supplement help

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

supplement help

Postby momoftreasures » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 am

I am 42 and trying to conceive naturally. I recently added, on cd1, 5 mg of dhea and two fish oil capsules to the rest of my array of pills. My af lasted 4 days of fairly heavy flow, which is normal for me, but then it just stopped as if it was a faucet being turned off. Then two days later I got some dark red spotting, enough to fill a small tampon halfway. That stopped and then the same thing happened the next day which was yesterday, and then a tiny bit this morning on the toilet paper when I wiped. This is scaring me. Anyone have any idea why this is happening? I'm on cd8 now and have been ovulating on cd11 or 12.
Momoftreasures
me 42
dh 39
ds 15
ds 13
ds 11
ds 9
ds 6
ds 4
dd 20 mos
desperately praying for another baby girl but would gladly take another boy. TTC #8 naturally (with every supplement known to man) since Sept. '12
didn't know I could love a girl until I had one!
momoftreasures
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: supplement help

Postby Silverlining » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:03 pm

Hello Momoftreasures, I'm 39, TTC #1 for nearly a year with no luck. I also started on the fish oil capsules two months ago and I've started spotting a few days before and after my period. I have no idea why this is happening but it looks like it's related to the fish oil. The oil's supposed to improve your lining by affecting the prostaglandins or something like that, but just like you this is not the result I expected. However, I'm sticking to the fish oil for 3 more months and see what happens.
Silverlining

Postby momoftreasures » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:32 am

I'm going to stick with them, too. Since my spotting was only after AF I think I'm ok. I certainly don't think the fish oil can hurt. I was worried that it might be the DHEA and I have messed up another good cycle. Your experience has put my mind at ease, though. Thanks!
Momoftreasures
me 42
dh 39
ds 15
ds 13
ds 11
ds 9
ds 6
ds 4
dd 20 mos
desperately praying for another baby girl but would gladly take another boy. TTC #8 naturally (with every supplement known to man) since Sept. '12
momoftreasures
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Peony06 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:41 pm

Hello,
I was intrigued by your question since I've been taking fish oil for quite some time just because I feel better on it but never thought about any potential risk to fertility. I found the following article to put our minds at ease.

http://www.cbn.com/health/naturalhealth ... ility.aspx

Of course, you should still follow your dr's advice, however, fish oil is good for you (make sure is mercury free) pregnant or not.
Good luck!
Our family is now complete!

Peony06
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby momoftreasures » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Great article. Thanks!
Momoftreasures
me 42
dh 39
ds 15
ds 13
ds 11
ds 9
ds 6
ds 4
dd 20 mos
momoftreasures
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Silverlining » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:08 pm

Thanks Peony. I had read a few articles but not as good as this one.
Maybe we need a couple of cycles for our bodies to get used to it. I'm vegetarian, so I assume I would have been totally lacking on the stuff before. Hopefully this is the key to a BFP.
Silverlining

Return to TTC in our 40s