vasectomy

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

vasectomy

Postby sharbanee » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:31 am

What are the medical approved reasons to have a vasectomy? My partner and I have discussed it and we are not interested in having kids, due to many things that have come up. We have went to a vasectomy clinic to see what all we need to do to have one and they told us we weren't able to have a vasectomy because we do not have children yet. Does anyone know what the medical reasons are for not having a vasectomy are?
Last edited by sharbanee on Fri Mar 23, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
sharbanee

Re: vasectomy

Postby Rubyru » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:44 am

sharbanee wrote:What are the medical approved reasons to have a vasectomy? My partner and I have discussed it and we are not interested in having kids, due to many things that have come up. We have went to a vasectomy clinic to see what all we need to do to have one and they told us we weren't able to have a vasectomy because we do not have children yet. Does anyone know what the medical reasons are for not having a vasectomy are?

I think not having children and age are both factors considered. No idea about medical reasons.
Rubyru
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Salix » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:11 pm

In the UK Drs are reluctant to offer vasectomies if you're under 30 (certainy if you're under 25) and don't have any children. I believe it's largely due to people wanting children later in life, and having a vasectomy so young can prove to be a mistake for some (though not all) young couples.

If there are genuine medical concerns about having children I don't see why a Dr would have an issue with performing a vasectomy, especially if the child will be the one impacted (i.e. genetic components etc.), or you are vulnerable to a high-risk pregnancy, but the medical profession have to answer to the GMC. If a couple returns in tears following a vasectomy they now regret, the Dr may be under scrutiny for not explaining the emotional fall outs clearly etc.

I think you can find councelling if you are considering a vasectomy, and that would at least show the Dr that you are serious about the decision, and approaching it in a mature, informed way.

The key point is that they cannot refuse the procedure as such, but they will certainly try and dissuade you if they don't think you fit their eligibility criteria.

Hope that helps, and I hope you get the results you want.
Salix babylonica
Salix
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Return to Irregular Cycles