Maca, Wheat Grass and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

This board is for anyone who wants to discuss TTC naturally with herbal supplements, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Maca, Wheat Grass and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:47 am

I was wondering what people thought of Maca, Wheat grass and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea.

I am 42 and TTC # 2. My DH and I have unexplained fertility and completed multiple IUI's and RE wanted us to move to IVF (but we can't afford it). Since RE won't treat us we are trying naturally. So I am trying Maca, Wheat Grass and Red Raspberry Leaf Tea to restore egg quality.

Any experiences positive or negative would be helpful and I am trying to figure out the best natural approach to TTC # 2
Me 42 in September 2012 ~DH 35 in June 2012 ~DS 2 in July 2012
Angel #1 March 2008 6 weeks 6 days
Angel # 2 May 2011 6 weeks 2 days
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

What I'm doing . . .

Postby Debr » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:40 am

We are trying to do things naturally as well. I've done some reading up on the natural side of things, so I'll share what I do (bear in mind it can take 3 months to "grow a good egg" so give it some time): I take basic vitamins to cover my health such as prenatal vitamin, calcium, magnesium, iron (I have anemia) and then for fertility I take 500 mg of Maca twice a day, 500 mg of Inositol twice a day, Royal Jelly (I get it in honey and put it on toast), CoEnzyme Q10, Evening Primrose Oil before ovulation and Flax Seed Oil after ovulation, Omega-3 Fish Oil, a B-complex vitamin and I wash it all down with grapefruit juice. I've tried really hard to get myself in good shape: good food, keeping weight controlled (always a struggle), exercise and reducing my stress. I've been looking a acupuncture as well.

It seemed like a crazy lot of supplements to take but my cycle did improve. I had to add Vitex the last month because I was starting to accumulate anovulatory cycles (headed for 2 in a row) and that helped a lot to balance me out.

I'm working on some of the things I read in the "Stay Fertile Longer" book by Mary Kittel that I borrowed from the library (yoga, visualization, etc.)

Hope it helps!
Deb

Me: 41
DH: 40
Angel baby: 05/04/2006 Loss at 10 weeks
DS: 5
TTC #2 since 12/2007
Debr

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 am

Thanks Debr, have you heard of taking dong Quai aftre OV to help with implantation? I read it helped with implantation AND then I read it shouldn't be taken if pregnant!
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missymoo3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:26 am

Hi ladies,

I am 41 and also looking into things to help as I have just had 2 miscarriages. Have either of you looked at a site called www.naturalfertilityshop.com ? I have been looking at the egg health support as it seems to really help the blood supply to the eggs and seems to be aimed at older women.

Has anyone else looked at this? I was looking at the maca on the site too and something called DIM which helps when your hormones are not balanced.

Any thoughts?
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:48 am

Missy, thats the same site i used as a starting point for my research. You may also want to research CoEnzymeQ10. My RE told me of a Canadian study where women over 40 were put on 200 mg of oEnzymeQ10 3x daily:

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Health/201112 ... ty-111226/

Dr. Casper is one of Canada's leading researchers in fertility.

The CoQ10 is suppose to "energize" your eggs. My RE said miscarriages happen in women over 40 due to their "older" eggs do not have the "energy" to sustain a pregnancy.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missymoo3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:42 pm

Hi TTCnumber2

We are the same age, I am 42 in October. Many thanks for your post. I have had a good look at the coenzyme10q and it looks really interesting.

I have, just earlier on, ordered quite a lot of stuff from the naturalfertilityshop.com: I have ordered the 'improve egg health kit' which consists of a multivitamin, L-arginine (improves blood flow to ovaries etc), antioxidants, Maca (I know you are trying this too), and royal jelly.

Then on top of that I hafve orderd the ultragreens and the fertility massage.

Needless to say I have not told my other half everything I have ordered! It's a bit mad isn't it?

I don't know if I would be going over the top in taking the coenzymeq10 too. But could you tell me what brand you take? If it helps prevent the miscarriages due to age, that would be wonderful.

I was told just last week that I was carrying an empty sac (at 8 weeks) and I have to go back in 9 days for a further scan. (Basically to confirm the blighted ovum). Then I suppose I will start taking the supplements after the D&C, or maybe before that if they come through earlier.

What is odd is that I have taken a pregnancy test tonight, just to see if the line is lighter since any pregnancy symptoms I had have gone away. But the pregnancy line is absolutely solid. So my hgc levels must still be very high.

Thanks for your help.
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby missymoo3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:21 pm

Hi ttcnumber2

Me again! I have just ordered some Lamberts CoenzymeQ10, thinking it can't hurt. My tablets will come in 200mg. How much do you take each day? Do you take the full 600mg that was talked about in the article? Also do you know if you are meant to take it everyday, and do you carry on taking it if you get pregnant? Many thanks for your help.
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 2:57 pm

Hi Missymoo3, I take 3x200 mg daily with my meals. I was told to stop once pregnant.

As for your m/c again I am very sorry but if you can please keep me posted on your TTC journey as we have a lot of similarities. I too m/c one year ago but at 6 weeks 6 days molar pregnancy/empty sac. I started again to TTC 2 months later as I opted not to D&C and to m/c naturally.

I was also taking royal jelly but kept feeling my throat constrict .. doh after further research i found those will be allergies should not take so i had to discontinue.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missymoo3 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:10 pm

Hi TTCnumber2, thanks for the information. I will definitely keep you posted and you are right, we do have a lot in common. I had another miscarriage last year at 15 weeks, and I suppose have become a little bit obsessed with anything that can help since losing this last one just last week. It has made me think I can't carry a baby on my own.

Hoping to hear that you get good news really soon. I will let you know if I think any of the supplements have been beneficial.
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:25 am

Missymoo, I have only been on the Maca, Wheatgrass (I am dropping this after I finish the bottle), green tea, red raspberry leaf tea before O this cycle so it is still too early to tell.

BFN this morning at 13DPO ... I'm so depressed I thought the symptoms I was having for sure was leading to a BFP I guess I must get myself all worked up and I am so intune with my body that every little twinge, pull, etc makes me think this is the month. :cry:

I am awaiting the Fertility Tea and FertileCM and PreSeed which shipped April 9. I am hoping this will help because I do not notice the EWCM before O and sometimes after BD I feel acidy so I know the sperm can not live or travel well in a hostile environment like that. And deep down inside I feel my "unexplained infertility" is due to aging eggs (only makes sense) and my immune system (which I hardly ever get sick) .. it's like my body is fighting the foreign substatnce (sperm) that is why the IUI worked with my DS on first try and an IUI worked after my DS (secoond try) but I miscarried. Then the next 6 IUI's didn't work and my RE said he didn't want to take my money anymore so we won't treat me unless we move IVF which we can't afford.

I am also loosing weight ... I've lost 15 lbs since January 9 so far and have cut my coffee intake in 1/2. I quit smoking after I heard I was pregnant with DS and I don't drink alcohol. I'm hoping all of these changes lead to a BFP.... I mean if Halifax and Fittblonde can do at 42 why can't I! Plus I secretly would love to go back to my Fertility Clinic and say oh by the way, I got pregnant naturally and didn't need IVF after all!

Sorry for the rambling, I am trying to talk my way into a postive frame of mind instead of dwelling on my BFN this morning.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missymoo3 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:23 am

Hi ttcnumber2@42

Oh its awful when you get a BFN isn't it? Always incredibly depressing. Feel free to rant away. I think you're doing the right thing by taking the fertile CM and preseed. I have some preseed upstairs and haven't ever used it, but I've read great reviews about it on amazon. I read about the fertile CM too, that site seems to have some really great stuff (if expensive).

Well this is another cycle and you'll be trying something new with the preseed and fertile CM, so you've got an advantage over other cycles.

Plus I read that it takes the CoEnzymeQ10 3 months to work because that is how long it takes to make an egg. How long have you been on it?

I am quite overweight too. I went a bit mad with exercice after my first miscarriage but before I conceived again, and I wondered if it messed with my ovulation which seemed delayed. It's hard to win, isn't it? You try and lose weight and then it goes against you! I'm trying with diet too - have been making smoothies for breakfast.

You will be down, we always are after a BFN aren't we, but you'll feel better in a few days and ready to try again.
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:17 am

Thanks missymoo3 I tested again just to put myself through the agony again and got a BFN but my temp hasn't dropped yet. Perhaps since this is the first month after going to the RE my cycle is back to 30+ days and not 28 days with all the fertility drugs I was taking (Letrazole~ still taking; Menopur~injectable and Puregon~Injectable; Prometrium ~still taking).

I still ahve some symptoms but they can be chaulked up to PMS ... I'm still in denial until AF comes or my temp drops.

Thanks so much for the shoulder to cry on and especially the words of encouragement.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:18 am

Oops forgot to tell you I have been on CoEnzyme Q10 200 mg x 3 daily stil November 2010 so I agree it will take some time to build up in your system.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby missymoo3 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 4:36 am

I just posted this morning on the trying to conceive naturally that I had started taking CoQ10 today as they arrived today. Am also trying 3 x 200mg/day as that seems to be the recommended dose for 'improving eggs'. It's a heck of a high dose though when the tubs say 200mg max. Not to mention so expensive. I haven't told my other half I have bought them!

Well you're right, you're not out till your period comes. It's annoying though when you think you're out and your period doesn't come because you just want to start the next cycle! Could your ovulation have been a bit later than you thought? I've never temped, only done OPKs.
missymoo3
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby TTCnumber2at42 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:02 am

I knw the CoQ10 is expensive but I figure if my RE recommended I would stick it out for 1 year to see. I also confirmed the dosage 2x with my RE because I felt it was high too and he actually wrote it down for me .....

I used temp and OPK to predict O and even FF saud I O'd when I thought (still it could be I O'd late I suppose) but still now 1 day late and no AF I'll retest tomorrow. My temp was still high this morning so 15DPO now with a high temp. I'm not getting my hopes up though.
My Ovulation Chart
TTCnumber2at42
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Next

Return to TTC Naturally