5 girls ,4 boys. 22,20,18,( 5 years unexplained infertility) 11,10,8,7,5,2

Nine 1st trimester losses, Two 2nd trimester losses at 17 wks(Pathology came back normal both times) :(
ImageImageImage
My Ovulation Chart
10thtimearound
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby AmyPriscilla » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:21 am

all your post are extra ordinary i really love all those and gpt many useful information from it.
AmyPriscilla

Postby *Apples* » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:12 am

Right that's it! **Runs to fridge to rummage for lemons!** :D
*Apples*
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC in our 40s