New Here, Asking a Couple of Questions...

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

New Here, Asking a Couple of Questions...

Postby ExtraSweetPea » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 am

Okay, since I am new to TWW I thought I would post here because no one that I know personally has had irregular periods...I have always had an irregular period, when I was 16 I started birth control to regulate my period, Loestrin 24 Fe. In October I switched to Beyaz. I stopped taking birth control in December. I am now 21 and I have only had two periods since December. My DH and I started TTC after my last period in March.

I would like to ask what the longest cycle you had was and how you dealt with it.

I would also like to ask if my birth control history would have anything to do with how irregular my cycle is now.

Thanks!
ExtraSweetPea
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Cary2012 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:22 am

Hi ExtraSweetPea!

Similarly to you, I always had somewhat irregular periods and went on BCP to regulate. I came off BCP after being on it for about 3 years when I lost insurance. Seriously did not get AF for 5-6 months, then slowly started to regulate with the help of chaste tree extract (vitex). Ended up with 30-35 day cycles for a couple of years. Then I got married and went back on BCP. Came off that after a year and a half, back in August 2011. My cycles are still crazy. Last cycle was 119 days. This cycle is looking to be less than half that since I finally ovulated. I am taking chaste tree again, but I'm not sure whether it is helping as much this time around.

Doctors seem to indicate that coming off bcp can screw with your cycles for up to 6 months, and sometimes up to a year, although most women regulate much sooner. If you Google it, you'll find a lot of women who have had a time of coming off BCP.

Personally, I've found temping to be really helpful since it confirms when you have O'd and helps you to know when to expect AF. I also just started using OPKs which you may find useful since it's hard to know when to BD if your cycles are so crazy. Also, my doctor suggested the most simple solution -- BD 3 times a week. Then you'll be covered for whenever you O since sperm live for about 72 hours and your egg will be good for 12-24 hours.

Didn't mean to write a book, but hope that this is helpful to you. Good luck on your TTC journey!
I'm pregnant! Positive test Memorial Day at 10 DPO!

Trying on and off since August 2011
Chemical 05/03/2013
TTC #1
3 Fur Babies:
2 Crazy Kitties and 1 Energetic Pit Bull/Lab Mix
Cary2012

Postby ExtraSweetPea » Wed May 02, 2012 7:26 am

thank you for all the information! I currently do not trace my BBT...I am going to my next cycle (that is if it ever gets here!) I have been using the OPKs and I got a positive test on April 08, but I have still gotten negative HPTs and still no AF...I'm am at a very confusing time right now!
ExtraSweetPea
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Cary2012 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:42 am

Not a problem! Hope that it helps you.

Some women do get multiple positive OPKs in one cycle. Their bodies gear up to O, but never quite get there. That's part of why temping is nice -- you can confirm that you did O. I'm guessing that your body probably geared up and produced lots of LH but didn't actually O. You might want to start temping now even though it's in the middle of a cycle. It would help to get you in the habit of doing it and you might be able to tell by how high your temps are whether you O'd or not.

Good luck!

Chemical 05/03/2013
TTC #1
3 Fur Babies:
Cary2012

Postby ExtraSweetPea » Thu May 03, 2012 8:39 am

I'm going to, I bought a BBT thermometer yesterday, took my temp this morning before I got out of bed...97.02 is that normal?
ExtraSweetPea
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Cary2012 » Fri May 04, 2012 5:01 am

Yes, that sounds like it is probably a pre-O temp. You'll have to keep temping to be sure, though.

I found average ovulation temps on http://www.askbaby.com/charting-your-bbt.htm which might help give you an idea as to where you are until you've been temping long enough to know how your temps tend to work.

"Average pre-ovulation BBTs typically range between 97deg - 97.7deg and 97.7deg - 99.0deg post-ovulation, although this varies between individuals."

Chemical 05/03/2013
TTC #1
3 Fur Babies:
Cary2012

Return to Irregular Cycles