TTC after birth control

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TTC after birth control

Postby babydust530 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:45 am

Hello ladies,

I wanted to start a new discussion board for women that are TTC#1 after taking birth control pills. I've been very frustrated and going through an emotional rollercoaster since I stopped Trisprintec in January 2014. It has been 9 months, and I still don't think that I've ovulated. I was on the pill for 8 years, and prior to being on the pill I had my period on a regular basis (some times a few days apart, but I still had a period every month). I'm hoping that we can share our experiences and struggles, and hopefully get through this difficult time together.

I would love to hear from women that are still trying to conceive their first child after birth control, and those that were able to conceive after birth control. I look forward to hearing from you ladies.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Re: TTC after birth control

Postby kflores31 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:56 pm

Hi babydust!
I'm in the same boat as you! My DH and I aren't actively TCC, rather we are NTNP, but I am using this time to try to figure out my body and hopefully regulate! I was on bcp for 10 years and stopped taking it in February of this year. Since coming off, my cycles have been getting longer and longer. Went from 30, to 35, to 40, to 43, to 45... Like you, I suspect that I'm not ovulating either. What I find most strange is that when I was on the pill I had SO many PMS symptoms! Boobs hurt, cramps, moody, cravings, acne, ect... but, now that im off the pill, NOTHING! Don't get me wrong, I like it, but I have this gut feeling that it means something is wrong! I read a lot about Vitex, so this is the first cycle I am trying it. I started taking it mid-cycle so I'm not expecting it to fully work for a few months, but I THINK I finally ovulated!! For two days I had mild cramping in my left abdomen. I am crossing my fingers that what I felt was ovulation! I haven't experienced any other cramps since being off the pill, so I am hopeful! It has been 12 days since the cramps and I started spotting yesterday, so I am hoping that it is the start of AF and it can confirm that what I thought was ovulation was really ovulation! I owe it to Vitex if that is the case! I also bought some Wondfo OPK's to use next cycle to confirm ovulation.
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:33 am

Hi kflores,

Thank you for sharing your story! It's nice to know that someone can relate to what I'm going through. Fingers crossed that you ovulated! My cycles have been all over the place: 19, 11, 35, 38, 96, 15. Unlike you, I've actually had constant cramping throughout my cycle on my left abdomen, but still not ovulated. If you haven't done so yet, I would suggest starting to chart you BBT. This will help you understand your cycle better and also determine whether or not you ovulated.

How is Vitex working out for you? What form are you taking? How many per day? I tried Vitex back in June, but stopped after 1 month because my doctor was skeptical (as most western medicine doctors are). He said he had never heard of it. My husband got a little nervous and encouraged me to stop taking it. I don't know if its coincidence or not but that cycle was 90 days long and I needed provera to induce my period. I am considering trying vitex again, but this time sticking with it for at least 3-4 months (which is the recommended amount of time for Vitex to work in your system). It's just hard making a decision that both my husband and I are comfortable with. I wish western medicine doctors would familiarize themselves with more natural remedies, so people can make a more informed decision.

I also use Wonfo OPK. I like them because they are so cheap, but I have a hard time knowing if the test line is as dark as the control line. I think I may switch back to first response opk for next month. If you don't mind me asking, what were your cycles like prior to birth control?
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:06 pm

I take Nature's Way Vitex. They are 400mg capsules and I take 2 a day, every day. I really think it did help me ovulate, as I haven't had any cramping since coming off of the pill until now. But I am still waiting to start AF. I thought it was starting the other day when I spotted, but I still haven't started. I wiped last night and had a nice amout of fresh red blood, but never made it to the panty liner. Since then I have had nothing, not even brown spotting. Strange. Just hoping AF would show so I can get on with my next cycle and trying the Wondfo's. My cycles prior to bcp were very heavy and long (almost to the point of excessive bleeding). I think I had only been having a period for two years when I started taking bcp, so to be quite honest I don't remember many details other than it being very heavy and lasting 7+ days.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 6:22 am

That was the same brand vitex I was taking. As I mentioned in my last post you might want to consider tracking your bbt. It's really a great way to know if you ovulated or not. Also, you might want to take a pregnancy test just to make sure you are not pregnant. Some women experience spotting in early pregnancy. I wonder if the spotting could also be implantation bleeding? Fingers crossed for you!
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:29 pm

I am considering tracking bbt. Just waiting on AF to start the new cycle!
I took a test with FMU and BFN :( I'm keeping my fingers crossed that what I had was implantation, but not feeling too hopeful.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:13 am

BBT has definitely helped reduce some of the disappointment I feel when I get BFN. With an irregular cycle its so tough, because whenever AF is late I would think that I was pregnant, I then I would be so discouraged when I got a BFN. But now, that I started charting I know I'm not pregnant and that I haven't ovulated. Although, I have my bad days too, it at least helps soften the blow. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Generally, it takes 1 week and over to get a positive pregnancy test after implantation occurs. You could have tested too early. What day in your cycle are you?
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 9:28 am

Oh gosh, I'm like CD 46 or something like that. Longest cycle so far. I felt pains on my lower left abdomen on CD 31-32 so I'm assuming I ovulated sortly after that, but I have no way of being sure since I'm not tracking BBT. On CD 42 I had tan cm then on CD 43 I had one spurt of red blood only when I wiped, then nothing ever since. I constantly feel like I'm about to start AF, but nothing.
It seems like temping is the best option to know whether I ovulate or not. I'm tired of the guessing game. Do you use a basil thermometer or just a regular one?

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:57 am

it's important to use a basal thermometer. I bought mine on amazon. The regular ones aren't sensitive enough to detect the temp shift. Also make sure that you temp at the same time each day, first thing in the morning. IT's important to take your temp before you even get out of bed, because the temp is so sensitive that if you move around (go to bathroom, talk, etc) prior to temping it can impact the accuracy. The one hard thing is having to wake up at 7:30am on weekends to temp. But I temp and just go right back to sleep. If you wake up earlier during the week, then set your alarm for that time.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Okay. Yeah, tracking bbt kind of intimidates me! I feel like I'm going to screw it up somehow or another! FX for both of us and our crazy cycles!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 am

Don't let it intimidate you. It's a lot easier than it sounds. Some women find it stressful and stop, others find it helpful and reassuring. If you start and realize that it's stressing you out more, than I would just stop. Any updates with your cycle? I have my follow-up doctor's appt this Thursday.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Not too many updates here. I took a FRER on Friday but it was negative. I thought I was starting AF on Saturday when I starting having some brown spotting, but that was short lived and I have had nothing since. If I ovulated when I suspect I did, I should have started AF by now, either that or I would have gotten a positive FRER. My body must just be having more issues. I keep telling myself to wait it out, but I think I should just go to the doctor already and see if there is anything I can take to jumpstart my period. :cry:

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 4:39 pm

It doesn't hurt to schedule a doctor's appt. As I mentioned before I needed provera to jump start my 90 day cycle. I know how frustrating it is. I just wish my period would start too. Even though I had my provera induced period, I'm back in the same place as before....no ovulation, no period. :(
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:30 pm

Hi ladies, I'm new to ttcing but we are currently on a break due to not getting my period and wedding planning. A little about me and my fiance, Im 32 he's 36- we've been together for almost 11 years now and I just got bc in November 2013. I seemed to get my periods fine up until March, we also at that time stopped using protection. i thought i was pregnant and we took multiple test, all BFN. I had my annual ob appt told her i hadn't been getting my periods so she did a blood test which came back neg. as well. So i was put on provera for 10 days, i got my period for about 3 months then nothing at all, not even a drop of blood. I had some other health issues in between this but shouldn't of affected my period. Also my thryoid was check and is normal. Went back to my OB for a follow up, a few weeks ago which put me at CD 68! Waiting on some other results before i see if she puts me back on provera. Also ive been noticing these tiny red pinhead dots on my body, wondering if there is to much of something in my body that is making me not get my period? Estrogen? Progestrogne?! Anyone else have this issue?
its a...BOY!!!Due Oct 30th! :)

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby kflores31 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:36 pm

Yeah, I may as well end up just scheduling an appointment... trying to save my money for as long as I can. I still feel like something is different. I've been having dull cramps in my lower left abdomen again all day, and pulling/stretching feeling in my lower left back area. The side of my left boob is sore today. No more spotting. After using the restroom, wiped and had a big glob of yellow/creamy cm. Maybe I'm not out yet? Who knows with the timing of this all. I may take another test tomorrow, because well, why not!? haha thats what the ICs are for!

Hi Isis,
I feel your frustration with the whole thing. I have not experienced any red dots on my body, I would definitely get that checked out!!

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to Irregular Cycles