Taking all the supplements at once?

This board is for anyone who wants to discuss TTC naturally with herbal supplements, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

Taking all the supplements at once?

Postby LiamsMommy » Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:47 pm

Hi all, I'm brand new to ttc on herbs/vitamins. I have pcos and have like 3 periods a year without taking metformin. I was on metformin 2000mg/day for almost 2 years with no bfp's, so i gave it up. Now I'm trying vitex, soy isoflavones, wild yam, evening primrose oil, maca, fertility blend sp-1, b complex, and folic acid. I haven't had a period in 3 months though, so I'm going to my Obgyn in a couple days to get back on metformin and possibly progesterone(?) to get my period ASAP so I can start my herbs. Can anyone tell me if how I plan on taking them sounds ok?

Vitex all cycle except during menstruation
B complex all cycle
Folic acid all cycle
Maca all cycle except during menstruation
Evening primrose oil cd1-O
Wild yam cd1-O
Soy isoflavones cd 3-10
Fertility blend sp-1 cd 3-10
LiamsMommy
Friend

Re: Taking all the supplements at once?

Postby Zraii » Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:41 pm

all of these are great, but you're missing all the critical vitamins for fertility from the list I see.

First of all, i would suggest as much vitamin C as you can stomach. I prefer chewable as its difficult to swallow and it doesn't irritate my stomach as much. You should take as much vitamin c until you get mild diarrhea, then step it back. My upper limit of vitamin C is roughly 30,000MG daily. Yes, you read that right, 30 grams. I would say around 10,000 is good. Also make sure your DH/SO is taking them as well. Vitamin C does great things for the little swimmers.

Take about 5,000IU or so of Vitamin D3 and also take Magnesium at 400mg. Calcium and magnesium work together in the body.

Take a b complex vitamin, plus additional b6 and b12. You can read more about it at doctoryourself.com

Vitamin E at either 200 or 400IU will assist in both fertility and making your hair and skin look awesome :)

Folic acid would be good - you need it once you're pregnant anyway. (oo i see now you're taking that, good deal)

http://www.doctoryourself.com/pregnancy_lactation.html <-- more about fertility here

As far as the herbs you're taking, wild yam is ok, iffy in my book though. Never got much from it except when I brewed it as tea. Not entirely sure how one single dose of wild yam on O day would even do you any good... but im not an herbologist, im a vitamin nerd :)

I dont know what Maca is, and no idea what 'fertility blend' is... whats in that? And what's Vitex?

Anyway, hope that helps. Best of luck and keep taking the vits! Good stuff!
Zraii
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Re: Taking all the supplements at once?

Postby mrs.g » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:48 am

I would agree with Zraii in needing a lot more vitamins... I would suggest a good, high quality (more than 1 pill a day and not chewable) prenatal vitamin in addition to what you've listed. Also, some other ones you might consider: CoQ10, folate (instead of folic acid), omega 3, and a probiotic. I second Zraii's suggestions of Vit C, D3, and magnesium too!

Zraii - I think she planned to take the EPO and wild yam CD1 to ovulation... so 2 weeks or so :) Right, LiamsMommy? How'd this work out?

(I realize this is an old post but I think the ideas are good to add since it is clearly still being read :))
mrs.g

Return to TTC Naturally