Advice about periods off of b.c.??

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Advice about periods off of b.c.??

Postby DnS » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm not sure when to expect my first period off of the b.c. I had been on the pill for about 8 or 9 years. I stopped my pack after my last period and now I have been off of it for a month. On the pill, my period would have started yesterday. I have zero symptoms of it right now and this is cycle day 30. I've been using fertility friend to help me zero in on ovulation as well and it says I am 11 dpo. But does anyone have advice on what I should expect with my period off of b.c.? I have no idea if I'm actually late right now or if it's just going to be erratic for awhile... Thank you for any advice you can give ladies!

About Us:
Me: 31
DH: 33
Married Since: 4-5-2008
Known ea. other: 16 years
TTC As Of: June 2012

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/DnS
DnS
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Cary2012 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:26 am

Sorry that no one responded to you sooner. In case you haven't already found the info, AF can be really loopy for awhile after you go off BCP. I think it really depends on the person -- I have friends who instantly became pregnant off of bcp and others who didn't ovulate (and go on to get AF) for months afterwards.

If you're looking to start ttc right away, you might want to use both opks and temping to zero in on when to pinpoint ovulation and expect AF. FF can be a really useful tool once you've been using it awhile so that it knows what normal cycles are like for you. Until then, it's just going to be estimating O dates based upon average cycles.

Good luck!
I'm pregnant! Positive test Memorial Day at 10 DPO!

Trying on and off since August 2011
Chemical 05/03/2013
TTC #1
3 Fur Babies:
2 Crazy Kitties and 1 Energetic Pit Bull/Lab Mix
Cary2012

Postby DnS » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:22 am

Thank you for the info. I actually got AF yesterday =( So it was only about 3 days late off of the b.c. I guess that's good in a way since now I know my cycle is happening, even after many, many years on b.c. But I was kind of hoping to be one of those people who it happened to right away before I even got a cycle. Oh well. So about the opks. Where do you get them and how do they work? I've been temping since my last cycle began, so this will be my second cycle to temp but I've never done the opks before.

Oh and I will be going to one of 2 baby showers this month, today. One of the 3 friends of mine who got preggo instantly off of b.c. Both are my age so I guess that's part of the reason I had my hopes up. Another friend took about 2 1/2 to 3 months though so maybe that will be my situation.

Thanks again for any info. Good luck to you!

About Us:
Me: 31
DH: 33
Married Since: 4-5-2008
Known ea. other: 16 years
TTC As Of: June 2012

http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/DnS
DnS
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby Cary2012 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:40 am

No problem. Glad to hear AF paid you a visit to the extent that at least you know your body is trying to get back on track.

The Wondfo OPKs work well for me and a lot of the girls on this site. You can get them on Amazon for an incredibly cheap price. They work by detecting LH (luteinizing hormone) which surges just before ovulation. The test strips are unlike hpts in that the test line needs to be as dark or darker than the control line to be considered positive. It is generally better to test later in the day. Some women have really short surges and others have ones that last a couple of days. It just depends. When you first start using them, testing 2-3 times a day starting a few days before you think you might ovulate will help you to figure out how long your surge normally is and how often to test the next cycle. As soon as you are starting to see the surge, bd until or a day or so after you see your ovulation temp rise. The opks can be really helpful if AF is still a little whacky, especially since they are so cheap.

Sorry that I've written a book. Hopefully it's helpful to you. If you have any questions, let me know. :)

Oh, I completely understand about the instant babies some people get from going off bcp! It's enough to drive you batty sometimes even when you are really happy for them!

Good luck!
I'm pregnant! Positive test Memorial Day at 10 DPO!

Trying on and off since August 2011
Chemical 05/03/2013
TTC #1
3 Fur Babies:
2 Crazy Kitties and 1 Energetic Pit Bull/Lab Mix
Cary2012

Return to Irregular Cycles