Newby: 45, 12 mo. TTC#1, hypothyroid, celiac - any buddies?

TTC in our fabulous forties!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

BFN before BFP?

What DPO was the last BFN before the BFP?
100%
What brand of test did you use?
No votes

Total votes : 1

Newby: 45, 12 mo. TTC#1, hypothyroid, celiac - any buddies?

Postby wiferoli » Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:34 am

I am 13DPO today (12/11/06) and tested negative (again) on e.p.t., Answer, and New Choice. Yes, I am obsessed. It's TWW madness. If you've seen the POAS site (peeonastick.com), I'm in that category.

I've been stalking symptoms on this site for some time, I even have a MS Word document with all of the early pregnancy symptoms copied into it so I can easily search for others' experience of my "current" TWW symptom. I update it whenever there's a new post - scary, isn't it? :0

This month was different in that I had a bright red spot after O and then at 6DPO I started brown spotting which has continued. It was heaviest at 7DPO and has tapered off to very light spotting that I mainly see when checking CP. I am using the Clearblue Fertility Monitor and have used Pre-Seed and Instead cups in the past, but didn't this month because I wanted God to get the glory.

As I said upstairs, we have been TTC for 12 months for our first (and presumably only) child. We waited so long because I has having "health challenges" until around July 2005 and then it took me another six months to convince DH that I was okay enough to be a mother. I have Hashimoto's disease (autoimmune hypothyroidism) and take Levoxyl and Cytomel for it. I also have celiac disease (gluten intolerance) and am allergic to casein (dairy) and eggs - I don't have much fun eating out! I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, but since taking the thyroid supplements and sticking with the GFCF diet, my FMS symptoms went away (except for brain fog) and my doctor (finally) felt it okay for me to TTC. I have also been on HRT, but am no longer using the Vivelle (estradiol/estrogen) because I think it made me insane. I still take Prometrium (progesterone) during the luteal phase and this month I've upped my dose to 300 mg/day. I am wondering if my symptoms are partly due to the extra progesterone.

I am planning to stop "trying" and charting after the end of the year. It really makes me sad to think of being childless, but this has been so consuming these last 12 months. I feel that I really need to get on with my life. I also have this idea that I don't want to give birth at 46, which I will be in September.

That's my little story. I look forward to meeting other 40+ TTCers.

Betsy aka "Wiferoli" (that's what my husband calls me...)
wiferoli

Postby timmymommy » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:14 am

welcome wiferoli. good luck to you. my mom just told me that her mom(grandma) had her last baby at 46.you never know.
me- 43- , dh 44 ds 8. ttc since8/05, http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/f62b4
timmymommy
Friend

Thank you!

Postby wiferoli » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:31 pm

hi timmymommy,

thanks for the encouragement. my bbt dropped to just above coverline today - i think this month is another BFN, especially since hpt was negative again at 14dpo, but i never give up all hope till i see af.
i am guessing that you are timmy's mommy? :wink: congratulations! how old is he?
see you round the forum!
wiferoli
>^..^<
TTC#1 at 45!
with hashimoto's hypothyroid, celiac and GFCF diet
wiferoli

Postby oldermum » Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:41 am

hi wiferoli i'm 45 in Dec and i think i'm pregnant not sure yet go to Dr on Monday but i also have a 15 month old baby and 3 grown up children and i'm loving it my older children are 25,23.19 1 girl 2 boys and my baby boy i really would love another little princess i really do hope this is my month and yours :oops:

lets be older mums together i have lots more patience with my baby :oops:

baby dust to everyone ttc xx
oldermum

Postby timmymommy » Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:41 am

Hi older mum - welcome. can i ask, did you have to try for a long time for your 15 month old child? sticky vibe to you.
me- 43- , dh 44 ds 8. ttc since8/05, http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/f62b4
timmymommy
Friend

Postby De » Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Hello Betsy,

Welcome!!! I think you already know but it doesn't hurt to repeat. We(40+ TTCers) share so many of your worries, fears, and doubts. I've just turned 44 last month and am also trying for my 1st. Usually, I am the image of hope. These days, however, I feel a bit sad. Like you I wonder if I should keep trying after next year. I had given myself until 46 to have two babies. Well, it doesn't look like that will happen.

It feels me with hope again finding out things like, Nadia Comaneci, the gymnast, had her first baby last year, at 45. Also, when I look at my parents and my DP's parents, in their late 60s and early 70s, I realize that folks don't age the same way anymore. Our parents are quite active, healthy. So, it will be okay to have a baby at 45/46. By the time age will begin to slow me down -- around 80 I hope -- my child will be an adult.

Anyway,I think we shouldn't give up on the account of age alone.

Tons ofsticky baby dust

De
------------
Me- 44
DP- 46
De

Postby bluedisc » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:52 am

Hi, I wish you all the very best of luck with this one. My mother has the same health problems as you do, but wasn't diagnosed until she was over 50. She had my brother and I in the same year at 20-21, then re-married and had my sister at 38. She didn't try for any other children.
She has also got high ferritin levels (iron overload).
One thing with hypothyroid is it can cause very long cycles until corrected - maybe you have more eggs left due to this?
It's crucial to have your thyroid medicine just right to conceive and your dosage will need to be assessed and re-assessed frequently if you do get pregnant, because pregnancy can cause changes, but you're going to know that anyway.
It's worth carrying on with trying if you're determined. It could just happen.
bluedisc

Return to TTC in our 40s