Hi and Accupuncture Question

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Hi and Accupuncture Question

Postby Kathe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

I havent been around for a long time, took a break and now back ttc at 44! Nothing in the last couple of months....was thinking of maybe trying acupuncture. Does anyone have any info good or bad on this? Just wondering if it is worth it. My OBGYN thinks I still have a shot since I still ovulate and everything checks out ok.

To all of you it is possible to have a successful pregnancy in your 40's! And you can still get pregnant after a few attempts at IVF. I got pregnant with my first at 39 after my 3rd IVF attempt and I changed RE's after the 2nd attempt for multiple reasons and it made all the difference. let me know if you want more info on this...sometimes this is just the thing to do. first RE said I had too low AMH to concieve and that my eggs were old...what a a**! Had a beautiful boy in jan 2009 and then had a natural pregnancy, found out on my 41st bday and had another beautiful son, so it does happen and don't let anyone discourage you :mrgreen: Best of Luck Kathe
Kathe

Re: Hi and Accupuncture Question

Postby alinat » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:05 pm

Hi Kathe
Thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement. I have been told that I have low ovarian reserve due to my AMH being low so moving onto IVF. I have been doing acupuncture once a week for the last 8 weeks and I love it. Its great for stress relief and relaxation but I also find that my cycles are much more regular and it has given me a much better lining. Even though my AMH was 2.9 pmol/L my dr said it was quite good for my age and I truly believe this is due to acupuncture and Chinese herbs. I would definitely recommend giving it a go. Good luck!!!
Me:41 (Alison) :love: DH:32 (no children of his own)
DD 19
DD 16
DS 12

TTC since June 2009
TCM and acupuncture for 2 years
:angel: July 2010
:angel: September 2011
:angel: January 2012
:angel: August 2012 - 16w4d - Matthew - Complications due to Trisomy 21
DOR and poor egg quality due to age :(
IVF # 1 :bfn:
IVF#2 :bfn:
IVF#3 :bfn:
Two rounds of prescribed Clomid 50mg - both :bfn:
After 5 years we have finally conceded defeat and given up TTC.
alinat
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Kathe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Hi Alinat, Thanks for the reply and the encouraging words regarding the acupuncture. I definitely think it can't hurt, right....and i always hear such good things. I guess I would want to improve my egg quality through this.

Best of luck with IVF, it is a journey and it can be so wonderful. Sounds like you are in good hands. It will work for you, 40 is a good age to go for it for sure!!!
Kathe

Postby simn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:37 pm

Kathe,
I just completed 3 radiant acupunture sessions with this round of IVF. This is the first time I have combined actupucture with IVF. My doctor lightly recommneds it but didn't put too much emphasis on the process. The acupunture reatment was intersting in that I felt intense energy heat and slight pain all at once in my overian areas. I had lines of red that looked like road map all over my lower abdomen when the treatment was done and the lines stayed with me all day. I know nothing about eastern medicine, but I humbly equate these lines to newly opened paths of circulation, bloodflow, or healing energy. This is my 7th year of trying to conceive with no known reason for infertility. If this session results in a BFP, I would definately have to say there's a strong possibilty the acupunture helped somehow. I will keep you posted. My beta is in days. I certainly don't think the acupuncture treatments could hurt.
simn

Postby Kathe » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:03 pm

Good Luck Simn! I hope this results in your BFP!!
Kathe

Postby Second_Chance » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:00 am

Hi Kathe-

I will add my "negative" spin on accunpuncture... for me if was a VERY BAD experience... I guess its mainly because I didnt really need it to begin with but thought it might help me achieve my BFP.. but instead it has totally thrown my system into chaos.. I now have thyrold issues that they cannot seem to stablize and my estrogen and progesterone are fighting each other... all resulting now in overall hormonal imbalance.. some people will swear by it and it helped them achieve pregnancy but my opinion is you must go into it knowing what your issue is that they need to work on... if you dont it could create other issues...

Just a quick "book if you will" LOL... on what happened with me, I had a stable thyroid for 20 years, been taking synthroid, levels great for 20 years no issues, periods every 28 days, Ovulation around day 14 like clock work, but couldnt get preg. so I went to one session of accupunt. and she took my pulse and said your pulse feels like you are pregnant so I will do a "progesterone" session on you.. well, I was not pregnant and it threw to much progesterone into my system which threw that cycle off, it took me 6 months to get my periods back to a normal 28 day cycle and in the process I then became estrogen dominant which threw my thyroid off and my progesterone down.. I am still not stablized and its been 9 months now.. sometime this month will be seeing a endocronologist to try and everything stablized again..

So my advice is just go into knowing what issue you need them to work on, I personally would not recommend doing it unless you can tell them what area you need improved..

Hope this helps.. I sure wish someone would have told me this prior to me going, I would have probably not done it.

One last note, I went to a HIGHLY recommended fertility accu in my area and this still happened.
Me: 44 DH: 45
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

June, 2013- AMH level .016 (low) they want it over 1.

June 2013- Antral Follicle Ct- 6 (low) they want it over 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Kathe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks Second Chance,

I may need to rethink this as I really don't have a specific issue going into it, except for perhaps "older eggs"...this is really helpful information!
Kathe

Postby Second_Chance » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:45 am

thru all of this with my hormones off my FSH level is now at 17. So I did alot of research on DHEA and started that yesterday or CD#1 for me.. I am taking 25mg 3 times a day. check it out.. someone did a great study with it for egg quality.
Me: 44 DH: 45
TTC #1 since June 2012
DH- Perfect
ME- DOR due to age

March 2013 started taking DHEA 25mg 3 times a day FSH is now 8.5... down from 17.8 from 3 months earlier. They want it well below 10.

June, 2013- AMH level .016 (low) they want it over 1.

June 2013- Antral Follicle Ct- 6 (low) they want it over 10.

My Current Cycle Chart
My Ovulation Chart
|| [url=http;//www.fertilityfriend.com]Ovulation Calendar[/url]
Second_Chance
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Kathe » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:20 pm

I wonder about eggs, they now have ones with added DHEA...hmm, something to look into.
Kathe

Postby Noregrets » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:34 pm

Hi Kathe,

I have done acupuncture in the past for various things and had great success but I never thought about using it to conceive.

Anyway today I had the HSG Femvue done and that too came back normal. So really the only thing we can think of is my poor old eggs considering everything else is fine including DH's SA. Anyway my RE said if we were to try on our own we have 1% of conceiving and that will drop to .5% after I turned 43! If we do IUI with meds then our chances increase to maybe 5%.

This is where I am so confused. If my Estradiol level is 43.7, FSH is 6.1, progesterone 18, tubes are clear, no cysts, no fibroids, perfect 28 days cycle and DH has great counts why is our chances still so low?? Never had problems conceiving before.

So with that said I am going to consult with an Acupuncturist on Friday. The most we will do is IUI with acupuncture but we will never do meds unless they are natural. I am so anxious to give this a try. Hopefully it will help with my egg quality issue and we will be blessed again.
Noregrets
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Noregrets » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:58 pm

In case anyone is curious...

I had an awesome appointment with this new acupuncture doctor last Friday. He spent an hour going over my history, my test results and even my charts (although I only had the two months when I charted before I stopped). I then received 30 minutes of treatment and was sent home w/ some herbal formulas. I responded well to the treatment leaving there completely relaxed and hopeful. After 3 days on the herbal formulas I am feeling pretty good. No side effects to speak off so that's great!

Anyway, I was told that I have bad circulation (I knew that, damage from my Lyme Disease) and I also have weak kidney and liver (damage for long term antibiotics)... as a results lots of stagnant blood in my reproductive organs. Well that explains the dark blood and clots I see during AF. Not only that but my BBT is too high before ovulation. Not optimal for implantation. So essentially he thinks that while we don't have any fertility problems per se (all our tests are normal) my body is hostile which prevents implantation from taking place. Yikes!

I can't wait to go back this Friday for another treatment. Even if it doesn't work fertility wise... I'm soo relaxed and I'm sleeping so well that to me it's so worth it. :D
Noregrets
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Kathe » Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks Noregrets, I am still on the fence on whether to try. I just need to bite the bullet and make a decision!! This info helps.
Kathe

Postby Noregrets » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:39 am

I had my second appointment this past Friday... thanks God I did. I don't know why but I feel so antsy this cycle! So it really helped me stay calm. I am debating of going more than once a week. I really enjoyed my sessions. And this is from someone who is petrified of needles! :shock:
Noregrets
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Angellady » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:29 am

Hi, I just wanted to add to this. I am 27 years old and pg with my 2nd.

My mum met her second husband later on and after a still birth she tried again with no luck and eventually had to have some IVF treatment. Her first go was unsuccessful but her second at the age of 44 was successful and she believes the accupunture she had made a difference. Her consultant said she had more eggs to retrive after her treatment. She had a lovely littlel boy and my brother is now 6 years old.

Good luck to you all.
Angellady

Postby 10thtimearound » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:15 am

I have never done it or even wanted to but very interested in others experience. I just wanted to wish everyone doing it good luck and I hope it is successful!!
Birth/Grief Support Doula, Busy Mom to 9 ttcing #10

5 girls ,4 boys. 22,20,18,( 5 years unexplained infertility) 11,10,8,7,5,2

Nine 1st trimester losses, Two 2nd trimester losses at 17 wks(Pathology came back normal both times) :(
ImageImageImage
My Ovulation Chart
10thtimearound
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Return to TTC in our 40s