*** 2016 TTC in 40's Roll Call!

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: *** 2016 TTC in 40's Roll Call!

Postby scrpbookr » Sun May 22, 2016 10:37 am

Hi Crumpet, I just downloaded the Ovia app to try. It looks good. Many of the items it tracks I am logging elsewhere with my fitness tracker and then a food log. But, it will be easy enough to add the items into Ovid and see how the relate to TTC.

I do have tests handy. If my temp doesn't drop tomorrow I will test. *fingers crossed* I really don't have a strong feeling one was or another.

Last October I started Weight Watchers. I had used the program in the past when I was motivated to lose weight and it works well for me. I lost about 30 lbs by Feb and got to their recommended goal weight for me. The last few months I have just been maintaining the loss. With the loss I am about 25 lbs less than when I got pregnant with my son. I am happy to be starting this at a lower weight knowing that I will gain 30 or so with pregnancy. I journal what I eat each day. I try to keep it balanced with lean protien, fruits/veggies, lean dairy, plenty of fluids, fiber, healthy oils, less sugar, etc. For activity most days we get together at 4 and do some sort of cardio/toning. We use programs like T25/PIYO. We do this at school. I wear a fitness tracker so I push to get steps in each day and reach the trackers goal.

I checked with my ob/gyn last fall about prenatal vitamins. He said it was fine to finish my women's daily vitamin bottle. In addition I take a B complex. I do this with seasonal allergies in mind but it is supposedly good while ttc, too. I also take a Quercetin/ Bromelain supplement for allergies. My weirdest pregnancy side effect with my son was carpal tunnel. The Quercetin/ Bromelain should help with that if needed, too. I have been thinking about adding Zinc.

My husband's family is a couple of hours away in PA. My mom is in TN but is great about coming and staying at length when I need her. My dad is near where I grew up in CA.

Where in the UK did you live? My mom and I met in Paris not long ago and explored there, London, Bruce and spent a couple of days at Disney outside of Paris. It was a lovely vacation. I have a European cruise that I am looking forward to this September.

Have you started to gather nursery ideas?
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Sun May 22, 2016 11:44 am

Wow! That's really impressive weight loss. Its even more impressive that you have kept it off. Being at a good weight is supposed to be one of the most important factors in getting pregnant. Its great that you prepared your body so well! Its also good that those habits can carry over to your conception and pregnancy tracking.

I'm glad you like Ovia. I was writing things down and it was starting to get messy so I switched to the ap. It sounds like you already have systems in place that work for you, but maybe it will be helpful to you also. Apparently you can synch it up with Fitbit and other fitness watches and programs so you could look into that too if it would be helpful. I use a Garmin when I run and it doesn't seem to synch up with that (but both can download into Excel).

It sounds like you are very zen about this one, which is good. Another month or so isn't really a big deal. I think most of us just get concerned by a delay that it will never happen -- at least that is my concern and why I'd like to conceive quickly.

It sounds like you also have your supplements in good order. I'm glad the regular vitamin was approved since that's essentially what I did. I've been off of vitamins for about 10 days now and eager to get back on something just in case.

When I lived in the UK I lived just outside of London. It was wonderful living there but after about 5 years I was eager to have more time for myself and be closer to my family. I met my husband just after returning to the US and we got married a bit less than two years after meeting. Its been a whirlwind few years but all really great stuff! Paris is wonderful. I'd like to get to know it better!

We haven't thought about a nursery yet. We may end up moving if/when I get pregnant. We live in a small place now and might be able to make it work with a baby, but a bigger place would be easier. What about you? Do you have plans for yours? What did you do with your son's nursery?
Me: 39
DH: 34
TTC #1 since: May 2016
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Sun May 22, 2016 12:57 pm

Hi Crumpet, I am so glad you mentioned that Ovia syncs with some devices. Mine is listed but it appears Ovia is working through bugs with device syncing currently. I will check back on it. It would be great if it pulled that info in for me.

We moved to our current home a couple of months before we conceived our son and we were in a big remodel the whole pregnancy. That was hard while nesting but I am glad we moved before starting our family. Our home is modest but I have zero desire to ever move again because all our family memories are right here. I really cherish that and want to make this place work forever now.

I love shows like Fixer Upper and Property Brothers. That would be a more ideal way to remodel than how we did it ourselves.

My son's nursery had a vintage toy type theme to it. I will see if I can add a couple of pics from the scrapbook.

We are big Disney fans and I am thinking of a theme with some classic, vintage Disney touches. We will see. I even like the name Walt for a little boy. Walter was my paternal grandpa's name, too.

Have you thought of names you like yet?

What subjects do you teach?
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Sun May 22, 2016 7:57 pm

Wow! Remodeling while pregnant sounds really hectic. That may end up happening to us as well. We're hoping to get a bigger place in the building our current apartment is in. We're just waiting for someone to move out!

We also like to keep it small. I find it so much easier to take care of my things and my home when I keep both paired down. We're hoping to get a slightly larger place and then stay there for a long long time.

Your nursery idea sounds adorable. I love the idea of vintage Disney. So adorable for whatever gender your child is. We may do a dinosaur theme, but we haven't let ourselves get too carried away. I'm a bit worried about our chances, even though my husband is confident.

Any news on AF? Any symptoms?

We're deep in our fertility window from now until Thursday. The pressure is on but at least this is the 'fun' part of the cycle. I am not looking forward to the wait. Sending you lots of good wishes and LUCK.
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Mon May 23, 2016 6:29 am

Good Morning, Crumpet - No sign of AF yet today. My temp was still up at 98.2. The last two mornings it was 98.3. When I look at my previous charts it looked like I dropped a half degree to a whole degree the day before / day of AF's arrival. (LIke to 97.6 then 97.3) So, no drop yet BUT I also got another bfn this morning. So it is all still up in the air. My husband was cute this morning. I temped and then used the restroom / tested. When I came back he asked what my temperature was telling me. I had to explain that it could still go either way and I honestly don't have a strong feeling one way or the other. I mentioned that I try not to drown him in all the symptoms and strategies because it makes me feel a little nutty. It is nice that he's curious about it, too though.

I'm not sure if I'm on track with this or not but I think it is our progesterone that keeps our temps high through the luteal phase. And it will be important to sustain implantation when it occurs. Because my temp is nice and high it would seem that my progesterone is decent. That is what I'm hoping at least.

So, we continue to wait. Lots of distraction this week with it being the last full week of school. We will be back a day and a half after Memorial Day. My son is getting excited. Are you close to releasing for the summer? Will you teach this summer?

Sending good thoughts your way and hoping for a successful and fun week for you and your husband.

P.S. Love the dinosaur idea! Will you use it for either gender? I like it for both!
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Mon May 23, 2016 2:08 pm

Whew! I had a busy day with work. I gave an exam today and now I have a fun filled evening and few days planned for grading and calculating final grades. Its probably good that I'm busy because I'm obsessing a bit since its my first time TTC. Everything is new, exciting, and (sometimes) scary.

Well, it definitely sounds really positive in terms of AF being late AND having high temperatures. Those negatives sound so...negative, but they can turn around. Life might have been easier *before* we had tests that we could take at will.

Speaking of tests, my OPK arrived. It has both OPK and Pregnancy strips (although fewer P strips so I can't go crazy with those, which is probably a good thing). I'm eager to try them to see what they tell me. Data collection is fun for me right now. I'm not sure if I'll feel that way if we're still trying a few months from now though.

Its great that your DH is involved and interested. Mine is too. He also seems confused about the biology of how things work. Truth be told so was I (and I still am about lots of things). We're lucky to have so much support. It makes things easier. I'm also trying not to exhaust him with details, although I have told him about my ap and the OPK. He's amused by my data-gathering enthusiasm.

We'll go with the Dino theme either way I think. It will be a fun one to play with! The ap says that Tuesday and Wednesday are my most fertile days and that O is due on Thursday. I'm interested to see if the OPK says the same thing. Time to drink more water...
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Tue May 24, 2016 5:44 am

Sounds like you're all set! SO exciting. I'll be curious if your + OPKs coincide with the app as well! It is nice that they included some pregnancy tests as well. Those will come in handy.

Love that the theme is the same for boy or girl!

So, my basal temp was still high this morning.... 98.5, so actually a bit up. But another pregnancy test brought a bfn. There is a VERY light second line on the test I took the day before but it came outside of the few minute wait and doesn't really count.

I have had a couple of strong symptoms I don't ever get pre AF that could be early pregnancy signs. I had heartburn a few times yesterday and once a few days ago. I don't recall ever having heartburn before in my life so this is something new. A bit of indigestion in the form of burping which is oh so glamorous. Thankfully burping isn't something that I usually have but I've had some whoppers the last couple of days. And I've been a bit queasy. I chose banana and toast for breakfast then took my vitamins. A few minutes later a large wave of nausea came over me and I did get sick. Very odd for me. Could all be coincidence. Time will tell. I have to run for a meeting now.

Keep me posted on your OPK tests.
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Tue May 24, 2016 6:42 am

Scrpbookr -- that sounds so positive! I'm sure the last few days waiting to hear are the worst. I'm fairly zen about it now but I'm sure that I'll be a basket case towards the end. I have already been counting how many days until I can take the P test and we're not out of my fertility window yet! Do you have any new symptoms? Any signs of AF? I guess you have to wait to check your temperature tomorrow since temperatures are taken right after you wake up, right?

I took my OPK yesterday and got a line, but not a strong one. I think this means that I'm reaching my most fertile period. According to Ovia, I should ovulate on about Thursday. The OPK aligns with Ovia so far. I'm going to take another test after 11:00 am (their suggested start time) to see if the line darkens. When its about as dark or darker than the control line I'll have a 24-48 hour window before I ovulate. In theory I should see the darker line today or tomorrow. I hope that it works!

This is the kit I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/Easy-Home-Ovulati ... _it&sr=8-3

I have no experience with OPKs so I don't have a very informed opinion. It seems to work well so far and its pretty cost-effective in comparison to others. Hopefully you won't need one though!
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Wed May 25, 2016 11:09 am

Good Afternoon, Crumpet-

Did you get a darker OPK today?

My temp was still up this morning. I didn't have any more tests at home but I picked some up on my lunch. I also tested on lunch. I THINK I see the faintest of lines. I will test again in the morning to see if it is just my wishful thinking seeing a faint line or if it is actually there. This makes me feel so nutty.

No sign of AF and historically my temp drops and then she shows up.

I had pretty extreme headaches at bedtime and as I woke in the night. I don't get headaches often / usually and these were strong. I'm hoping they are caused by hormone surges. If I'm not pregnant I have some sort of bug between the headaches, daytime temps of 99-100, indigestion, nausea and getting sick.

Time will tell. This takes patience.
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Wed May 25, 2016 2:04 pm

Scrpkbookr--I must confess that I'm starting to get excited for you! I'm sure you don't want to read into anything and possibly get excited only to end up with a BFN, but it does sound really good. I'm crossing fingers for you!

Still no darker OPKs. Theoretically I should ovulate tomorrow, which means I should surge anytime now. I'm going to take the test again today and then a few times tomorrow. Apparently it can be hard to catch the surge because they can be short. Its also possible that I missed mine since I only started testing on CD14 and you should start by CD10 (some people even need earlier than that!). Time may tell.

In the meantime I have been somewhat overanalyzing symptoms. Sometimes I decide I'm feeling signs of pregnancy. Other times I think I am feeling signs of ovulation. I think I'll be completely bonkers during the TWW.
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Thu May 26, 2016 6:12 am

Good Morning, Crumpet - Unfortunately I had another BFN this morning. But, my temp is still up. Basal is 98.3. A couple of times yesterday evening I was still 99-100 as well. The continued hot flash type feeling along with a really bloated tummy were the strongest symptoms lately. My breast are sore too.

It would seem that I could get a positive test by now if I was pregnant though. If I did ovulate on CD 10 like expected with a 24 day cycle I am 16dpo today. I'm not sure what is going on.

Any luck with a darker line on your OPKs yet?

I have a few more tests after stocking up yesterday so I'll test again in the morning if my temp remains up.

I'm trying hard to be patient, balanced and positive.

If I am not pregnant there is an upside to a longer cycle this month. If AF showed up last Monday as expected I was going to be away when ovulation came in June. I was really bummed about that. If this is a delayed cycle and not a pregnancy we are getting close to no longer having the conflict with being away during ovulation. It would be a bummer to have to skip trying next month.

Still hoping for a BFP in coming days though!
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Thu May 26, 2016 7:11 am

Good morning Scrpbookr -- I'm sorry you're still getting BFNs. From what I understand, some people get positives really late. There's no need to be discouraged until AF comes. It sounds like you've got a great mindset during all of this. It is reassuring to know that a late AF will set you up for a better month of TTC in June.

I think my OPK got a bit darker last night. I will test again today. The afternoon is supposed to be ideal so I'll wait until later to test. The Ovia ap suggested I should O today. I downloaded Fertility Friend also for comparison. It estimated CD14 by default but has moved me up over time as it learns more about my cycle. Its interesting to compare the aps. FF may be more science-like than Ovia. I'm not sure which is better so I'll use both until I decide. FF has some great videos on its website as well. Its worth checking out if you're interested.

I'm meeting my OB/GYN today. I'm keen to ask her questions and make sure I'm in good order!
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Fri May 27, 2016 7:03 am

Good Morning, Crumpet - How did your appointment with the OB/GYN go? Did you learn anything helpful or interesting?

What was the feedback on prenatal vitamins?

Did you get a darker line on the OPK? I'm hoping for perfect timing for you!

I actually have a Fertility Friend login from 10 years ago when we were TTC #1. I just accessed the account again 4 or 5 days ago. It's the website rather than the app though. All my old charts, etc are still there though. Nice of them to hang on to them for me!
For a while I've tracked cycles on a WomanLog app. In the Fall when we decided to try for #2 I upgraded it to the Pro version and it tracks similar to the Ovia app that I downloaded a few days ago when you suggested it. I do think all the info gathering is interesting and nice to look back at.

My basal temp was still up at 98.3 this morning. No sign of AF but I had another BFN this morning.

I'm looking back at cycle lengths in Woman Log now.
Oct 23 days
Nov 33 days
Dec 23 days
Jan 25 days
Feb 26 days
Mar 32 Days
April 23 days
May 28 days and counting

When I list the cycles like this they look pretty inconsistent in length. I recall in my 30s having a more consistent 28 day cycle. I did mention that I've had some shorter cycles to my OB/GYN in the fall and he suggested that my cycle may be changing some as I enter my 40s. There have also been a couple of longer cycles. Maybe this month is another of those??

I do recall EWCM around days 10-11 and we bd each day from days 7-12 but now that we are to day 28 if I'm not pregnant you would think that I ovulated closer to day 14. Because my luteal phase temps are high it confirms that I did ovulate at some point.

I was reading an article about the fluctuation of gestation length. Although we use 40 as an average it can fluctuate up to 5 weeks. Sometimes early, sometimes late. I was 12 days late with my son. In the article it did show that this would be an indication of length for future pregnancies. They also said that in early pregnancy those with longer gestations also have a slower start. Which might explain what is happening with me.

BUT, I also looked at a journal entry from back when I got my BFP with our son and it looks like I had that at approximately 12dpo. With this cycle if I ovulated somewhere around days 10-12 I would currently be 16 to 18dpo today. It would seem that I could get a positive test if I was pregnant.

Maybe we conceived but it isn't viable and that is why the hcg isn't increasing to a detectable level??

Maybe it is just a long cycle....

If we do have to try again in June it looks like with as long as AF has waited that my son and I will be back home from our schools out, summer kick off shore trip by the time my fertile window comes again. That is a big positive. My husband isn't a beach guy so he is staying home. It is a relief to know we will be back together and not miss the next fertile window if I am not pregnant.

To sum it up I'm still in the who knows phase.

I think ttc tests our patience to ensure we have enough patience to get us through motherhood.
scrpbookr

Postby Crumpet » Fri May 27, 2016 8:02 am

Scrpbookr -- good morning! We're having gorgeous weather where I am. I hope its nice where you are too. It helps during these trying times (seriously didn't intend that pun).

That is so frustrating to not have AF OR a BFP. It does look like your cycles range a fair amount (10 day swing). You may be right that this is why there's no AF and no BFP. If you're 12 days out, many tests would pick up a positive by now, although from what I've read, that is not always true. I guess all you can do is keep testing and keep waiting for AF, which is rather unsatisfying!!

I'm glad that you get some good news out of all of this and that June will work more organically for you to TTC. That's a huge plus!

My OBGYN appointment was not positive. She said that my results suggest a 'less predictable outcome' for trying naturally. She wants me to get a pelvic ultrasound to check out my follicles. If results are poor, she's referring me to an RE. If they are okay or positive she says to try for 4 months and then she'll refer me to an RE. I didn't expect to be hearing this sort of news at this stage of TTC (we're still in our first cycle!!). Its a lot to deal with emotionally and mentally. Still, I'm really glad that she's proactive AND that we're getting started on a problem-solving plan in case we need it. I'm trying to stay positive. My husband is wonderful and very supportive. He offered to get himself tested so we can rule out problems from him. He's a keeper for sure.

My OBGYN said most prenatal are good. She recommended ones with DHA. I just ordered some and they should arrive by Monday. I'll be happy to get those started.

I've had no luck with the OPKs so far. My CM might be telling me that it already happened:
20th: watery
21-23: EWCM
24-27 watery

I may have ovulated on the 23rd or 24th based on that. I'll keep doing OPKs once a day though just in case.

My OBGYN wasn't terribly into BBTs. She thought they might make me stressed. They seem to be helpful for lots of people though so I may start next month.

Its great that FF kept your profile and information. I think its great to have this information. I'm enjoying comparing FF and Ovia. I'm sure they'll get more accurate with each cycle.

You're probably right that TTC tests your ability to deal with being a mother. Oy!
My Ovulation Chart
Crumpet
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby scrpbookr » Sat May 28, 2016 10:18 am

Happy Saturday, Crumpet-

I agree completely that the weather is perfect. It feels like summer for sure this weekend.

My bbt dropped this morning and just a bit ago AF showed up. I, of course, wanted to be pregnant but it is a relief to know one way or the other for this cycle.

I am sorry the news from the ob/gyn was discouraging. I am hoping the ultrasound brings positive news.

In the meantime try to stay positive as you go through this cycle. You and your dr are both being proactive with the tests but I am still hopeful that you will have luck naturally without having to wait too long. Someone has to make up the percentage that has success each month.

From this cycle I learned that between the headaches, nausea, high temps, sore breasts and bloating I think my progesterone is naturally pretty high during the luteal phase. I view that as a positive. I would also prefer that my cycle be closer to 28 days like this one was than shorter or longer. But, because there is such a fluctuation I think I better try longer. Trying from something like day 8 through 18 might be necessary. My husband will like that news. This past cycle we left for scout camp on cycle day 12. With AF here today I am guessing I ovulated more like day 14 and we missed it.

This coming cycle we are supposed to come home from the shore on day 10. I will bring OPKS with me, take my bbt and watch for EWCM. We could return home early if necessary but I am hoping ovulation waits for the 10th or after.

We are tackling some outdoor projects today. I am getting ready to put a fresh coat of stain on our deck. I also just had an iced coffee now that AF is here. I had stopped coffee earlier this cycle just in case. I am looking forward to a light cocktail when we grill dinner tonight, too. Then I will start behaving again into the next cycle.

Sending lots of good thoughts for a successful cycle your way.

Is your cycle length pretty consistent?
scrpbookr

PreviousNext

Return to TTC in our 40s