Spotting from end of AF through O

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Spotting from end of AF through O

Postby loonareclipse » Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:51 am

Hi ladies, I have what seems to be a rare problem (can't find anything about it online and I have tried every combo of Google words possible)...I have very regular cycles (27 days with an 11 day luteal) but for the past year or so I have been spotting a little brown from the end of AF all the way through O. I do get red spotting in ewcm right at O but before that it's gooey brown.

I am afraid this is may mean I'm still breaking down when I should be building up but it's such a mystery! I never mentioned this to my doctor because I figured it was normal but now that I'm ttc I have read here and there that spotting before O is a bad thing.

Anyone else have these issues?
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby socialite_baby » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am

Do you take any blood thinners? Ibuprofen, aspirin (even low dose)? Vitamin E or fish oil? I've had spotting while on medicated cycles. It can be a sign of too much or too little estrogen... Your LP is a little short too which can also be a sign of estrogen dominance/too little progesterone. I would definitely bring it up with your doctor and ask for some blood tests to be run.
Lindsay (Mild Endo, thin PCOS, Hypothyroid, implantation failure)
TTC #1 for 7.5 years...

April - November 2011 - 7 Rounds of 50 mg Clomid, 3 IUIs. All BFN.
February - March, June 2012 - 3 Rounds 5 mg Femara. BFN.
April 2012 - "Immune Protocol" Follistim IUI. BFN.
May 2012 - Diagnosed activated natural killer cells and told we'll NEVER conceive naturally... *treatment break*
October 2015 - IVF #1. OHSS. Freeze all. 9 blasts on ice.
November 2015 - FET #1. BFN.
January 2016 - Holy *NATURAL* BFP!!! WTF?! First ultrasound 2/1/2016. Praying for a healthy sticky baby. <3
socialite_baby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby lreints » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:20 am

I have had this issue on occasion...but not every cycle. Of course when it does happen...I get all excited. I hope you find some answers. Have you discussed this with your Dr?
Lisa - 32
Steve - 32

DS1 - born 12/8/2010

DS2 - born 12/18/2012

No longer TTC#3. I've decided my family is perfect the way it is. I still need to be here to feed my pee stick addiction!
lreints
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby loonareclipse » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:38 pm

Thanks, ladies. I have not brought it up with my doctor yet, although I was just there a month ago. Honestly I didn't realize it was all that abnormal until I started ttc and reading up on it.

The only medication I take is Aleve for cramps, usually just on the first 3 days and not more than the recommended dosage. I take fish oil twice a day as well, although I thought that was a good thing for hormones? I definitely had PMS this time around which is a sign of estrogen dominance although when tested a few months ago my estrogen was in the super healthy range. Progesterone was on the low side but it was not the super scientific 7 dpo test. GYN said she wouldn't trust that number as accurate.

I did read on a message board that another woman who had this was able to treat it with acupuncture, and was told it was a symptom of "kidney yang deficiency" which every acupuncturist I've ever seen has diagnosed me with, as well. Apparently the remedy is eating "warming" foods like ginger, root vegetables, etc. and avoiding raw foods and dairy. Hard to believe that would take care of it but I'm up for trying! I am allergic to dairy anyway but letting go of salads may be tough :wink:
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby laughwithlife » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 pm

This is actually what happened to me this cycle. I am pretty normal when it comes to my cycles. They are usually 28-29 days long, with Oing around CD 13-14. AF usually lasts 5ish days (which includes a few days of spotting at the end). This month was the first time that I continued to spot past those 5 days. I continued to spot from CD 1 to CD 11!! This really freaked me out so I spoke with my doctor about it (didn't get much of an answer) but she told me she thought it was a change in hormones. This could be due to meds, foods, etc, but that "extra" bleeding occurs because your hormones are off that cycle.

I hope this helps :)
<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/37e085">My Ovulation Chart</a>

laughwithlife
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby loonareclipse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm

Thanks, Laugh, I wonder if that's the case for me as well...I have been having this for a year or so though so I wonder if my hormones are permanently off? Hope not! I'm going to the acupuncturist on Saturday so I am hoping they can help me get back on track.

I learned recently that I am severely allergic to dairy and just last month cut it out altogether, that could not have been affecting me well to be constantly dosing myself with an allergen! I'm also taking Vitex hoping to balance things out. Did your doc suggest that you make any changes?
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby laughwithlife » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:26 pm

No, but I have decided to go gluten free this month because I read that a lot of women that are sensitive to gluten have infertility issues. I honestly think going gluten free made me have all the spotting because my system is cleaning itself out, which may make my hormones a little off! I would sat keep going with your dairy free diet and cut out any other foods that may affect you in hopes it will flush out your system. Also, an fyi, several studies I read about say that those that are sensitive or allergic to dairy products are also sensitive to gluten.

Hope this helps :)

laughwithlife
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby loonareclipse » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:19 pm

That correct, and I don't eat gluten either--I cut that out a year ago since I was having so many digestive issues. Turns out dairy was the real culprit and from what I've read casein allergy (what I have) and gluten intolerance go hand in hand. I hope you're right, the spotting could be a cleansing thing. And I know the Vitex takes a while to kick in so perhaps I'm on the mend. I think I'll call the doc just in case she wants to check it out.

Incidentally, your adorable dog looks a LOT like mine! He's a little rescue mutt but people say he looks like a border terrier. He is the best dog on the planet :D
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby laughwithlife » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:07 am

Our dog is technically a terrier mix, but she very much looks like a border terrier. That picture was taken a few years ago when she was a puppy, but today she looks like a full border terrier. You're right, they are the best breed ever! :)

laughwithlife
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Loobynooby » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:14 am

loonareclipse, I have a similar problem, whereby a couple of days after AF disappears I start spotting brown goo (sorry TMI!) :oops: for 2-3 weeks. This has been the case since I started my periods aged 12 (I'm now 29) and was the reaso I was put on the pill aged 14 and didn't come off until I was nearly 28 :omg: (I had breaks occasionally during that time). Docs and gynaes don't seem to be overly bothered by this, though I don't think it can be that normal!) I had a blood test recently to look at my ovaries (though I'm not sure exactly what they were looking for) and it came back normal, though I do have one blocked fallopian tube (hydrosalpinx) so not sure if this has anything to do with it.

We have been ttc for 2 months and are expecting that it might take a while because of my dodgy fallopian tube, but I'm hoping that the other one is OK :praying: .

Anyone else with this problem?

Good luck to you all :)
Loobynooby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby loonareclipse » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 am

Loobynooby it's just nice to know there is someone else out there with this same issue! And it's kind of a comfort to see that you've always been like that with no problems, it just seems like if you've been that way (bcp excepted) that it can't be all that bad, right?! I'm going in for a 7dpo blood draw on Monday, they just want to make sure it's not some type of progesterone shortage. I do have a short-ish luteal phase so that could be it. My acupuncturist also suspects a hormone imbalance. I'm on Vitex now so curious to see if that will make a difference next time. That is, if there is a next time between now and 9 months from now! :wink:
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby Loobynooby » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Loonar it's also a comfort for me to know that I'm not alone! I'm hoping that this spotting doesn't cause problems, but I imagine that if it takes us a long time to conceive the gynae will want to look into it. FX all is ok and good luck to you for a :bfn: soon!
Loobynooby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Loobynooby » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:19 pm

Agh :bfp: even!!! Clicked the wrong one!!! :shock:
Loobynooby
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby loonareclipse » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:32 pm

In case anybody is still following this thread, I finally got my blood test results back and Progesterone is perfectly fine, excellent even! So that is NOT causing the spotting, and my doctor is not worried about it at all.

I guess the final answer is sometimes you just have spotting for a long time and it's no biggie?

Good luck everyone!
loonareclipse
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby KellyGirl882 » Sat May 05, 2012 11:30 pm

Hi loona,

I've also started spotting... if you don't mind me asking - i was wondering if you still bd while spotting? Confused - I typically don't... but somewhere in the thread, i read that some people bd even during af - is it possible? sorry with all these questions!

TIA!
KellyGirl882
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Next

Return to Irregular Cycles