TTC after birth control

Come and meet others who are dealing with irregular cycles. Compare charts and get support!

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Re: TTC after birth control

Postby babydust530 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm

Hi Isis,

Welcome to the group!! I think we are all is a very similar place, which is the reason why I wanted to start this discussion board. It amazes me how much my body has changed since coming off the pill. Did your doctor check your progestorone? Are you charting bbt? As I mentioned to kflores, charting my bbt has helped me confirm what I knew: that I'm not ovulating. I was on provera for 5 days, had my progestorone induced af 3 days after I took the last pill. Then bled again 15 days later. Now it's been 24 days since I bleed last, but my bbt has remained low which tells me that even though I bleed 2 weeks ago, it was not due to ovulation. I have a doctor's appt this Thursday. I'll keep you ladies posted on what he says.

Sidenote: just found out today that 3 girls I know are pregnant. Maybe it's just me, but ever since I started trying, it feels like everyone is pregnant except for me. I know rationally this isn't the case, but I can't help but feel "when will it be my turn?!"
Me: 32
DH: 32
Our little girl is 17-months old (born Oct. 2015)
BFP on 4/5/17 (est. due date 12/18/17)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:16 am

Hi Babydust,
No i have not had my progesterone tested yet, and i have never charted my bbt either. We had only been really trying for about 2 months using opks which did show i was ovulating even not getting my period?! Wondering if it was false positives. We picked a wedding date in the Dominican in May and if we were pregnant now that would kind of ruin those plans. I do plan on starting to chart my temps after the new year. I'm more concerned about what is going on with my body...it was perfect on the pill no issues at all! Now no peroid, and break outs on my back which i never had. I am waiting on my second round of results from a colposcopy i had done a few weeks back from an abnormal pap so I'm wondering if my OB will put me back on provera to induce my period?

I am seeing my regular Dr next Thursdays who also does paps, so I'm thinking she might have some answers for me my OB and i hadn't discussed(due to my colposcopy being more important talk at that time) and she can test all my hormone levels, etc.

I hear ya on the people getting pregnant I feel the same way. I will keep my fingers crossed for the both of us.
its a...BOY!!!Due Oct 30th! :)

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby babydust530 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:58 am

It is possible to get a positive OPK and not ovulate, it has happened to me before. OPK's can only detect a surge that indicates ovulation is likely to take place, but it does not indicate whether or not ovulation actually happened. BBT on the other hand, can confirm that ovulation did take place by showing you a thermal shift after ovulation. Best of luck with your doctor's appointment! Congratulations on the upcoming wedding! :)
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:17 am

Oh babydust,
I am right there with you. Two of my close friends have started TTC and I feel like it has put such the pressure on me cause we all want to have kids around the same time as each other. One just got off the pill about 3 months ago, and her period went right back to being a perfect 28 day cycle :( I'm just so discouraged. One of my other friends just had her baby a few weeks ago, it took her about a year to conceive and she had PCOS.

I get a sense that provera is just a temporary fix to a bigger problem. Wish there was something we could do to get our bodies back into the swing of things. How long have you been off the pill again??

Isis,
Good luck at your appointment and upcoming wedding! A hormone check would be helpfull. I'm thinking about getting the same done.
Me: 25 | DH: 26
Nov 2014: Dx PCOS
Jan 2015: 1500mg Metformin
6/14/15: BFP :)

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:48 am

Hi ladies! Thanks so much for the advice, I agree provera seems temporary, and at my age 32 and df 36 our window of fertility is closing in. I am defintately going to ask my Dr to do a hormone check, maybe being on the pill for so long about 10 years off an on(mostly on) my body isnt sure how to deal with it all. Ive been off the pill since November 2013. I have never been diagnosed with anything yet, i did have an internal ultrasound about a year ago and everything looked good, i was having mild pain during intercourse sometimes so they wanted to check and make sure, I cant imagine much change after being off the pill, but maybe?! Just wanting my cycle back first and regular so can breathe again! And have one less thing to worry about.

thanks so much for the wedding congrats! we are super excited about it! :)

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby kflores31 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:53 am

Yeah, I was on the pill for 10 years straight! I stopped taking it in Feb to see how my body would react in hopes of TTC soon. But looks like I have a long road ahead of me. I think mine must be hormone related. I also had an internal ultrasound done about a year ago because a few times after BD I like gushed blood. It wasn't painful, but it was VERY strange. Only happened twice, but I told myself that if it happened the second time that I would go in to see someone. The Dr. didn't find anything wrong, just said it may have been stress related, and I assume that if I had cysts or endo, they would have told me at that time.

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:40 am

Yes Kflores i would think if it was serious they would have told you too. Ive been mostly straight 10 years too mean off and on like off two months back on again. Im starting to think mine might be hormone related as well, im waiting on a call from my obgyn from some results so i think i might ask some questions while i have her on the phone. i know most people dont want to see their period but i DO! if we dont get it we dont ovulate right?! ahh

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby kflores31 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:29 am

EXACTLY! how can we TTC when we can't even ovulate and get a darn period?! Its SO frustrating!! Girls on a 28 day cycle have 12 times a year to try to get pregnant. At my rate, I'm looking at 6 or 7 times a year to possibly get pregnant. :(

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby babydust530 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:34 am

Hi ladies,
So here is my update. I had my doctor's follow up appointment today. My blood work came back normal, except that my total testosterone was a bit elevated. My doc said it could just be a "fluke" type thing; that everyone is different, or it could be early stages of PCOS. Although he doesn't think that this is what it is, because my ultrasound was normal and my other blood work was normal. I've been off the pill since January 2014. I had an ultrasound in April that showed a small simple cyst on my left ovary. My follow up ultrasound in July showed the cyst was gone, but my doctor told me that my hormone levels are probably still balancing out from the cyst. Internally, he said everything looks good. Here is his plan for me: wait 2 more months and continue to track my period (or lack there of). If there has been no change in 2 months (which would be 11 months of being off the pill), he said he wants to do another ultrasound, blood work again, and start me on provera to induce a period and clomid to assist with ovulation.
Part of me is happy that he has a plan, but part of me is a little bummed that I may need to take clomid to ovulate. I don't like the idea of taking medications or anything artificial, but if that's what it takes to get pregnant I'm up for the challenge.

I would really suggest both of you to speak to your doctor, it was reassuring to hear there is a plan in place. I also found it helpful to write down all of my questions on a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget to ask him anything.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:14 am

Hi girls,
Its weird like i said my period was normal for 3 months after getting off BC then out of nowhere gone.
Babydust im glad your blood work and cyst are normal and gone! Provera wasn't something i wanted to be on either, my Dr thought it would boost my periods to start coming regular after being on the pill for soo many years, but i might have to do a few more rounds for that to happen or maybe one more time will do the trick in jump starting it. I think your Dr is great making this plan for you, i think because we have no immediate plans on ttc for the next few months, were not-not trying, I'm more focused on getting my cycle back and making sure I'm just healthy in general. I will however ask my regular Dr next week to run all the blood work needed to make sure things are normal.

Klores, i sometimes feel like well if i wasn't on BC for so long or at all even i wouldn't have any issues. But trying to protect yourself and knowing your not ready to have a baby at a certain age seems to really be messing with us now!

Good luck ladies!

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby babydust530 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 pm

Isis, that is exactly what happened with me. When I first went off the pill I had my period for about 3 months (my cycles were a little long- around 30ish days, but I was still getting a period, and then it just stopped. My doctor said the reason for this is that I may have still had synthetic hormones in my system (from the pill) which was allowing me to bleed every month. Once the artificial hormones were completely gone, it seems my period stopped. I really admire and praise you for your patience of first wanting to regulate your cycles before trying to conceive. I really wish I had that patience. I also completely agree with what you said about BC. I get frustrated sometimes too, asking myself "why did I take BC and do this to my body?!" But, then again I remind myself that I was being responsible and at that time was not financially or emotionally ready for a child. I think you made such a great choice to stop BC prior to getting married. I wish I did the same. I didn't stop until I was married for 2.5 years. Once you are married the annoying questions about "when are you going to have a baby?" begin and it just adds to the stress.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby kflores31 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:03 pm

hi girls,
Interesting doc info babydust! And now that you girls have brought it up, ironically enough, I can say I had the same experience (or having the same experience). First few months off the pill I had a period and blood flow, 30 day cycle, then 40 day cycle, then 43 day cycle, then my last 45 day cycle was just merely spotting for two weeks straight, never a full flow, so who knows if I should even call it its own cycle. And now, I'm on 50 or so days since that "45"day cycle and the past two weeks I've had a little bit of spotting off and on, but not much else. So really, I could technically be on 90 or so cycle days since a "real" period. Seems like your doc might be right as in the hormones are still in our system to help us have our period the first few months... and now, nada. Is there something we can take to help our bodies start producing on their own??? Like you, I'd rather not jump to the clomid answer. Hense the reason i'm currently trying Vitex. I agree with babydust, good for you Isis on thinking of this before the wedding and getting a jump start on everything. Its such a shame that we all chose to be responsible and prevent pregnancy, but now that we actually want one, we can't :(
Another girl I know just announced her pregnancy yesterday... another one bites the dust... its such an awful feeling :(

kflores31
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Hi all, Babydust, ive been with my df for 10.5 years trust me we've had our fair share of people asking "when are you getting married" "when are you going to have a baby". At our age i just said now were engaged we need to get off the pill and see what happens. Df wasnt a fan of getting off the pill for a longgggg time, kinda bummed me out because if i had it my way id be off it a long time ago. But finally we decided lets try it out, if a baby happens is does, he was pretty surprised it didnt happen right away. Me too and didnt realize things could/take so long since no one in my family had a hard time getting pregnant.

Kflores, i feel your pain of the real period, i havent even had a spot since July, this would make me CD 80 i think since the first day of my last period. And even then it barley bleed a whole day and just left over blood for 3 days. But my dr said to consider it a flow. Im not on anything to help get my period just on a prenatal and trying to eat somewhat healthier.

Keep your head up ladies, things will turn around when you least expect it!

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

Postby babydust530 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:22 pm

It's crazy how similar our stories are. Isis, my husband too wasn't a fan of going off the pill, which is why I waited so long. Same as you, no one in our family's had any difficulties conceiving.
kflores, as far as I've read some of the things a woman can do to try to get her body back to normal is to eat a healthy diet (try to stay away from saturated fats, sugar, caffeine), reduce the amount of alcohol (I've been pretty bad about this one..lol), exercise regularly but don't over exercise, take pre-natal vitamins, and most importantly reduce stress (which is the hardest one)--I've been going to acupuncture, journaling, and yesterday started seeing a counselor that specializes in infertility (even though I haven't received the diagnosis, I figure all of these things would help reduce my stress). Vitex and fertalaid are popular for balancing women's cycle irregularities, but as I mentioned my husband gets nervous with trying anything our doctor doesn't know that much about- but I've heard many women report success stories from both.
It really is an awful feeling when someone announces their pregnancy. You want to be happy for them, but then again you cant help but to feel jealous or like there is something wrong with you. Two things that I'm trying to do to counter that feeling is: 1. remind myself that most women that have trouble conceiving tend to do it in private, therefore the only news we hear are those that get pregnant right away not the ones that tried for a while. 2. starting this week I've made the conscious effort to stay away from social media--all of the birth, pregnancy announcements, baby pictures, and "motherhood is the most amazing feeling in the world" crap was starting to drive me a little crazy. I realized that nobody is going to post "my child is driving me nuts" or "my husband and I haven't had any time together" on facebook.
Lastly, I really try to remember that once the baby comes, it will never be just my husband and I again. SO we are trying to enjoy this time as much as possible (go on vacations, date nights, do whatever we want).

Of course, I have my bad days too (I'm sure you ladies will get the pleasure of hearing those too---lol), but these are the things I try, keyword try to remind myself of.
babydust530
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby isis0228 » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:36 am

I've also just been trying to live a stress free life and get as much time alone as my DF and I can get. We had a dog for 11 years who we recently had put down so in a way we felt like doggy parents for a long time. With out her it was so quiet in our house, we know that were ready for a baby but things will happen when they will. Sometimes over thinking and stressing will be the the worse things we can do. Be happy and healthy(if you can) and get as much "us" time now while we can! Im glad you getting all the emotional help you need during this time. Sometimes its better to get advice and talk to someone who doesn't directly know you to get a better answer or point of view of any situation you might be in.
For me im fairly the youngest in my family so most of my cousins, etc already have and are done with children, so i don't often here so and so is pregnant again, at least not now since ive been off BC. DF and i already talked about if we dont have kids we dont, if its not in the books for us thats ok too..just knowing you have support is good enough feeling to know you can be happy either way! :)

Hope you ladies have a great weekend!

Ps how old is everyone and their DH's again?

isis0228
TTC Queen
TTC Queen

PreviousNext

Return to Irregular Cycles