Anyone else go backwards to IUI after IVF?

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Anyone else go backwards to IUI after IVF?

Postby jennimac » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:23 pm

So after 3 failed IVFs, DH and I have decided to give IUI a try. It's less than 1/10th of the cost (~$1,400 compared to ~$16,000 for IVF), and even though I'm 41, I just feel like my numbers arent' that bad (FSH: 7.8 AMH: .95 with a good amt of antral follicles, usually 12-15). Maybe I'm just naive, but I feel like I can beat the odds without going even more into debt!

Starting Femara tomorrow, then Gonal-F next week.

Anyone else over 40 doing IUI? Especially after IVF?
jennimac
Friend

Re: Anyone else go backwards to IUI after IVF?

Postby mom2bat43 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:12 pm

I am 43 and just had my 2nd IUI on 4/27. We haven't done IVF at all as our Dr. is hesitant to use my eggs and want to go strait to donor if we go that route and it's not something that I'm willing to consider yet as we've only been trying since January. IUI is inexpensive, neither of us has issues and both our counts on everything is really good. I had 5 good size follicles in March and 2 in April. We'll try this another time or two and then look at moving on; possibly with another opinion if Dr flat out refuses to try IVF with my eggs.

12.5 mg. Letrozole CD 3-7
Ovidrel 250 trigger
mom2bat43
Friend

Re: Anyone else go backwards to IUI after IVF?

Postby KeepTrying15 » Fri May 01, 2015 6:30 am

Hi, I haven't done IVF and our RE is pretty much of the same opinion as mom2bat43, he is hesitant with my low amh and doesn't want to "waste" our money using my own eggs. I think it's more that they don't want to ruin their success stats. We are also not ready to consider donor at this time. We are starting our 3rd iui cycle, just waiting on af to arrive. First IUI I responded very poorly to just clomid and only had one follicle, ovulated late, so it wasn't too much of a surprise that it didn't work. This last time, we combined femara and clomid, got a great follicle response with 3 on the right and 1 small on the left when we triggered, but unfortunately it didn't work. So we are willing to give it another shot using the femara/clomid combo since I responded well.

I'm not ready to give up on my own eggs just yet, we are remaining hopeful it will happen eventually! :) Good luck ladies!
3 early losses (natural bfps)
IUI #1-3 - BFN
IVF #1 - transferred 2 3-day embryos - BFN
IVF #2 - converted to IUI - BFP! - MC at 5 weeks
IVF #3 - 1 hatching 5 day blast transferred - 4 frosties
5dp5dt bfp :D
Beta #1 10dp5dt = 264
Beta #2 12dp5dt = 699
6w5d - HR 129 Image
8w2d - HR 174 Image

Image Image
KeepTrying15