41 yrs old, all Bfn's but am "late" and confused

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

41 yrs old, all Bfn's but am "late" and confused

Postby dragnflymomma » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:31 pm

I realize this is long and I hope you will read it and give input. I am going crazy at the moment. :help:

I am 41 yrs young and have always had regular periods with a regular pattern of occurrence. Last month I came a bit early and it was out of the ordinary but got what I think was my period. We are not TTC (well we are but not charting or being super diligent about when) but not preventing. I had a miscarriage in Sept and we prevented up until the first of this year.

Last month I thought I may be pregnant because of the weird early period but tests were BFN. This month, based on the days between my period in Dec to the period in Jan I "should" have started my period on Weds but it is now Sat and nothing.
I did start exercising about 2 weeks ago and not sure if that affects the cycle even though I have always been regular regardless of if I started a new routine or not. I know stress or anxiety is something that can affect your period but usually if I get a negative test I start the next day but this time it isn't happening. Is it just wishful thinking that is causing my period to stay away?

I do not have any real symptoms to speak of other than I have been feeling lightheaded a lot lately on and off for about a week and a half. At first I thought my blood pressure was the cause (I usually have low blood pressure). Then I thought it was my iron levels because I was anemic before but I have been taking prenatals daily that contain 18 mg of iron along with taking hema-plex every so often (was taking it every other day but now am splitting the dose to half). So I don't think it is my iron levels.
I keep having dreams that I am getting my period and I still haven't gotten it.

Have any of you had experience with getting bfn's and then getting a bfp or maybe just having normal (regularly timed) cycles and having them get wacky due to "old age"?...lol

Also, I keep feeling like I am going to start. At times I feel moist/wet (sorry if TMI) and think I have started but it is nothing. I have checked my CM and it is like lotion. I have not been checking my cervix or probing too much for fear of irritating anything but when I did check my CM I felt that my cervix was somewhat soft and could not feel an opening but then again I haven't been checking it regularly so it could always feel like that.

I also can't understand why I am not losing any weight since starting my exercise routine. Usually I have no problems dropping some sort of weight when I exercise regularly and I have been staying the same for 2 weeks. BY now I would have expected to have lost at least 3-4 lbs.

My breasts do not feel tender or sore BUT once in a while, over the past couple days, they have been feeling like they are surging (if that makes sense) and my nipples will feel a bit sensitive for a little bit and it will pass. I have NOT been symptom spotting this month. IN fact I have been trying to talk myself out of anything that seems out of the ordinary just to take the stress off. That is why I am freaking over not getting my period YET! Before I got pregnant last year my cycle lengths were at the MOST 31 days (from the end of Jan to July it was 29, 28, 30, 31, 29 then my BFP). Tomorrow will make day 31. Last month my cycle was 27 days (I have never had that short of a cycle).

It has been 9 yrs today since I had my son and so I do not remember how I felt when I found out with him other than I remember being tired and unable to concentrate (lightheaded).

Last months period was strange so I just don't know what to think. Anyone have any thoughts. I know I should probably just relax and WAIT it out but I just want to know either way so I can move out of this limbo state of guessing. Could not using FMU be the reason I am getting BFN's? I have not been able to do a test in the morning because I have been getting up i the middle of the night to pee or forgetting to test until later in the day.

At this point I would just like to get my period or a positive test so I can stop driving myself and my DH crazy. Thanks for "listening" to me rant... :)
dragnflymomma
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: 41 yrs old, all Bfn's but am "late" and confused

Postby dragnflymomma » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Well....even though no one replied. I am on day 6 of being late. However, it does look like something is happening. I am most likely getting AF late as I started spotting a little while ago. First light brown and then pink but not enough to have to put on a pad or liner (just when I wipe). Oh well....at least I have some sort of answer and can move forward without stress.
dragnflymomma
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby KimberlyB1973 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:20 pm

Hi dragnflymomma!

Just read your post. It could be implantation bleeding maybe? I had it with my daughter and then the next day I tested and I got a BFP. When I had implantation bleeding it was very light and I thought it was my period but then the next day I tested and got a BFP! I was 39 when I conceived my first time. We now have a daughter :)

I am 2 days late right now and I am getting BFN's and I am never late. Not sure if it is old age either LOL. I will be 41 this July and I am a bit worried that I may not get pregnant this time around. We have been trying for about 8 months. With my daughter we were lucky and got pregnant the first time. But now I just can't seem to get pregnant. Not sure if I ran out of time.

Let me know how you make out :)
KimberlyB1973
Friend

Postby Show Me the Baby! » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:30 am

dragonflymomma - hi there. This end of the board isn't terribly busy it seems, so sorry you did not get an earlier reply. How did things pan out? Did she arrive?
Show Me the Baby!
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby dragnflymomma » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:06 am

Sorry I haven't been on here. AF did come and so I am still TTC. This month has been a strange one because for the first time in my life my period was short and did not have any large clots (sorry if TMI). I was supposed to start on the 11th, at the very earliest, and the 22nd at the very latest but started spotting on Thursday (the 10th) and really didn't have any flow until Friday morning. Friday and Saturday I had flow (medium and not as heavy as I am used to) and then Sunday morning it slowed down to nothing and from Sunday to Weds I had hardly anything (I use a Diva cup so it is difficult to say how much but since the cup never had anything but a few drops to about a tsp in it I would say I spotted). Then yesterday I thought I started flowing again but it was just more spotting for about 2 hours or so. Didn't even really need a pad or the cup. Now, nothing. I still keep feeling like I am flowing but then go to the bathroom and wipe and there is nothing there or there is the slightest about of pink blood. I don't have any other symptoms so wondering if it is just my age or not. My husband keeps telling me to stop worrying about it. It is either my age or something else and worrying about it doesn't help. But I am the kind of person that wants to the the "why" of everything. If I am not pregnant then why is my period shorter all of a sudden? I don't have the money to go to the doctor every time I have a sniffle or a hiccup and don't want to jump the gun on this. Anyone else have shorter periods (not in the days between them but in how many days of flow you have) as you have gotten older?
dragnflymomma
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Sunshinetex » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:44 pm

Dragonfly, I have wondered the same thing. My periods seem to have gotten shorter as I am getting older as well. Any one else have input?
Me - 41
BF - 39
TTC #1 - Sept 2012

Hsg October 2014 - blocked tube. Straight to ivf
Ivf #1 - feb 2015 - bfn
Ivf #2 -may 2015 -
5/7 - 10 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized
5/12 - et. 5 day transfer - 1 blastocyst and 2 morulas - bfn
7/2 - surgery to remove/repair tubes - tubes cauterized
Ivf #3 - sept 2015
9/10 - 13 eggs retrieved, 10 fertilized
9/15 - et 5 day transfer 3 blastocysts....
9/24 beta 152 9dp5dt
9/28 2nd beta 248 13 dp5dt
9/30 beta #3 468 15dp5dt
10/3 beta #4 1672 18dp5dt
10/9 u/s 1 baby
10/19 u/s 1 baby with heartbeat of 140. Due June 3, 2016.
Sunshinetex
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTC baby3 at 40 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:02 am

my periods have changed also. I used to be irregular between 28 to 35 days and bleed for at least 7 if not more days. Then after I had the mirena coil removed in September I have my period bang on every 26 days and it lasts for only 3 to 4 days. sorry your not pg hun x
Me - 40
DH - 34
DD - 12 previous relationship
DS - 9 previous relationship

TTC since Sept 13

Baby dust to everyone x
TTC baby3 at 40
Friend

Postby dragnflymomma » Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:16 pm

Thanks for letting me know I am "normal"....lol

It is nice to know I am not alone. I just wondered this month if I was pregnant because I never have periods where there isn't at least one large clot passed (sorry if TMI). This month it was so light in comparison (2 days of regular flow without any mucusy stuff or leakage and the rest spotting or nothing).

I am fairly certain I am not pregnant since my temp is low, as usual (I don't temp but my normal temps are low so if they were higher I would at least think I COULD be preggo), I have no symptoms other than my breasts being a bit more tender (which is probably normal for my age and also started after my m/c) and the only other thing is that right after my last day of spotting my underwear was constantly wet or moist like I had leaked urine or something and was always feeling like I was still flowing on my period even though there was nothing there when I wiped. That has since lessened so I figured my body is just weird.

I am doing my best to just chill out and move on with life as usual. My mother thinks that having bad allergie this season has contributed to my bosies rebellion and crazy fluctuations. NOt sure if that is the case but I will take it.

Hope everyone is doing well and, if you celebrate it, having a Happy Easter.
dragnflymomma
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to TTC in our 40s