TCM and acupuncture

This board is for anyone who wants to discuss TTC naturally with herbal supplements, etc.

Moderators: unaffected, JessM, southernbelle, maddy

TCM and acupuncture

Postby maburaker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:13 pm

My DH and I have been TTC for a year now and have had no such luck. Fortunately, while I'm visiting my family in Korea my mother is having me try some traditional medicine and different types of acupuncture. Although it is for health reasons to make my body healthier and stronger and not necessarily to help conceive, I'm VERYY excited to try it. I have read that it helps A LOT and I hope that in our case it does! If anyone has any input or advice it would be very much appreciated! And please send some baby dust our way! Thanks in advance! <3
maburaker

Re: TCM and acupuncture

Postby baruderu » Mon Sep 30, 2013 3:29 am

Fab! And thanks for your PM. :-)
My son was born in Feb 2014
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby maburaker » Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:41 am

thanks for your post and replying!!
maburaker

Postby becbaf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:54 pm

This is my first month trying TCM and acupuncture. I too am trying to strengthen my body and I've been really happy so far. I have definitely noticed an improvement in my energy throughout the day. I have to say that the TCM tastes AWFUL! But I just remind myself that that is how much I want a baby. My suggestion is to have something to take the taste away ready next to you so that you can get through it. Good luck and lots of baby dust :)
DH & I have been TTC #2 since March 2013
DS - 2007
TCM - seems to have balanced my hormones :)
BFP March 19th 2014
Ectopic pregnancy discovered at 6 wks - April 2014 (lost right tube)[/url<aImageImage
becbaf
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby baruderu » Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:17 am

Hi becbaf. Lovely to hear you are trying TCM. The tea is horrendous, isn't it? :shock: but what a difference only a few weeks makes. I used the same method you did...drink the cup of tea down in one go and have something else ready to have a sip of right afterwards. Bleurgh! :D

All the best and please keep us posted. :-)
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby maburaker » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:37 am

I'm glad you're trying TCM and acupuncture! I've definitely noticed a difference as well! I really like and I've gotten used to the medicine..its not that bad anymore haha. Good luck to you too and lots of baby dust!!
maburaker

Postby becbaf » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Hi maburaker and baruderu. AF has showed this month which is a downer. Hopefully my body will continue to grow stronger and when it finally happens I will have a healthy pregnancy. Maburaker, how are you doing? Baruderu are you continuing TCM throughout your pregnancy?
DS - 2007
BFP March 19th 2014
Ectopic pregnancy discovered at 6 wks - April 2014 (lost right tube)[/url<aImageImage
becbaf
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby baruderu » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:37 am

Hi becbaf,

I did TCM for 3 months before trying to conceive (weekly acupuncture and 5 days/week of tea), and carried on for for the first trimester (with adjustments to both the tea composition and the placement of the needles). I stopped at Week 16 under the instruction of my TCM practitioner, but had a follow up acupuncture treatment at Week 20, and I will go again at Week 28. Closer to the end of the pregnancy I will return for weekly acupuncture treatments to help with delivery, and to ensure baba is in the right position for birth.

Can I ask how long you've been doing the TCM treatment for? I remember counting down the days before the 3 months of "prep" were done! It was so frustrating but my practitioner just reminded me that my body wasn't ready yet and that I had to do the prep for at least 3 months before the egg would be in prime condition. Boy was he right! We succeeded the very first time we tried after 3 months and here I am today. Hope that's helpful. :)
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby becbaf » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:37 pm

Hi Baruderu, thanks for your reply it was really helpful. I have only had one month of acupuncture and probably two weeks in total of tea morning and night. I hadn't actually discussed when I should be TTC with my acupuncturist so maybe I should be taking a break for a while to strengthen my body. I'm seeing her on Tuesday so I'll see what she has to say. Thanks again :)
DS - 2007
BFP March 19th 2014
becbaf
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby baruderu » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:26 am

You're very welcome, glad I could help! Yes you should ask your practitioner for her recommendation on when to start trying to conceive. Have you read The Infertility Cure by Randine Lewis? She talks about TCM and infertility and mentions the 3 months of treatment minimum before trying to conceive. It's a great read, You might even be able to google some excerpts on it :D
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby becbaf » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:40 am

I saw my acupuncturist today and we talked about how light my AF is and she said that I wont get pregnant until that improves and my body gets stronger. Sadly she told me that it could take a year or more to get rid of the side effects of being on the pill! I guess it's nearly been that long anyway. She has changed my medicine to "help my blood" and said we'll wait and see if there is an improvement when I get my next AF. I guess it wasn't the answer I'd hoped for but there's not much I can do except drink my fowl medicine and wait. Thanks for recommending the book and sorry if I sound like a downer it's just one of those weeks.
DS - 2007
BFP March 19th 2014
becbaf
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby baruderu » Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:26 am

Becbaf you're not a downer so please don't apologise. That is tough news to hear, and I'm sorry that's what she said. A year seems like a very long time though, and I personally wouldn't be surprise if you notice drastic differences long before a year is up, so please don't fixate on that length of time. Everyone's bodies are different and some react very, very quickly to TCM, so you may get the green light in only a few months. You'll notice the difference in terms of your monthly visitor. I noticed a huge difference after only a couple of months. Sorry for TMI but I used to have lots of clots and that is not how it should be in a healthy body. Two months after TCM the clots were all but gone and the cramping was next to nothing as well. Remember too that she is probably giving you the worst case scenario so you don't get your hopes up. My practitioner was blown away when I conceived after 3 months. He had given me the "3 months MINIMUM" guideline and because I wasn't on progesterone or any other treatment he was very surprised that we succeeded on the first try. He warned that if we did try before the 3 months we might conceive but that we'd likely miscarry again because the health of the egg wouldn't be up to scratch. If I might be a downer myself you might want to avoid trying to conceive for a little bit because if you do conceive and then miscarry you'll likely be advised to wait another 3 months until your hormones return to normal. Really not what you want to hear so I am sorry but I thought I would warn you :cry: At any rate please don't hang your hat on the 12 months you were told. It just underlines the point that you need to get your body ready. Did she tell you which foods to avoid and which to eat lots of? Are you inhaling boat loads of spinach like I was? :shock:
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby becbaf » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:41 am

Thanks Baruderu. I guess I'm doing everything that I can so I just have to accept whatever happens. It will probably be quite good for me to take a few months off TTC anyway. I was told to avoid cold foods especially during my monthly visitor. I am also meant to eat lamb and beef and fresh fruit and vegetables. I might try to increase my spinach intake seeing as it worked so well for you. And now we wait and see what next month will bring. Thanks again for your advise and just chatting general. I hope your pregnancy is going well. Do you know the sex of the baby?
DS - 2007
BFP March 19th 2014
becbaf
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby baruderu » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:35 am

Sounds like you're definitely on the right track! I ate 300 or 400 grams of steamed spinach per day (which is a heck of a lot of spinach, hence the steaming), avoided anything from the broccoli family (cauliflower and peppers) because they are hard for the body to digest, no coffee, tea (including decaf), and avoided hot and cold foods and beverages as well. No spicy foods either which was depressing! I ate blackberries and blueberries every day, as well as handfuls of nuts. I was told not to increase my heart rate too much (aerobic exercise pulls energy away from the womb) and rest, rest, rest (especially during the monthly visitor)! After following this change in eating habits for about a month my stomach bloat was nearly gone, it was really cool.
When you have your acupuncture sessions do you fall asleep during them? I could never stay awake, they were so relaxing :D
We are having a boy, thanks for asking. The pregnancy is going very well I think! Another benefit of TCM which I never considered until it happened was the impact on the genetic screening results. Not everyone chooses to have those tests done of course but because I'm 40 I chose to have the NT scan and Integrated Prenatal Screening done. It gives you a risk factor for the baby having certain genetic conditions such as Down syndrome, spina bifida and others. Based on age alone my risk for Down's was something like 1 in 400 or 600. Typically results in the low thousands are considered very good (e.g. 1 in 3000 or 6000). My result was 1 in 12,600 for Down Syndrome and 1 in 16,000 for Trisomy 18/13. This is an unbelievably amazing result and my TCM practitioner mentioned how helpful the tea is in ensuring the health of the fetus. :D Another thing to keep in mind as you swallow the foul tea! :)
Hope you're feeling a little better than yesterday. That was some negative news to take in but just focus on the positive and trust that things are already improving in your body :D
Barbara
baruderu
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Postby maburaker » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 am

Sorry I haven't replied! I'm sorry to hear about your news Becbaf. And you're not a downer! Just keep thinking positive! My mom had told me to not think about it and when the time is right, it will happen. Barbara is right, just focus on getting healthier and keep that beautiful chin up! Wonderful things can happen when you least expect it ;]
I'm doing alright. I had my AF and it was just as painful as last month but the flow was a lot heavier, hardly any clots, and the color was much better (I didn't realize that my period was suppose to be a certain color lol). My practitioner told me that my next few periods will be heavier to get rid of the old and bad blood. How often are you going to acupuncture?? I'm going almost everyday and I drink TCM 3x's a day and have to follow a diet. Do you have certain foods you have to avoid? I have so many things that it makes it hard to find something to eat..lol I cry sometimes when I want a steak and pasta! I'll have to add some more spinach though! I had gone to an ultrasound appointment and found out that I have a tilted uterus (which is ok), my left ovary is shriveled up and weird looking due to a cyst I had but the doctor say that it was bad, and my right ovary has a cyst. I'm hoping that the TCM and acupuncture will help with the cysts. I didn't realize that we would have to wait at least 3 months. I'll have to talk to my practitioner about it and get some advice from him.
Congratulations Barbara on having a baby boy! That's so exciting!! How have you been feeling?? I'm happy that your results were outstanding!
maburaker

Next

Return to TTC Naturally