Thoughts on dairy?

This board is for anyone who wants to discuss TTC naturally with herbal supplements, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Thoughts on dairy?

Postby JMS » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

When I first went to acupuncture, one of the first things I was given was a list of foods I should and shouldn't eat while TTC. One of the things she wants me to avoid is dairy. I have been reluctant to do it because I really love cheese. :) However, this cycle I thought I should try to follow her diet a little better.

But, I have read several articles that say that while lowfat dairy can be bad for fertility, full fat dairy can actually be good for fertility. So I don't know what to do. Do I eliminate dairy or just limit myself to some full fat dairy products?

I hate some of the conflicting information that is out there.
JMS
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby halifax41 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:16 am

Chinese medicine generally seems to advise little dairy, this may be because a large % of Asian population has lactose intolerance, whereas those of European descent are generally lactose tolerant and dairy is a common part of our diet. Unless you have known issues from consuming dairy products I see no valid reason to cut them out. They are a good source of calcium and protein and there have been studies suggesting that full fat dairy is good for fertility.
Me- 46 DH- 45 DS 1
:angel: girl on July 2008 at 19 weeks, Triploidy.
:angel: May 2010 MM/C @11 weeks
Aug 2010 "chemical"
:angel: October 2010 M/C @ 7 weeks.

:angel: :angel: Feb 2011 MM/C @ 10 weeks, this time twins.
July 2011 "chemical"
+HPT Sept 27/2011
Finally success, baby boy arrived June 08/2012, born after 37 hours of labor and unexpected c-section.
halifax41
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby AnnaJuly » Wed Mar 07, 2012 11:35 pm

halifax41 wrote:Chinese medicine generally seems to advise little dairy, this may be because a large % of Asian population has lactose intolerance, whereas those of European descent are generally lactose tolerant and dairy is a common part of our diet. Unless you have known issues from consuming dairy products I see no valid reason to cut them out. They are a good source of calcium and protein and there have been studies suggesting that full fat dairy is good for fertility.

That makes sense. Could also have to do with hormones in milk. I have seen a lot of organic milk now available. I would use whole organic.
Good luck :)
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Liza24 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:37 pm

yea, i went from 2% to Whole milk, as i only use it as a glass of milk with breakfast, or for cereal.

I also have my son on it as he is a super picky eater and getting calories into him is a chore lol.
Me:32
DH:43
(BFP!!! 2/9/2009!!!)
ITS A BOY!!!!!!! * Connor Mason* Born 9/22/2009- 7lb 10 oz!
**Chemical Aug 2010**
TTC#2!!!
http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/121846
Liza24
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:34 am

I found the follwoing article that may be of some use:

"Chinese diagnosis of endometriosis, says you should eliminate dairy from your diet completely. Some research has shown that dairy products may increase prostaglandins, which stimulate estrogen. Estrogen is responsible for common endometrial symptoms such as painful menstrual cramps, as well as menorrhagia (heavy menses), diarrhea, nausea and vomiting. In Chinese Medicine, dairy products are thought to create a dampness (mucous) that interferes with the flow of energy through the body, creating stagnation." but then the article continues to say use whole milk not low fat.

http://acubalance.ca/fertility-diet/acu ... /dairy-pro
Me 42 in September 2012 ~DH 35 in June 2012 ~DS 2 in July 2012
Angel #1 March 2008 6 weeks 6 days
Angel # 2 May 2011 6 weeks 2 days
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC Naturally