Giving up Alcohol

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Giving up Alcohol

Postby Cesca10014 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi there! This is my first board and my first post. I am 41 and trying to conceive after 2 previous pregnancies. I did not want a child until bout 5 years ago but did not listen to the doctors when they told me that it would be more difficult at I grew older. With that, I am in the wine industry. I taste wine for a living and attend dinners and events where this is the focus. I live in a major city and there are many social and work events centered around drinking. While moderation is not an issue, I am finding it very difficult to give up alcohol all together. Everything I am reading is telling me to stop. I don't drink every day- maybe two or three times a week at most. I have trouble understanding that two or three glasses of wine (4oz-not a gross amount) with dinner is hindering my fertility. Anyone else out there care to comment on this?
Thank you!
Cesca10014

Re: Giving up Alcohol

Postby southernbelle » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:16 am

I'm 41 and I'm a lush! lol My history (in order) includes a chemical pregnancy, pregnancy with dd (at 38), a missed miscarriage last February, miscarriage in April (due to resulting scar tissue from Feb d&c), a chemical pregnancy in August, and so far a healthy pregnancy with #2 (10 weeks). That's six pregnancies and the only time I gave up drinking was when I was pregnant with dd. Even then I think I drank a small glass of red after the second trimester maybe five times total. I know there are varying opinions even with different doctors. The way I see it teenagers are getting drunk and knocked up on the daily, right? lol Also red wine is supposed to help with implantation during the tww.

Have you had any blood work or hsg done to see where you stand?

Also, I'm a little jealous of your job! :)
NTNP

Mar 2013 chemical pregnancy
May 2013 :bfp:
Feb 2014 Baby Girl :babyg:
Feb 2015 missed miscarriage @ 8 weeks (Vitex)
Apr 2015 miscarriage @ 6 weeks (Vitex)
Jun 2015 hysteroscopy
Aug 2015 failed IUI #1 (Femara, Follistim, Ovidrel)
Sep 2015 chemical pregnancy (Vitex)
Oct 2015 500mg Metformin, Baby Aspirin, 100mg Clomid cd 3-7 - Round 1
Nov 2015 500mg Metformin, Baby Aspirin, 150mg Clomid cd 3-7, Follistim cd 8-11, Ovidrel
Dec 2015 500mg Metformin, Baby Aspirin, Vitex, Preseed, Mucinex :bfp:
Aug 2016 Baby Boy :babyb:

My Ovulation Chart
southernbelle

Postby lunardays » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:21 am

Hi ladies!
I find this a hard topic as well. I do enjoy drinking...in moderation of course ;)

I am new to this forum and am also trying to conceive this year. I am 40 and have 1 precious 4 y/o boy. I am hoping this will be my year and i can learn loads from all the very experienced etc ladies out there!
lunardays

Postby baruderu » Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:31 am

Hi ladies, tricky topic! I am 42 years old and 35 weeks pregnant with my second. I abstained for the first trimester in both pregnancies and had one or two glasses of wine a week at around 16 weeks during my first pregnancy. This pregnancy has been tougher in terms of taking care of a 2 year old while being pregnant! I have a glass of wine every night with dinner pretty much to help me through. I don't think there's anything wrong with moderation. Going out on a limb here but I think it's far more harmful to have the flu shot or Dtap while pregnant. Insanity! Anyways, I hope you find a comfortable balance with wine and pregnancy. It's easy to feel the guilt trip but doing a bit of research on studies involving moderate drinking helped me.
My son was born in Feb 2014
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby beesandhoney » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:10 pm

Hello, I'm 41 and just started initial meds for hopeful IVF his month. Has been 12 months of failed IUI and other medicated cycles. I defiantly like to drink it calms me. My Dr said no drinking after ovulation but up until it's fine. My problem is that I've had 6 years ttc with no reason both dh and I good and healthy so I wonder if it's that? I don't want to blow his cycle since this one is the only chance we have as IVF here is around $16,000. But I just don't see how a couple glasses of wine during these first 2 weeks of meds and injections is going to cause me not to get pregnant or my eggs not to be chromosomally normal. I've read it's just bad it effects the pituitary and causes infertility but just don't know. DH says absolutely no drinking even to Dr said okay. Any success stories to share?
beesandhoney
Friend

Return to TTC in our 40s