Thyroid cysts - ***UPDATE***

This board is for anyone who wants to discuss TTC naturally with herbal supplements, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Thyroid cysts - ***UPDATE***

Postby Ravyndancer » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:05 pm

I have 11 cysts on my thyroid, some up to almost 2 cm in diameter!

My medical doctor's plan was to wait 6 months and do a repeat thyroid ultrasound to see if they shrunk or grew, or contained solid components.

My naturopathic doctor prescribed/recommended iodine drops daily to shrink the cysts.

It has been 3 months and I have 3 more to go before I have the repeat thyroid ultrasound.

She also said that my BBT during my follicular phase is 1 full degree Celsius TOO LOW and that my entire body will function better if we raise my BBT temperature to where it's supposed to be (37 C during follicular phase). She noted that my temps were erratic and that they need to smooth out.

So I am going to start taking Dessicated Thyroid as a natural thryoid hormone replacement.

Anyone else in the same boat? :)
Last edited by Ravyndancer on Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me: 39 multinodular goitre, completed 3 cycles of heavy metal detox, HSG Sept 20/12 - R tube open, L was slightly blocked, cleared during procedure, exploratory lap Feb 25/13 found mild endo (2 spots) removed and tubes flushed.
DH: 40 (healthy SA!)
TTC #1 since June 2011
Clomid cycle #1 100 mg CD3-7 April 2013 = BFN
Clomid cycle #2 100 mg CD3-7 May 2013 = didn't BD during fertile window = BFN
June 2013 - 2 years TTC. I give up. No more Clomid, no more temping, no more OPKs. Distraught :(
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ravyndancer » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Day one of dessicated thyroid hormone :mrgreen:

Should take a few weeks to notice any changes in sxs. Will keep any lurkers updated :wink:
Me: 39 multinodular goitre, completed 3 cycles of heavy metal detox, HSG Sept 20/12 - R tube open, L was slightly blocked, cleared during procedure, exploratory lap Feb 25/13 found mild endo (2 spots) removed and tubes flushed.
TTC #1 since June 2011
June 2013 - 2 years TTC. I give up. No more Clomid, no more temping, no more OPKs. Distraught :(
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaJuly » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 am

I posted on the general ttc thread. I have hypothyroidism. Have not been told about cysts in my case.
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ravyndancer » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:45 pm

AnnaJuly wrote:I posted on the general ttc thread. I have hypothyroidism. Have not been told about cysts in my case.

I read your post, thank you!

I'm going to add the info I posted there on here too:

hopefulone28 wrote:
Ravyn, just out of curiosity since you said your temps are low- What is a normal range?

Hi! My temps in the follicular phase were averaging about 97.3 F and they are supposed to be 98.2 F. That is one full degree too low. Here is a link to my chart from January:

My Ovulation Chart

My temps were a bit erratic too. They are supposed to be more stable. It's like a car that is cold in the winter, it doesn't run well unless it's warmed up. Same with the human body. In order for all of our systems (digestion, hormones, metabolism etc) to run like they are supposed to, we should be at an optimal temperature.

Here is a website that I found helpful:

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabol ... ture-graph

And this is one about dessicated thyroid hormone, which I just started today! Will keep you posted on how I do

http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/

PLUS an excellent article that is on a thread in the infertility forum:

http://www.sheknows.com/health-and-wellness/articles/807574/infertility-is-your-thyroid-to-blame
TTC #1 since June 2011
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hopefulone28 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:29 pm

I'll be lurking :)

Here's a question I didn't ask you before: How did you find out you have cysts?
BFP @ 9dpo, September 11, 2012. Hoping and praying for a sticky bean!
1st beta at 11dpo: 88
2nd beta at 18dpo: 2088
Heard beany's :hb: for the first time at 11 weeks, 3 days!

TTC#1 Since October, 2011
January, 2012- Chemical Pregnancy
June, 2012- Diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism
Taking prenatal & Synthroid
My Ovulation Chart

hopefulone28
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ravyndancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:48 am

hopefulone28 wrote:I'll be lurking :)

Here's a question I didn't ask you before: How did you find out you have cysts?

Thanks for asking! When I started preliminary testing for fertility the doctor ran blood tests to test thyroid function. I can't remember what my #s were, but T3 and T4 were in the 'normal' range, but TSH was below normal. It was like, 0.2 or something like that. So the doctor was confused because I don't have ANY hypERthyroid sxs, but several hyPOthyroid sxs. So he ordered a thyroid u/s. That showed 11 cysts :cry:

My Naturopathic doctor could tell I was hypothyroid because my BBTs are too low, so she put me on Lugol's solution (iodine drops) to shrink the cysts.

I researched Dessicated Thyroid and flat out asked her for a prescription. I am taking 1 grain every morning and call me crazy, but today is day 4 and these are the changes I feel, if it's placebo, I don't care, I'll take it!

* I was frequently feeling constipated or had firm stools despite having a decent diet (I eat my veggies!). Now, I have had daily soft stools! yay! LOL
* I have woken up before my alarm the last 2 days and have no trouble getting out of bed to start my day, whereas before I'd keep hitting snooze.
* I feel ridiculously happy and my mood is so much lighter.
* Dropped 2 lbs and don't feel as bloated.
* sleeping peacefully through the night.

Will keep posting updates! Oh, and I think I'm 5 DPO.
TTC #1 since June 2011
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby hopefulone28 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:54 pm

That's exciting that you're feeling those changes already!
BFP @ 9dpo, September 11, 2012. Hoping and praying for a sticky bean!
1st beta at 11dpo: 88
2nd beta at 18dpo: 2088
Heard beany's :hb: for the first time at 11 weeks, 3 days!

TTC#1 Since October, 2011
January, 2012- Chemical Pregnancy
June, 2012- Diagnosed with mild hypothyroidism
Taking prenatal & Synthroid
My Ovulation Chart

hopefulone28
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ravyndancer » Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:53 pm

Update:

Week three of being on natural thyroid:

I am also detoxing for heavy metals, see my thread if you're interested:
http://www.twoweekwait.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=192376

Since taking the natural thyroid I have HUGELY noticed an improvement in my BMs!!!

For the last few years I have been not necessarily constipated, but had hard BMs that were effortful to pass. Since taking my thyroid meds, I noticed almost immediately, and continuously, that my BMs are so much softer. YAY! I feel so much better!

My mood has been fantastic too. Even though I am sad that we're not actively TTC right now, I feel ok about it. I am happy to be working on improving my health. I just feel happier! And I went on a 3 hour cross country bike ride the other day and didn't pass out! LOL So, mood, energy, and digestion are already improving.

I started taking my BBT again, but so far, no improvement. My Naturopath told me that 90 mg (?) are what you need to take to see an increase in BBT, and for the first month I am at 60 mg (sorry, I can't remember what the measurement is, I just know it's 60 and 90). So, next week I will increase my thyroid meds to 90 a day. I can't wait as I am hoping that I will see even more improvements! :)
TTC #1 since June 2011
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby Ravyndancer » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:02 pm

GREAT NEWS!

I just had my 6 month repeat thyroid ultrasound and....

"Significant reduction" in the size of the biggest cyst which last time it looked like there was a solid component to it (not good) and NOW, it has totally shrunk and is only fluid filled!

I am beyond thrilled! I believe that cyst shrunk because I took Lugol's Solution pretty regularly for the past 6 months. My Naturopath told me that she had successfully treated thyroid cysts with iodine, and I am further proof!

I had raised the desiccated thyroid med from 90 to 125 and immediately suffered from rapid heart rate, so following my naturopath's advice, I quit taking it for 4 days and may or may not even need to go back on it!

My thyroid levels all came back pretty normal too and I don't have the antibodies for Hashimotos or Graves disease. So I'm super excited.

Still bummed at not being pregnant and I think AF is on her way tomorrow.... But happy that thyroid issues are WAY better. YAY! :mrgreen:
TTC #1 since June 2011
My Ovulation Chart
Ravyndancer
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Postby AnnaJuly » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:23 pm

Hey,
Glad to see your updates and that you are doing better. Sounds like you had an iodine deficiency.
Mine is autoimmune from anti thyroid anti bodies. But I am living in a place with non iodized Salt and low levels of selenium in the soil.
As a precaution, I now use sea salt or look for iodized salt. Also I make sure my prenatal has at least 200 mg selenium as helps lower anti thyroid antibodies.
What does your naturopath say about the future, do you need to always take the drops or will including iodine in your diet from other sources be ok, iodized salt, seaweed etc?
I know my mood also improved once I got my thyroid levels under control.
:jump:
AnnaJuly
Girlfriend
Girlfriend

Return to TTC Naturally