Difficulty Conceiving...Lots of Questions

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Difficulty Conceiving...Lots of Questions

Postby OD1974! » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:55 pm

Hi, I am 42. I recently had a miscarriage (February 2016). So heartbreaking as we have been trying to conceive for over two years. My period has finally regulated, but I fear that I am too old and that the miscarriage (actually had to have a D&C) may have traumatized me. I recently purchased Fertilaid and started that today. No idea if that will even work. OBGYN is doing a progesterone serum on Friday. Is there any hope out there? Boyfriend is 10 years younger and does not have children of his own. I want so desperately to make him a father. Any suggestions? Words of advise?
OD1974!
Friend

Re: Difficulty Conceiving...Lots of Questions

Postby mimimama » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:41 am

I don't want to read and run. I can't help much, but would like to wish you all the best
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Danaa » Wed Sep 14, 2016 3:50 am

Hey there,age definitely has a role in this process but if you are healthy and you are taking vitamins and supplements im sure everything will work out just fine,I saw ladies on here in their 40s trying for their second child and succeeding.
I recommend coq10,vitex,folic acid,prenatale vitamins and a healthy diet!
Good luck!
My Ovulation Chart
Me 29
DH 31
After 3 years in which we tried everything we are doing IVF in Greece with Iakentro Athens.
Short Protocol with Bemfola and Cetrotide
19mature eggs and we have 9 day5 blasto.
FET#1 ended in a loss around 5 weeks
FET#2 ended in a loss at 22w due to IC,my boys will be forever in my heart .
FET#3 ?
Danaa
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby OD1974! » Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:10 am

Thanks so much for the positive thoughts. I am now on my second bottles of Fertilaid and Ovaboost. My cycle is now at 30 days with no AF and tons of BFNs. I am a little confused because since my D&C in February, my cycles have been 24-26 days. I am not sure if the Fertilaid is delaying my period, or if I possibly ovulated later than I thought and my luteal phase is longer than 14 days. I am going crazy lol :omg: . I thought I was having implantation symptoms last week: cramping, nausea, acne, lightheaded, and heartburn. None of those symptoms exist today other than the heartburn :(
OD1974!
Friend

Postby FGW » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:45 pm

I know this is an old post, but hoping to help - I'm almost 42, had a D&C after a MMC (at 10.5 weeks) back in May - my AF returned to normal after 8 weeks. We started trying again on that first cycle (I'm on cycle 4 now, in the 2WW) - For my first 3 cycles, I had unbearable ovulation pain, and ongoing cramps off and on throughout those 3 months. Only on this cycle did I start to feel somewhat "normal" again (I had minor ovulation cramps the day I ovulated, but that's it). I haven't had any irregular cycles (I'm 28 or 29 days), and I ovulate on Day 13, 14, or 15 every month. So - while my regularity was reassuring, the constant pelvic discomfort and pain was very discouraging (I also had an urgency to urinate for those 3 months as well). I also now experience all PMS symptoms (which I never experienced before - I was very lucky in that I never had any pains during my cycle or PMS prior to the MMC).

All this to say - I think it takes a while for some women's bodies to recover from an MMC and a D&C - for me, it's looking like it took 6 months for my body to recover. I wouldn't freak out about your changing cycles - it could be the supplements, or it could just be your body still recovering. Be kind to yourself, try not to obsess or symptom-spot (that will make you crazy). Unfortunately PMS symptoms are exactly like PG symptoms (at least for me they are) - which is a sad emotional and physical reminder of the loss.

I've read a lot of encouraging data in the last few months: (1) There simply isn't enough data out there on women over 40 conceiving naturally, because it hasn't really happened frequently prior to pre-contraception days (the 1920's) - and back then, from what is documented, the average age of a woman having her last child was at 42 . . . average . . . not "oldest". All data on women over 40 is from IVF - which is dismal at best. But again - women in their 40's haven't been TTC in abundance until recent years. (2) Your biological age could be very different than your actual age . . . you could have the "inner workings" of a 30 year old - despite what an RE tells you. (3) This one was a shocker for me after reading all the blogs - women in their 40's (mid to late, typically) - getting pregnant accidentally after rounds of IVF, IUI, and other treatments (after having officially given up on their chances of conceiving). This tells me that stress of TTC may be the biggest obstacle in conception.

Sorry for the long post - and hell, you might be preggo by now!! I hope you are! :)

FGW
FGW
Friend

Return to TTC in our 40s