When did you know it was time for IVF?

Is in vitro fertilization helping you achieve your dream of parenthood? Discuss IVF, FET, donor egg and surrogacy here!

Moderators: JessM, southernbelle, maddy, unaffected

Postby unaffected » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:19 am

cheryldc wrote:PTCruiser- We are about the same age, and had a similar initial diagnosis of unexplained infertility. We tried for about 16 months before moving on to IVF.
We had 3 failed IUI's despite having 4-5 strong follicles and decent sperm count.
Last week I had my IVF egg retrieval - 19 eggs, 18 were mature! I got a call the next morning that ZERO fertilized overnight (conventional IVF) so they did rescue ICSI on the 18 eggs. It turns out we had binding issues and would never be able to get pregnant without ICSI.
Because it was 2nd day ICSI only 4 fertilized normally, and two were transferred today. What a miracle!
The peace of mind, and success rates, you get from IVF is worth the money if you can swing it. My insurance covered 6 rounds of IUI and after the 3rd I just had this feeling it was never going to work. Thank goodness I didn't waste any more energy, emotion, time or money on IUI!
The best of luck to you!!

Wow, thanks for sharing that! Very interesting, although I'm sorry it happened to you. I'm so happy that they were able to fertilize some of the eggs and transfer two embies! FX for you!
Me (Kara): 30 DH: 30 ♥
TTC#1 since 2007
:angel2: Jan 2012 - No hb at 9w1d - d&c (Turner Syndrome/Monosomy X)
FET#3 - BFP!
Betas: 8dp6dt/14dpo - 124; 10dp6dt/16dpo - 317; 16dp6dt/22dpo - 6,289; 23dp6dt/29dpo - 32,961
It's a boy!
Henry Marshall arrived on January 9, 2013 (39w2d)
8lbs 5oz, 20"

My Blog
unaffected
Super moderator
Super moderator

Postby ptcruzer80 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:57 am

cheryldc wrote:PTCruiser- We are about the same age, and had a similar initial diagnosis of unexplained infertility. We tried for about 16 months before moving on to IVF.
We had 3 failed IUI's despite having 4-5 strong follicles and decent sperm count.
Last week I had my IVF egg retrieval - 19 eggs, 18 were mature! I got a call the next morning that ZERO fertilized overnight (conventional IVF) so they did rescue ICSI on the 18 eggs. It turns out we had binding issues and would never be able to get pregnant without ICSI.
Because it was 2nd day ICSI only 4 fertilized normally, and two were transferred today. What a miracle!
The peace of mind, and success rates, you get from IVF is worth the money if you can swing it. My insurance covered 6 rounds of IUI and after the 3rd I just had this feeling it was never going to work. Thank goodness I didn't waste any more energy, emotion, time or money on IUI!
The best of luck to you!!

Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience Cheryl and I really hope you get your BFP!

I think that husband and I may be experiencing a similar situation as everything that is testable seems ideal as is my response to Clomid. We've decided to move forward with IVF in November. I'm currently on Day 3 of Clomid and I'll do my second IUI next week probably as I go in on 9/19 for my follie scan. If it doesn't work, I've already set up my IVF appt. with a different clinic/different state, as we're moving at the end of October/beginning of November. I'm actually excited about my October 10th IVF consult, let's get this show on the road!

On a side note, our insurance doesn't cover anything so I feel like why waste our money and time on IUIs? I doubt injectables would be any better for me as there's been plenty of opportunity for the sperm and egg to bind (2+ years a la natural, 1 failed IUI with 3 20+ mm follies). Pretty much our minds are made up and we do have a back up plan, but we'll have to see if we qualify for the shared risk plan at our clinic. Either way, we're hoping to freeze some embryos for future cycles.

Paula
ptcruzer80
TTC Princess
TTC Princess

Postby inlovewithjhk » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:13 pm

My IVF decision was basically made for me. My quick TTC story is that we started TTC when I was 24, after 3 months of not getting pg I had a gut feeling something was wrong. I had great normal cycles and had age on my side. After 6 months we saw a RE for a consult (at my urging!). My DH's SA was devastating (see siggy). My RE said it was IVF or nothing basically. We started right away and less than 11 months after TTC we were PG with my DD. Finances are not an issue for us, thankfully, as insurance covers IVF up to $20,000.

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law (DH's brother) have binding issues as well. They had 12 eggs, 1/2 ICSI and 1/2 not, none of the non ICSI fertilized.
Me- 27- Tests show everything works perfectly!
DH- 36- SA results = 80 million, 30% motility (3% forward progressive), <1% strict morphology- Diagnosis= severe male factor infertility

IVF #1, 11/09- BFP! Its a girl! Born 8/18/09

Tried naturally for 1.5 years after my DD was born... guess things still don't work right!

FET #1, 01/11- BFP! :angel: at 6w

IVF #2- 5/11- 11 eggs retrieved, 9 fert! Hoping for a day 5 transfer.... grow babies grow!!
5/31/11- BPF!! on FRER!
Baby girl #2 due 2/10/12 :)
inlovewithjhk
BabyDuster
BabyDuster

Previous

Return to IVF