TTC at 40

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC at 40

Postby libellula » Wed Jan 18, 2017 8:59 am

I will be turning 41 next month, and have been ttc for 3 months now. I have children from a previous relationship, and didn't seem to have any issues prior. I talked to my OBGYN about 6 months ago and she said my uterus "looks" good, but didn't do any testing. I wasn't actively trying at that point, so didn't ask for testing.

Here we are, 3 months in, and not having much luck. My BF and I have been together for almost 2 years and started trying in November. I have been using ovulation kits, and as far as I can tell, I am ovulating regularly. My cycle was consistent at 26 days, with ovulation at CD 14-17 days and a luteal of 13 days. Last month af was 5 days late, bfn. I then ovulated 13 days later on 1/6. I am at 12dpo and got a bfn yesterday. I didn't test today, just because I didn't want to see the negative. I have been hyper emotional since 5dpo, with spotting on CD17, CD19, CD22, CD23, and CD24. And this is minimal spotting, mixed in the CM. My DB has said I'm like a kettle pot these days, that I just blow up easily (in the last week). I have been crying and exhausted, but just thinking it's the emotion of it all. He is younger than me, and I am worried that I am his last chance for the son he's hoping for. I tried vitex for a couple days, but after reading stories that it messes up regular periods, I stopped. We tried the mucinex this month, and did the bd on CD 10, CD 11, and CD 15, which CD 11 was the day of the positive OPK. In theory, my af will be heretomorrow, and I'm thinking a hpt test would have shown even a faint line yesterday, if I was pregnant.

I'm wondering, since I've never experienced this, what is the first step to take? I want to do as much as I can on my own, since by DB is a positive thinker and thinks everything will be just fine. I'm scared, truthfully. I will be 41 next month and I know the reality of getting pregnant as this age. I know I've only been trying for a few months, but I also know they say not to wait too long at this age.

Any advice?
libellula

Re: TTC at 40

Postby crowsfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:58 am

Hi libellula - welcome!

Sorry this is all so stressful. It's hard to know what is going on when there are so many variables at once. I'm not sure what a uterus 'looking good' means from a medical standpoint, but it sounds like you're healthy which is great. Have you tried temping? That might be helpful to confirm that/when you're ovulating. The fertility friend website is a really good place to start with info there.

FWIW, I'm in a similar spot but two years older. AF due today too.

Fingers crossed for you
crowsfoot

Postby libellula » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:12 am

AF came late last night.

I have thought about the temping, but haven't found any specific BBT that have a glowing review. Do you have any suggestions?

It is a very difficult situation isn't it? We put on the face that everything is fine, when inside it's all panic and sadness. I'm sorry you're in the same situation.
libellula

Postby crowsfoot » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Sorry you're out this round. I'm still waiting.

For BBTs - I just got a cheapy from the drugstore and it seems to be good enough.
crowsfoot

Postby SEL » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:55 am

Checked in down here and there are people to talk to! Hello!

I've been trying for a few years now. Nothin but chemicals, no sticky bean. Had hormones checked last year and hormones are a bit wacky. I ovulate on my own, but need hormone support (thin lining and "just ok" progesterone level). Taking a ton of supps and use soft cups to get the swimmers closer to the door lol.

So nice to meet some ladies around my age. I'm 43. :hi:

Simone
TTC #4
2 DD and 1 DS

My Ovulation Chart
SEL
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby crowsfoot » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi SEL :hi:

I wouldn't say we're having a rousing conversation here, but it is nice to have some company in our 40s. I'm also 43.
Sorry to hear about the chemicals. That sucks, but it's good to know that you're ovulating.

Never came back to update, but I did not get a BFP in January. DH and I agreed to go one more cycle and then stop trying. It's been 18 months and it's just too hard to put things on hold (planning, finances etc.) indefinately. I'm coming to peace with the decision. That said I'm 6 dpo today with really good timing this month so ... we'll see.

How are others doing?
crowsfoot

Postby tingham » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 pm

Hi Ladies,

I just want to say best of luck to you! I'm 39 and will be 40 this summer (and if I am successful this time around) by the time I give birth to my 2nd. I'm on CD12 and can feel my O so I've been BBD the last couple days and hoping no visit from AF. I have been tracking my O with calendar and fertility apps. nothing more. Just on Baby asprin and if I get my BFP on the 25th, I will start Progesterone suppositories. I know many ladies these days are having babies in their 40's. My friend is 41 and having her 3rd in May. I also have another friend who had her second at 44! Oh and my cousins wife had 2 kids after she turned 41!

Me:
History: 3 MC’s - 2 in early 20’s then 1 successful year after
DD is 17yrs. 3rd MC December 2015 at 7 weeks.
D&C in January 2016
BF of 4 ½ yrs is 33, no children
Took a summer break and started TTC again in August 2016. No luck
As of October 2016 - Obgyn recommended taking daily baby asprin and have Progesterone suppositories on stand-by.
Me: 39 started TTC at 38 after coming off pill for 15 years
DD: 17
SO - 33, no Kids
History:
Possible PCOS - issues w/pain of a RC (NBD)
3 MC’s - last (3rd MC) Dec. 2015 at 7 weeks
D&C: Jan. 2016
NTNP Jan. 2016 to July 2016
Started actively TTC :bd: by tracking DPO Aug. 2016

Update:
:bfp: March 24th 2017!
Products used: Prenatals/HPTs/Baby asprin
Now using: Progesterone suppositories
tingham
Friend

Postby tingham » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:52 pm

also I JUST WANT TO add it is not an easy road but just stay positive and try to eat foods that help. I know it's hard to not think about it each cycle, but lots of ppl say the fall preggo when they least expect it.
And...have you all heard of taking Mucinex to help thin out CM to get things moving closer to the door? Maybe try that too.
Me: 39 started TTC at 38 after coming off pill for 15 years
DD: 17
SO - 33, no Kids
History:
Possible PCOS - issues w/pain of a RC (NBD)
3 MC’s - last (3rd MC) Dec. 2015 at 7 weeks
D&C: Jan. 2016
NTNP Jan. 2016 to July 2016
Started actively TTC :bd: by tracking DPO Aug. 2016

Update:
:bfp: March 24th 2017!
Products used: Prenatals/HPTs/Baby asprin
Now using: Progesterone suppositories
tingham
Friend

Postby SEL » Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:05 pm

Hello! Thanks for the reply Crowsfoot and Hi to Tingham.

Crowsfoot, I def hear what you are saying about putting your life on hold with regard to ttc. I am experiencing the same thing, I just feel so....disenchanted with the whole process. We're giving it six months of trying naturally, and then we'll do one round of IVF and then that is it. Done.

Tingham, so sorry to hear about your mc's. I feel ya. I, too take the baby asprin and have the progesterone supps to take vaginally after O. I also take estrogen to help with the lining. I take the mucinex too and use soft cups. I get positive opks and I (paper) chart and temps seem to indicate ovulation. I TOTALLY agree with the diet advice, I have banned anything GMO and anything sugary and "garbagy" lol.

My sister had a baby at 46 (IVF).

Libellula - are you still around? I just bought a cheap digital thermometer from amazon. I temp vaginally and it beeps. Seems pretty accurate.

AFM, am currently 7dpo. Oh the wait...don't you just love it lol?!

Simone
TTC #4
2 DD and 1 DS

My Ovulation Chart
SEL
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby scaredofmenopause » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:24 pm

If I were you, I wouldn't waste time, If you're that determined to have another baby, you should go and both get tested. It's peace of mind. I just had the egg timer test; it's cheap and worth doing so you know you're not wasting your time and stressing unnecessarily.
scaredofmenopause
Friend

Postby mimimama » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:44 am

I know a few ladies who got pregnant at advanced maternal age (through IVF/IVF with PGS NGS and natural conception)
Me 31, DH 40. TTC 5 years. Unexplained infertility.
December 2015- IVF #1 BFN
May/June 2016- new doctor, IVF consultation in Gdansk Poland
October 2016- IVF #2 Invicta BFP!!!
mimimama
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby SEL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:06 am

mimimama -Hi. I saw in your siggie that you had IVF in Poland. DH and I are trying to save some money by going overseas for our IVF and thought that Poland/India might be a good option, Can I be nosey and ask how much it all was and is there a clinic you recommend? TIA

Simone
TTC #4
2 DD and 1 DS

My Ovulation Chart
SEL
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby crowsfoot » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 am

Hey! More posts! It's great to see this thread getting some ... I was going to say 'action', but that's too much of double entendre? Anyway, hi!

SEL (this is an aside, but I just ate at an amazing Spanish restaurant named SEL) it's good to have a plan. My trouble is that we're having trouble sticking to the plan we made. Every month it's like 'oh, just one more try. I'm sure this time..." it's got to stop somewhere.

Tingham - I like your positive attitude!

mimimama - are there different things women try in Poland for AMA?

Anybody here getting close to testing? I can't see charts, but it sounds like everybody is a week or two away? I'm 12 DPO and BFN today. No sign of the witch though so I'm not out yet.
crowsfoot

Postby SEL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:53 am

mmmm Crowsfoot, Spanish food. Now you're talking.

I'm 10dpo. Feel a lot of pressure down there. Kinda feels like this...

I tested this morning and got something on a FRER and on cheapie. But, everyone's complaining about the curvy handled FRER's, so I just don't know. I have taken a pic but don't know if I am imagining a line. This whole process can make you do that lol!

Simone
TTC #4
2 DD and 1 DS

My Ovulation Chart
SEL
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby SEL » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:01 am

It is so hard to take a pic of what I see IRL. To try and get the camera to pick it up. Meh.

invert. sorry it's huge

Simone
TTC #4
2 DD and 1 DS

My Ovulation Chart
SEL
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to TTC in our 40s