+OPK's, doc thinks I'm not O'ing?

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

+OPK's, doc thinks I'm not O'ing?

Postby manders04 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Hello ladies!

I came off birth control in November 2011 and have been irregular ever since. My first cycle was 45 days, next was 32, and now I'm on CD 39 with a :bfn: this morning. I've had +OPK's each cycle (I don't temp because I'm a tooth grinder and have to sleep with a sexy mouthguard). I saw my OB/GYN for my annual exam last week and he thinks I'm not ovulating (despite the OPK's) and suggested I start Clomid when my next cycle finally starts.

So, if I'm not O'ing, it looks like my body is just producing enough LH to gear up to O and then not actually releasing an egg? I wondered if this is points to PCOS, but I have zero other symptoms. Any ladies that can shed some light on what could potentially be going on with my crazy body? Thanks to all of you!
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Tee2876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:43 am

I have same issue. I do temp that method really gives u insight. Ive been off pill
Since march 2011 and weve been trying since sept 2011. I havnt had a period in almost 90 days now. I started taking an herb cslled vitex aot of girls on here swesr by it. I have nott gone to gyno yet as I have my annual pap for April and will discuss then
I just turned 36 last month and suspect pcos. I never thought much of it untl wr started trying. Its frustrating but sounds like your Dr is willing to.hrlp you. good luck!
Tee2876
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby manders04 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:54 am

Hello Tee2876, thanks for your response!

I'll be 31 in a month and worry heavily that this is PCOS. I'm skinny, no extra hair anywhere, normal LH levels, normal cholesterol and triglycerides. I've been reading that you can have polycystic ovaries and have little to no other symptoms (although somewhere I read 80% of women with fewer than 9 periods a year have PCOS - I'm on track for about 8-9). I suppose I'll just obsess about it until I see my OB again. I think the only way for it to be ruled out in my case would be to have an ultrasound. I realize my body could still be out of whack from coming off the pill (on it for 11 years), but my doc told me he thinks I should be regular by now.

Hoping we are able to get our :bfp: 's soon despite our challenging cycles!
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Tee2876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:10 am

Im thin (well normal ) for height - no extra hair. As for th LH levels if you're getting + OPKs you may not have normal LH levels I get + OPKS all the time and super plus ones not just possible +. My chol / tri's are high but not crazy horrilble. Have you had the LH and FSH test done yet? For this year if I dont get my period by April I will only be on track for 8 if that for this year. As for just coming off pill you may have had PCOS all along but disguised it with pill as pill will regulate your monthly but you will never fix the prob....... We will both get BFP. Look into Vitex / Chasteberry!
Tee2876
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby manders04 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:51 am

Hi again! I had a question - you said you get +OPK's all the time, does that mean your tests turn out positive often during your cycle or that you get one +OPK a cycle?. My friend with PCOS said her OPK's are positive at least 50% of the time.

I had a full blood panel done and everything came back normal (LH, FSH, TSH, prolactin, cholesterol, glucose, etc.). I only get one or two +OPK's a cycle, and if I get two they are on consecutive days.

I totally agree that my BCP could have been masking any PCOS symptoms for all those years. Kind of makes me wish I had come of the pill sooner to get this all figured out! :(
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Tee2876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 am

I almost always get a + OPK which is a clue that I may have PCOS as my LH is highly being detected : ( -

I do have a high level (not extreme) of testosterone which is normally one clue to PCOS as well

Doesnt sound like you have PCOS if all of those tests are normal maybe your cycle is a mess from long term BC. My cousin was on the pill for like 13 yrs and then went off to get prego and it took her 9 mths to get all straight!
Tee2876
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby manders04 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Wow, thanks for your response! :D I forgot to mention I do suffer from mild-moderate adult acne, and that seems to keep me coming back to PCOS. It could just be due to genetics, because my dad had pretty bad acne growing up (still breaks out at 60) and my mom had a little, too. I suppose if my LH is normal, I probably shouldn't worry as much as I am...but if there IS something wrong, I want to attack it on all cylinders! :wink:

Also, thanks for mentioning your cousin and her BC. I'm so happy to hear positive stories about conceiving after coming off the pill. I'd be happy with waiting 9 months (already put in 4.5) if I knew for sure my :bfp: was coming at the end!

Oh, and I have looked into Vitex (thanks for the recommendation) and unfortunately won't be able to use it if I choose to take Clomid. I'm thinking that will probably be my next step as long as my DH's semen analysis comes back with good news.

Hoping and praying that :af: will arrive by Monday. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to seeing her, but I just want to start a new cycle already!

Thank you again for your help, it is most appreciated. It seems we don't get as much 'traffic' here in the irregular cycles forum, which is unfortunate because we need to support each other through these insane cycles! :D
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Tee2876 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 pm

manders04 wrote:Wow, thanks for your response! :D I forgot to mention I do suffer from mild-moderate adult acne, and that seems to keep me coming back to PCOS. It could just be due to genetics, because my dad had pretty bad acne growing up (still breaks out at 60) and my mom had a little, too. I suppose if my LH is normal, I probably shouldn't worry as much as I am...but if there IS something wrong, I want to attack it on all cylinders! :wink:

Also, thanks for mentioning your cousin and her BC. I'm so happy to hear positive stories about conceiving after coming off the pill. I'd be happy with waiting 9 months (already put in 4.5) if I knew for sure my :bfp: was coming at the end!

Oh, and I have looked into Vitex (thanks for the recommendation) and unfortunately won't be able to use it if I choose to take Clomid. I'm thinking that will probably be my next step as long as my DH's semen analysis comes back with good news.

Hoping and praying that :af: will arrive by Monday. I can't believe I'm actually looking forward to seeing her, but I just want to start a new cycle already!

Thank you again for your help, it is most appreciated. It seems we don't get as much 'traffic' here in the irregular cycles forum, which is unfortunate because we need to support each other through these insane cycles! :D

Keep in touch, good luck with everything! (PS Im using vitex in place of clomid) and we will get prego! :) when is the semen results coming back>? My husband has no motility issues but he uses Fertil Aid Mens formula!
Tee2876
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby manders04 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:34 pm

I don't know if you're around anymore, Tee2876, but I got my BFP today! I waited to test because I assumed I wasn't going to end up pregnant this cycle, and today at 15 DPO I broke down and POAS! There was my :bfp: ! It can happen with crazy cycles!
manders04
TTC Diva
TTC Diva

Postby Tee2876 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm

Im here and yay congrats! good luck happy n healthy 9 months
Tee2876
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby manders04 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 am

Thank you, still can't believe it!
manders04
TTC Diva